True Detective (HBO)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

jamrage

Re: True Detective (HBO)

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:Thought it was awful. Most of the momentum in plot development they had from last week was undercut. Any tension they had in the opening standoff was diffused by cutting away from it for no other reason then to check in with the other cliffhanger... which also landed with little effect. Vince having the inspirational talk with the kid works on paper for his character but was played terribly, it felt like 17 hours long. Even worse, this is a scene predicated on a death of a character who was never properly established, and the significance of his death remains completely in the air, it was barely even referred to since it happened.

Velcoro's coke freakout was like the scene from Wet Hot where they go into town to party for an hour. Orgy scene was pretty ridiculous in an entertaining way, but any good fun to be had here was undercut by molestation thing which neatly doubles how clumsy and hacky Ani's character is.

Basically, any step into a good direction is sidetracked by two steps into some dumb shit, every time
:lol: :lol:

You've made some good points here. Particularly about how it's about the son of a dead character that was never established. This is pretty funny btw: http://www.pajiba.com/true_detective/wh ... ective.php I chose to focus more on how Vaughn was just trying to protect the kid much like Farrell does in the same episode, and use it as a development of his character.

Ani really could have been a great character, it's a shame. Being raped by Charles Manson while looking for unicorns must have had a pretty deleterious effect on her childhood. Her finally knifing someone to death however was neat.

We actually got some action this time, and I felt like the show moved along pretty briskly this episode while actually being entertaining which is why I look on it favorably. Still, that is damning with faint praise. The show is an absolute mess. There are too many subplots dropping in and out, I have no idea who that girl is that they pulled out of the mansion for example, and why do we care about the jewels again?

It will be interesting to see how they attempt to clean everything up in the final two episodes. Surely we're looking at a showdown with Vaughn and Farrell in the last episode.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

jamrage wrote:Surely we're looking at a showdown with Vaughn and Farrell in the last episode.
IDK kinda thinking it will go the other way, one will save the other or something like that. They're making too much effort to position their relationship as some sort of fucked up camaraderie that is the closest thing to a real friendship that damaged man of violence can experience (you gotta read this in an increasingly low and husky voice for it to make sense, that's how shit sounds in Pizza's head)
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

i think the fact that the most recent episode seemed to have the most momentum in terms of plot and action speaks volumes to how much wasted time and unnecessary subplots have been a part of the preceding episodes. there is entirely way too much stuff that was addressed that won't be cleaned up or touched upon in the last two episodes. way too many undeveloped characters and the stakes seem to be lower and lower as the show attempts to make them seem higher and higher.

pretty sure the cop who came to ferrel's house and passively aggressively threatened him is the masked shooter and/or the guy who met with the dead girl.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I'm sorry but this week was complete and utter trash. Farrell and Vaughn's scene was the only thing worth watching and by the end of the hour, it felt like that was in a completely different episode. I fucking hated it. Now he's gotta deal with Mexicans? Like e-fucking-nough already with his shitshow. The only end for Vaughn is getting killed, he's got too much shit going on for it to be wrapped up in a sensible way. But then again, this show is ludicrous so he'll probably discover a copy of the hard drive in a unicorn's asshole at that hippie farm.

Everything is somehow "connected" to everything else but...actually...connects to nothing. It's like building a sandwich except you add too many different types of cheese and slices of meat and when you finally take a bite, it tastes like nothing.

And the music (like for basically this whole series) was seriously unbearable.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:
jamrage wrote:Surely we're looking at a showdown with Vaughn and Farrell in the last episode.
IDK kinda thinking it will go the other way, one will save the other or something like that. They're making too much effort to position their relationship as some sort of fucked up camaraderie that is the closest thing to a real friendship that damaged man of violence can experience (you gotta read this in an increasingly low and husky voice for it to make sense, that's how shit sounds in Pizza's head)
You're probably right. They've been setting it up so much they'll go in a different direction to surprise us at the end.

Kace

Post by Kace »

I initially thought we'd have to wait for the sex party scene until the last episode. During that dream sequence in episode 3 Farrell's dad cop mentions his son being shot to death in a forest full of Sequoias. So I'd figure the main characters would stumble upon some orgy in the Bohemian Grove (which also lies in a forest of giant trees and is a place where the elite hold occult parties), with Farrell ending up being killed while they're all trying to escape. That would make for a much better ending when you think of it, especially with all the foreboding about Farrell being fed up with his live(s).

Also, with a name like Antigone, how can the show not end without detective Bezzeridis killing herself? Maybe after falling in love with Farrell (who then dies) and finding out her daddy was the one who orchestrated all the murders and sex parties.

That would leave Kitsch -the shitties character of the show- as the sole survivor- which sounds hilarious but makes perfect sense plotwise because from the get go Pizza sets the story up like he's going to be the only redeemable protagonist.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ballers is better than True Detective. Let that sink in.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Don't worry guys, we'll find out next episode he was just shot with red paintballs. He'll be fine.

But really, thank Christ he's dead. Episode was moderately entertaining, but did we really need to spend so much time on Vince burning everything down? How did they know that Ani was the person who killed the security guard, so quickly? How convenient that Vince had a henchman that knew just about everything about the plot against him. What a shame he didn't pressure him before this episode.

Was that guy who killed Kitsch crow face? Who was he exactly? Did he kill the D.A. too? Sorry guys, it's difficult to pay attention to all the convoluted plot lines these days. Words with Friends was more compelling.

Thoroughly predictable hook up between Ani and Valcoro. "I'm a bad person." "No you're not." Proceed to the 69 position. Wretched.

One more to go, boys.

Post by 907 »

jamrage wrote:Don't worry guys, we'll find out next episode he was just shot with red paintballs. He'll be fine.

But really, thank Christ he's dead. Episode was moderately entertaining, but did we really need to spend so much time on Vince burning everything down? How did they know that Ani was the person who killed the security guard, so quickly? How convenient that Vince had a henchman that knew just about everything about the plot against him. What a shame he didn't pressure him before this episode.

Was that guy who killed Kitsch crow face? Who was he exactly? Did he kill the D.A. too? Sorry guys, it's difficult to pay attention to all the convoluted plot lines these days. Words with Friends was more compelling.

Thoroughly predictable hook up between Ani and Valcoro. "I'm a bad person." "No you're not." Proceed to the 69 position. Wretched.

One more to go, boys.

Dude who shot Riggins was one of the higher ranking Vinci cops, likely also the dude the Mexican hooker was talking about when she said a tall white cop gave her the shit to pawn.

Yeah, this shit is way convoluted.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Last 2 episodes almost made me forget about the first 5 or so. Really good last night, still convoluted but I seemed to care more than ever. VV killed it and even Taylor went out in style before he went a'la The Departed.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Everytime Vince Vaughn starts on some 'deep' speech (about 3 a show) I start to pay attention more to my computer/phone then the show. Really hope things don't end well for him.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

What's so complicated about the story? If you just know that basically everyone is double-crossing everyone, then you can write whatever the fuck you want and it will seem plausible. Because hey guys, someone is double-crossing someone else so whatever the fuck is going on totally makes sense because I can easily explain it by this guy double-crossing some other guy when his original double-cross backfired and double-crossed him. Or whatever.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

TRIPLE CROSS!

Professor Piff

Post by Professor Piff »

Blockhead wrote:Ballers is better than True Detective. Let that sink in.
Even you dont believe this and if you do, then you sir have an IQ of an ant. Ballers is downright horrendous.

I have read through this thread and while i'm not trying to defend this season of TD, anybody who thought a show consisting of Vince Vaughn, Taylor Kitsch, Colin Farrell, and Rachel McAdams was going to be any good from the get go, should be ashamed.

I will say that farrell, vaughn, and mcadams have all outdone themselves, as far as acting goes, in this season of TD (aside from vaughns earlier comedic work). I will agree that the plot has been messy all season long. Too much time was spent on the character development. And now, a lot of the plot is starting to situate itself in the last 3 episodes; not good. Kitsch's character is unnecessary to say the least.

To me, this season is about 4 cops, with dirty pasts, that are all seeking redemption of some kind (as mentioned in an earlier episode about 'making things right'). And maybe if they make it out of everything, can finally let go. I think Farrell and Vaughns screen time together is the highlight of the show. Coming second, is McAdams' character (who i agree is very under utilized).

I could go on and on addressing the different questions in this thread but im not trying to write an essay, which i've probably already done. I just want this season to be over and hopefully they bring a better story next time. It doesnt matter how this all ends to me. I just know that TD seems to bring the best out of almost any actor (Kitsch excluded). Just my 2 cents which means squat on a board full of know it alls.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^
Ballers isn't good. But it's coherent. It's not trying to be something is could never be. Ballers is easy. It's stupid fun for people to watch while looking at their phones. It's a "what you see is what you get" show.
This show , however, is a complete mess. The writing. The acting. It just...well...it sucks. I'll take something that isn't trying to be more than what it could be over this try hard bullshit any day.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i think the poor writing is more to blame than the quality of the acting. i still can't believe vince vaughn actually said some of those lines from this season.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I really only watched the last episode so that I could still read and comprehend this thread. Pizza clearly wanted to have s2 end with a bang after everyone hated on the end of s1. The last two weeks at least attempted to be engaging and I wouldn't be surprised if the final episode is the best one.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Someone uttered the words "everything is fucking" as a serious line of dialogue on this show.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Blockhead wrote:^
Ballers isn't good. But it's coherent. It's not trying to be something is could never be. Ballers is easy. It's stupid fun for people to watch while looking at their phones. It's a "what you see is what you get" show.
This show , however, is a complete mess. The writing. The acting. It just...well...it sucks. I'll take something that isn't trying to be more than what it could be over this try hard bullshit any day.
Reggie on ballers is the worst character on either of these two shows.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

stupidregister wrote:Someone uttered the words "everything is fucking" as a serious line of dialogue on this show.
It's a terrible show.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

alpha wrote:
Blockhead wrote:^
Reggie on ballers is the worst character on either of these two shows.
That's like saying "This rotten tuna tastes worse than this rotten salmon". At some point, it stops mattering.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Fuck all y'all. I like Ballers for what it is. Any Given Sunday meets Entourage works just fine for me.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:Fuck all y'all. I like Ballers for what it is. Any Given Sunday meets Entourage works just fine for me.
I said earlier in the thread Ballers>true detective.
At least it's entertaining. It's not very good though, let's be real.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

For 30 minutes on a Sunday night where nothing beside Ray D is all that entertaining, it's good enough.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

finally am caught up on this. I don't see where the hate is coming from; Vaughn is very good and knife girl is phenomenal
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Yeah......no.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Pretty dumb finale.

Valcoro and Ani have sex a few times and all of a sudden they're the world's greatest couple. I love how the women on this show have Jedi powers and can feel when their men die. Once was dumb enough, two is a hangable offense.

Vince Vaughn's hallucinations were so hacky, we've seen this so many times before. LOL @ the "You were like a son to me" line before Vince blew off the Russian's head. You knew as soon as they got that money they were both dead. Valcoro just seemed to give up at the end when he had a transponder on and one car following him. What does he do? He drives to a remote area that has shitty cell phone service where they can kill you easily. No wonder your message didn't go through, moron. Did anyone else think the red headed kid got fatter and fatter as the show wore on?

In the end, this show had to many meandering plotlines that were explained far less than they should have been. If the show had 10 or 12 episodes they might have been able to tell this story a bit more cleanly, but it always would have had problems. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy watching the show at times. I thought Vaughn was fantastic, and Farrell impressed me some although his gargle with sandpaper routine wore thin by the end. There was actually some good writing here, but there far too many cringeworthy moments. I'm in for a third season (if it happens) just to see how they rebound.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Terrible fucking finale for an utterly dreadful second season.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Inexplicably really enjoyed the finale. It wasn't good good but it was good in the context of the clusterfuck of the season overall. Despite all the cliches and obvious telegraphing of pretty much every resolution, this was still as good of an outcome as could've been hoped for.

I liked that they more or less acknowledged that the plot was too convoluted to pay off with any kind of resonant conclusions, so they just breezed through some obligatory resolutions and mostly focused on the nihilist wipe-out of the leads. It's suggestive of what Pizza had in mind I think, probably never really gave a shit about who killed Casper or the diamonds, just wanted to create a world where everything is corrupt and some damaged people get mercilessly fucked up.

"Failed to send message' thing was perfectly emblematic of the season as a whole - a seed of a good dramatic idea, implemented in such a fucktarded and nonsensical way that it becomes nearly self-parody.