Black Mirror (UK Series)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Black Mirror (UK Series)

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Decided to check this out finally after reading so much about it, and have to say it's the best new thing I've watched this year.
It's an anthology show, where each episode is completely unrelated to the previous one and stands on its own as an hour long piece of cinema.
Just watched the first season, its only 3 episodes, but two of them literally stand up to any of the best sci-fi from the past decade.
One is about a virtual world that is essentially a prison, the other is about people with implants that allow them to record and replay their memories at will. Don't want to say too much more to spoil them but holy shit. Apparently Robert Downey already optioned one of the episodes to turn it into a full length feature.

Anyone else check this out yet? Will probably watch season 2 tomorrow.

Dan

Re: Black Mirror (UK Series)

Post by Dan »

I just found out about this show a few weeks ago. Downloaded both seasons, but haven't started them yet. Working my way through The Shield at the moment. Will start this one next.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

never seen it but it looks good. i'm going to check it out thanks

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Yeah, this is really good. Some are better than others. The implant one is amazing and the first episode, "The National Anthem" - Jesus. Amazing.

The showed another 3 over here recently. Charlie Brooker is a great writer.

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

NAH 'NATIONAL ANTHEM' WAS POINTLESS. A DECENT WATCH BUT WITHOUT PURPOSE (ART IS A DISTRACTION? WAIT, WHO SAID THAT?). AM A FAN O BROOKER, ENTERTAINING WRITER, WORTH A GIGGLE ON BOTH THE BOX AND PAGE BUT NOT NEARLY AS SUBVERSIVE AS HE IMAGINES HIMSELF TO BE. THE FIRST SEASON THIRD EP IS THE REAL GEM (WRITTEN BY JESSE ARMSTRONG, INCIDENTALLY THE ONE PICKED UP FO DEVELOP BY RDJ). BROOKER IN THE SECOND SEASON STRONGER FO MOI TASTES, IN PARTIC OPENING EP WI GLEESON'S SEED.

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

THAT ALL READ MORE NEGATIVE THAN INTENDED - IT'S REALLY ENTERTAINING TELEVISION, BOTH SERIES WORTH A WATCH, NOTHING CURRENTLY LIKE IT.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I liked National Anthem the least of the first three, but still really enjoyed it. Thought it was a pretty excellent indictment of how we devour sensationalist media and I like how they took an extremely ridiculous idea and brought it all down to a very plausible situation.
I was laughing hard at the PM's wife reading the youtube comments section.

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

Tommy Bunz wrote:I liked National Anthem the least of the first three, but still really enjoyed it.
SAME, SHOULD REWATCH BEFORE MOUTHING OFF BUT DO REMEMBER PRICKLING AT A PERCEIVED 'LOL TURNER PRIZE' REDUNDANCY AND GETTING MOISELF RUBBED WRONG (A QUICK READ O EP SYNOPSIS DOESN'T SUPPORT THIS).

ian e

Post by ian e »

I like this show a lot w/ "The Entire History Of You" and "White Bear" being the favorites. Jesus.. "White Bear" :ohsh:

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

gone get her d/led
moved by duck muscles

Radio Raheem

Post by Radio Raheem »

I saw the first season a few years ago, pretty sure it was suggested by someone here. I was really impressed with it, particularly "The Entire History of You". Had no idea that there was a second season.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Just finished the last 3 eps today, pretty sad there aren't any more.
Really great all around. The Entire History of You is definitely the best of the lot.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Watched the first 2 episodes tonight. Liking it so far. Going by how everyone here is raving about "The Entire History of You," which is next, I should be in for a real treat.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I highly recommend you watch "The Entire History of You" last because it will pretty much ruin the rest of the series for you. Nothing is really interconnected so there's no downside to watching it last. And while we're at it, I would watch "White Bear" second to last because those are easily the two best episodes.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Post by Dan »

I finished the series today. Watched the remaining 4 in broadcast order. Great show!

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

watched the first two last night and you know what i liked them both quite a bit
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

stupidregister wrote:I highly recommend you watch "The Entire History of You" last because it will pretty much ruin the rest of the series for you. Nothing is really interconnected so there's no downside to watching it last. And while we're at it, I would watch "White Bear" second to last because those are easily the two best episodes.
White Bear is really great, but honestly I think I liked Be Right Back the best out of the second season. Brendan Gleeson's kid is really a chip off the old block. Great performance/love the ending.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Here's how I rank them:

The Entire History of You
Be Right Back
The National Anthem
White Bear
Fifteen Million Merits
The Waldo Moment

It's unfair to have "Fifteen Million Merits" so close to "The Waldo Moment" because FMM was still really good, while TWM was by far the weakest of the series.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Can anybody send The Entire History of You to my PM box? I watched the other 5 at the beginning of the year but couldn't track down this one.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

could toss it up on dropbox if you have that, otherwise links abound for rapidgator/uploaded/whatever your preferred method is, just holler on the particulars and i'll track one down
haven't watched that one yet, think that'll be the plan for here in a bit
moved by duck muscles

The Rapping Coffin

i couldn't find any working links on freakshare or bitshare. but if you can find one or put it on dropbox that'd be tight.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

got her dropboxing
moved by duck muscles

The Rapping Coffin

u da man

alpha

Post by alpha »

Gonna watch this tonight. Grant land did a piece on the show this week.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Holy shit, watched the first 3 last night. So fucking good. History of you was prob the best ep, but I also really liked fmm.

Dan

Post by Dan »

I've been going through old posts here on CYE. Apparently, most of us slept on Y@k's thread 2 years ago.

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128334

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

ian e wrote:Jesus.. "White Bear" :ohsh:
jumped the gun and watched this, gonna fuck me up for a few days, jesus... indeed
moved by duck muscles

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Watched the first 5 over the last two days, and boy oh boy is this show glum. I hesitate to call it cynical, but the tone of the show sure feels like it's sneering at anyone who would even consider that humanity doesn't revert to it's most base instincts given the slightest chance. Really well done, terrifying show.

Anyone else get Twilight Zone vibes from White Bear?
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
stupidregister wrote:I highly recommend you watch "The Entire History of You" last because it will pretty much ruin the rest of the series for you. Nothing is really interconnected so there's no downside to watching it last. And while we're at it, I would watch "White Bear" second to last because those are easily the two best episodes.
White Bear is really great, but honestly I think I liked Be Right Back the best out of the second season. Brendan Gleeson's kid is really a chip off the old block. Great performance/love the ending.
There's no doubt "history of you" is the best of the bunch, but I liked "White Bear" second with "Be Right Back" a close third.

Been trying to tell friends about this show and it's been a mess without giving details about the show.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Dan wrote:I've been going through old posts here on CYE. Apparently, most of us slept on Y@k's thread 2 years ago.

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128334
Oh yeah. Had forgotten I posted that.

Need to revisit these at some point.