X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Post by Truth. »

In a surprise move, Bryan Singer today revealed the title of the next chapter of 20th Century Fox's popular X-Men franchise. May 27, 2016 will see the release of X-Men: Apocalypse!

Apocalypse, created by Louise and Walter Simonson, made his debut in X-Factor #6. The world's first mutant, En Sabah Nur was born in Egypt around 3,000 BC and used advanced technology to make himself an eternal conquerer, believing whole heartedly in survival of the fittest.

The character's most popular storyline, "The Age of Apocalypse," ran in the X-Men books beginning in 1995. Set in a parallel reality formed by interference to the timeline, "The Age of Apocalypse" saw Professor Charles Xavier murdered before he could form the X-Men. Instead, a very different take on the team began with Magneto leading them through a post-apocalyptic America ruled by mutants.

Since next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past involves a time travel storyline, it's likely that a filmic take on "The Age of Apocalypse" could spin out of the new film's ending. It's certainly something that 20th Century Fox has considered as ComingSoon.net has learned that domains like AgeofApocalypsemovie.com have been registered by the studio for years. What's more, Singer's new film is set to introduce key "Age of Apocalypse" characters like Bishop (Omar Sy) and Blink (Bingbing Fan).

At this stage, however, all that's confirmed is the May 27, 2016 release date, which puts X-Men: Apocalypse up against Walt Disney Pictures' Alice in Wonderland 2.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Post by blastmaster »

Wow. Please include Mister Sinister.

alpha

Post by alpha »

:ohsh:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Yooo 1-arm wolverine! Sabertooth and his feral retard boy!

Isn't cyclops evil in that story too?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

they cant really execute the AoA timeline in a blockbuster tho right? like i imagine there would be some nods but i couldnt see them doing the whole continuity flip in a big budget one-shot

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

These guys are clearly trying hard as fuck to compete w/Marvel Studios.

Let's just make sure DoFP works first. Yeesh.

ric

Post by ric »

i dont know shit about this storyline but from the comments it looks like it could be super sweet

@afronaut
wait whoa. i thought the xmen was PART OF the marvel thing....youre saying its separate?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Fox vs Disney.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ric wrote:@afronaut
wait whoa. i thought the xmen was PART OF the marvel thing....youre saying its separate?
*pushes nerd glasses up bridge of nose*

All of the characters (Iron Man, Spiderman, Wolverine, for example) are Marvel characters, but the film rights to those characters are owned by different studios (Disney/Marvel Studios, Sony, Fox respectively), so there will not be any crossover there any time soon.

Here's a quick rundown:

Spiderman and all of the Spiderman villains are one "universe". (Fantastic Four may be owned by Sony as well, Im not sure)

The Xmen and all their villains are a different "universe". (Which is why you'll never heard Tony Stark use the word "mutant" in a film)

Then you have the Marvel Cinematic Universe (which is the blueprint all these other studios are trying to follow as a result of the Avengers being so huge) which has Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Agents of SHIELD, Guardians of The Galaxy, Daredevil (the new Netflix series, not the Affleck one) and more.

I feel like part of the reason Disney/Marvel Studios has been so successful in comparison is that they understand the characters a bit more due to being connected to Marvel Comics proper. But thats just my take.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Exciting news up top. Re: everything else I'm reading in this thread, can't say I'm all too surprised by the prevention of a marvel universe monopoly.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Guys, this is finally my/our chance to play Morph on the silver-screen!
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

starks

Post by starks »

why does singer get to make all the x-men movies?

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Director Bryan Singer dropped a bomb on comic-book fans last week by tweeting three simple words — "#Xmen #Apocalypse 2016!" — which suggested a new X-Men movie would arrive in summer 2016 featuring the classic X-Men villain Apocalypse. Since then, he's kept quiet, and other news outlets have sought to fill in the blanks (if you want to know the spoiler-filled particulars of who will be playing Apocalypse, First Showing has got you covered). Still, there are two pretty basic facts that have yet to be confirmed: Is Singer actually directing Apocalypse, and who's going to be in it?

Vulture has learned that after finishing up next summer's X-Men: Days of Future Past, Singer will indeed be behind the camera on the new film, making this the director's first back-to-back foray into the X-Men world since he kicked off the franchise with X-Men (in 2000) and X2 (in 2003). But though Days of Future Past weaves together the veteran X-Men cast (including Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, and Halle Berry) and the younger actors introduced in X-Men: First Class (James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, and Jennifer Lawrence), and Apocalypse will be a direct sequel set up in Days of Future Past's closing moments, the new film is intended to focus strictly on the younger McAvoy-Fassbender cast. The movie suggests that though First Class was the franchise's lowest earner when it bowed in 2011, Fox has enough confidence that the star-packed Days of Future Past will give the new cast enough momentum to stand on its own. In any case, Fox is doubling down hard on the hand it's playing with Days of Future Past, and with good reason: After Avatar, it's the second-most expensive film the studio has ever made.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

starks wrote:why does singer get to make all the x-men movies?
Because he made the only two good movies in the franchise's history and also arguably reignited the entire comic book movie genre entirely?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Superman Returns tho.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

a valid argument, Singer admitted he was too nostalgic for the original Donner movie, and was more focused on making a romance than an action movie and failed miserably.
He seems to have a good handle on what makes a good X-men movie though.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

so cysed it's not even funny

this can be better than Avengers
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

starks

Post by starks »

i think all of the X flicks have sucked dick and i wish they'd let someone else have a turn

first class was decent i guess

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

starks wrote:i think all of the X flicks have sucked dick and i wish they'd let someone else have a turn

first class was decent i guess
Change Storm and this could have a chance.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Yeah I haven't enjoyed one XFlick yet
UBM CD COMING SOON

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

My ranking:

X:FC
X2 (a close second at that)
X1

TW
W:O

X3 (minus Beast)

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Cash Rulz wrote:Change Storm and this could have a chance.
I read somewhere recently that they actually did ask Bassett and she passed. After reading that I finally was able to make peace with Berry's casting.

That accent & her line to Toad I will never forgive though.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

dudes, X2 is easily the best Xmen movie
barely even remember 1st Class but its definitely below the two Singer films, but above 3 and the Wolverine movies. Been meaning to give 1st class another spin before the new one.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I liked First Class a lot, it wasn't perfect but I'd actually put it above Singer's first

and for a while there, before these superhero movies became the thing they are now, X2 was on a shortlist of best comic book movies ever
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

starks

Post by starks »

always thought the movies tried too hard for realism. the mutant universe and the costumes etc. would translate much better with a Watchmen all green screen approach imo

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

can't believe the first x-men film came out almost 14 years ago already.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Yeah, I liked first class more than X1 too.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

The Afronaut wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:Change Storm and this could have a chance.
I read somewhere recently that they actually did ask Bassett and she passed. After reading that I finally was able to make peace with Berry's casting.

That accent & her line to Toad I will never forgive though.
The reality is ANY black actress would've done a better job than Halle. She sucks. Period.

Re-cast with Kerry and I'll be good.

Angela would've been ideal.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

drizzle wrote:Yooo 1-arm wolverine! Sabertooth and his feral retard boy!

Isn't cyclops evil in that story too?
Yep and the nigga only had one eye too.

This is easily my favorite story arc from marvel so I'm very skeptical of this and I expect a disaster. Waaaaaaay too much gully shit went down in this timeline and I know Hollywood is going to pussify it and dilute the script.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I think X2, while still a very good film, hasn't aged as well as the original X-Men film.

I rank 'em like this

X-Men
X-Men First Class
X2
The Wolverine (the tempo was totally different, but it was a fun brooding Japanese protection/revenge flick)

X-Men the Last Stand

Origins:Wolverine (seriously, not only the worst X-Men "film" but possibly the worst action film released by a major studio in the last five years)
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com