The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015?)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

wizeguy

Re: The Hateful Eight (Tarantino, 2015?)

Post by wizeguy »

I really enjoyed this film the first time I saw it, but on the second viewing I'm convinced it's a masterpiece. It's different than the couple of last ones of his movies, in that it is more focused and to the point (less gimmicks and flamboyance).

Having a real score instead of songs was a good choice. Music isn't spectacular but works great with the story. Everyone of the actors did a find job, especially Goggins, Jason Leigh, Dern and Russel. If you're a fan of westerns, I can't see you not liking this.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah, don't feel like spoiler tags or saying much, but goddamn do i love walt goggins
moved by duck muscles

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

after star wars left such a bad taste in my mouth i am going to have to watch this movie to rinse it out. hope it delivers.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Left at intermission

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

didnt feel it

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Movie was amazing

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Movie was amazing

ric

Post by ric »

brilliant. a lot to say.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Willie B wrote:didnt feel it
Realized this myself about five minutes into hour three.

Minnie's Haberdashery can suck my dick.

Kace

Post by Kace »

So what's the verdict on this? Better than Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

ric

Post by ric »

Kace wrote:So what's the verdict on this? Better than Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained?
no just different. it could have been "better" to me if some things were different about it but that's not what qt is doing right now
he's still into the whole grindhouse style of violence which in my opinion doesn't suit this movie. a lot of what happens in the second half is too much of a departure from what the first half sets up in terms of feel. blowing dudes heads off and having blood spurt everywhere isn't really what I wanted but I get it and it's fine and doesn't diminish the writing. obv.

the cinematography is awesome aside from the gore that I don't think plays well and the acting and writing are of course sue fucking perb and the thing is it's tough to hate all the guts etc because some of it does play well to me like the poison. in my opinion it could have been better if the end was different but we can always debate that kind of thing for this kind of movie

I will say though that if qt could stop worrying about his brand and/or be more sensitive to the aesthetics he sets up and how it impacts the audience he'd be up there with the gawds ridley Scott and Scorsese in my personal opinion about who is tops director in the game but whatever still genius

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

of all the new movies that leaked this week or i saw in the theater, this was my favorite

was a little worried up until the intermission, it was starting to feel long.. and then the second half just blows the roof off it

70mm screening looked fantastic
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

alpha

Post by alpha »

agreed that it really picks up in the last third. But it all worked in the end and I'm glad I finished it. Looking forward to watching again.

bent

Post by bent »

I will always read qt as cutie.

Movie was boring as fuck though. When they were closing the door for the hundredth time I wanted to punch cutie in the face.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

can't wait to reach the intermission then cuz the first half is so boring/

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

tarantino needs at least one or two people that will tell him when he needs to trim the fat. the movie was decent but definitely fell short of expectations. performances were good, the cinematography was great, especially at the 70mm showing, but it could have been at least 15-30 minutes shorter. Some of the dialogue felt a bit on the nose and the comedic use of the n-word seemed a bit hackneyed, especially after django. Russell, Jason Leigh, Goggins, and Roth were the standout performances imo.

Not really sure I can articulate what was missing or what should have been differently but I think that the characters are becoming more caricatures under the guide of paying homage to the old western archetypes. I hope at some point Tarantino decides to get back to fully fleshed out characters, ideally in a modern setting, so the movies don't have to be presented as if the audience is in on the joke.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Kace wrote:So what's the verdict on this? Better than Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained?
I thought so. Might be his best yet IMO. He took what he did with those movies, but brought it back to Reservoir Dogs in terms of the set-up, and just knocked it out of the park. I was a pig in shit watching this.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

inglourious >>>django>>hateful eight

ric

Post by ric »

disagree about the best movie yet statement. I like Django more as it's more of a romp. let's not forget this movie takes place in really like 2 or maybe 3 locations

for what it's worth I'm looking forward to the next qt film now that this is out of the way

Kace

Post by Kace »

Inglorious Basterds had much better dialogue than Django. Tarantino also didn't edit Django well, too many dragged out scenes.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Normally don't fuck with the mondotee poster market, but this thing was just too beautiful to pass up.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

I downloaded this movie and it's been sitting in my downloads folder for ages. If it is anything like Django I'm definitely not going to like it. Inglorious Basterds was the last QT film I enjoyed.

Right now I'm deciding between watching Revenant and this movie. 3 hour time investment so I have to make sure it pays off.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Versive wrote:
I thought so. Might be his best yet IMO. He took what he did with those movies, but brought it back to Reservoir Dogs in terms of the set-up, and just knocked it out of the park. I was a pig in shit watching this.
This sounds optimistic. I really, really liked Reservoir Dogs. Much better than Pulp Fiction (which everybody just hypes unnecessarily) IMO.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Watched it - I enjoyed this movie thoroughly. I was pleasantly surprised to see Tim Roth (lmao at being called Oswaldo Mobray and that proper English accent) and Michael Madsen (I spent like 10 minutes trying to figure out where I'd seen him before). But to me the guy that took the crown acting wise was the southern dude Walton Goggins. He was just killing me everytime he opened his mouth, didn't expect him to be in the situation he was in before the end of the movie.

I feel like the people who found the movie boring are ppl who might not be used to tarantino's style in the first place. It wasn't significantly different than most of his other movies. I found the dialogue and setup engaging but then again I didn't really know a lot about the movie going in, so I just kept getting surprised left and right.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

If you like Reservoir Dogs, you'll like this.

It was a little stretched for the first 1:20+, but when it turns up, it turns up. Definitely enjoyed and loved the way it wrapped up.