Game of Thrones - Season 4

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

tehgiftofgab

Re: Game of Thrones - Season 4

Post by tehgiftofgab »

respek bruv, i at least appreciate the response lol

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Ramen wrote:my bad bruhs. lets discuss how these claims to the thrones are bullshit.
Of course all the claims are bullshit because Monarchy is bullshit. What matters is the only people with real economic power in this shows world are the Tyrells because they provide the food, Daenerys because she has the best trained army, and apparently Bravos though they have not shown much of what their economy is. Maybe the Martells too but again they have not shown their economy. Trade and technology do not seem important sectors so that makes Generals and Food by far the most valuable items.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I was speaking more to the fact that the Targaryens were ruling for 100's of years, how do these fucks think they are rightful rulers.

Also looks like the iron bank bought in on Stannis.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Ramen wrote:I was speaking more to the fact that the Targaryens were ruling for 100's of years, how do these fucks think they are rightful rulers.

Also looks like the iron bank bought in on Stannis.
Look at the lymies they still have the german inbreeds ruling their country for some reason I don't understand.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Were talking westerns brah.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I got to thinking about what Tywin said about the dragons. If they're as big as the illustration shown on ew, when they're full grown. How in the hell does anyone stand a chance.

This isn't book shit at all, so fuck if you delete or spoiler this.

Spiccoli

Post by Spiccoli »

^^i get the sense that the dragons do whatever the fuck they want. you dont really see her training them anymore.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

^^^
yeah. they've been foreshadowing issues with the dragons since the beginning of this season, if not earlier. Jorah told Khaleesi that "they're dragons" and that they can only be so controlled/tamed. The scene in the last episode where the dragon just went and scorched all the goats helped further convey the concept. While the dragons will help Khaleesi, especially when grouped with the 8k unsullied she's leading, there's a good chance the dragons could go rogue and wind up being irrelevant or worse, turn on her.

and my understanding of the "claim to the throne" stuff is that its basically a matter of being able to garner support of the masses as opposed to everyone objectively agreeing that a particular person is entitled to the throne. For instance, since the Starks have always garnered respect in the North, if one of the Starks decided to seek the throne, it would be easier for that person to get an army to support them in seeking the throne, but nothing would be automatic. I know I'm over-simplifying and I haven't read the books so I could be wrong, but I think the whole "I am entitled to the throne" mindset is basically irrelevant with all the gamesmanship, greed, and backstabbing that occurs in the world of GOT

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Ramen wrote:I was speaking more to the fact that the Targaryens were ruling for 100's of years, how do these fucks think they are rightful rulers.
They rode in on dragons, burned the shit out of everything in sight, including destroying the biggest most powerful castle ever built in matter of minutes or some such, and after that nobody could tell them shit.

but then the dragons died out, the dynasty waned in power, and eventually when they were in a weak spot somebody with army and money and initiative (Robert Baratheon) popped up to overthrow them.

Baratheon's and Targeryon's claims are based on precedent, and that's about it. Just like it has always been in Europe. The common folk don't trust any of them but believe in the idea of the monarchy in general, so as long as somebody can come up with an army and money for war and present a plausible case for precedent or a good reason to overthrow the standing power....
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Req

Post by Req »

samdoom wrote: and my understanding of the "claim to the throne" stuff is that its basically a matter of being able to garner support of the masses as opposed to everyone objectively agreeing that a particular person is entitled to the throne.
sounds familiar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses
F.U. MOOLAH

alpha

Post by alpha »

to clarify, I meant who will stop HER dragons. my bad bros

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

alpha wrote:I got to thinking about what Tywin said about the dragons. If they're as big as the illustration shown on ew, when they're full grown. How in the hell does anyone stand a chance.

This isn't book shit at all, so fuck if you delete or spoiler this.
that had me puzzled a bit with Tywin being all nonchalant and almost seeming to not give two shits about some muthufuckin dragons with his "armies win wars, not dragons" ramble. He doesn't strike me as a out-of-sight-out-of-mind type, since he's so calculated at all angles about his business. U would think he'd be a lil more concerned and be all over that shit. I mean, isn't that exactly how the Targaryens came to dominate westeros in the past led by 3 dragons on the front? Tywin: :fail:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I think there's a big difference between Cercei's attitude towards Daenerys (which is mostly just ignorance) and Tywin's, which seems to be him remaining confident in front of his inner-circle but actually very concerned underneath. Tywin absolutely knows that they are a real threat.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tywin is also being pragmatic - he doesn't know how big and how dangerous 3 growing dragons are, but he knows how big and dangerous 10000 soldiers are. If Danny sails tomorrow, the army will be the main concern.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

btw, totally random aside, but Mycroft repping for the Iron Bank was a nice and welcome surprise. Dude's a virtuoso of smugness

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Hasn't been 100s of years since the last dragons and they where inbreed and retarded at the end?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Lol no the Targeryans are the ones who ended up as retarded and inbred, because much like the kings of europe they only married within the family. Hence the mad king

But the last dragon did die 100something years ago and he was the size of a house cat. That's def another reason for general nonchalance about this, most people in Westeros consider magic and dragons to be something from ancient history. I think Tywin gives the threat more credence than that, but again at the moment the army would be a bigger problem to deal with.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Plus I don't think that the dragons are indestructible. Hard to kill, probably, but not indestructible. I think the conversation Tywin had with the Dorn/Dawn prince about how no dragons are over there alludes to the ability to deal with them.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

What was the story about the dragon skulls being in the throne room?

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

^^ pretty sure they were just Targaryen house pets each with a distinct owner, like the Stark siblings and their direwolves. They just put em there to be memorialized i beileve.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

So they just died tho? Tywin spoke like he had a hand in taking them out.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah. Drizzle just clarified this a few posts above and they've mentioned it in the show a couple times at least. Dragons haven't been around for 100+ years.
Last I checked Tywin isn't that old.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Watching it back his tone is more along the lines of dragons aint coming back rather than we killed them.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:lol:

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

Before They Were On Game Of Thrones

Dinklage and Pycelle surprised me

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

My dude Littlefinger tho Image

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

i never put pycell and general veers together. as a pretty solid star wars fan, i must hang my head in shame.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Sir Friendzone felt some kinda way.