DVD/Blu Ray Storage Ideas

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Random Sample

DVD/Blu Ray Storage Ideas

Post by Random Sample »

I have a couple pieces that I had stored DVD's in and they are filled up. I have stacks of Blu rays sitting all over my living room and bedroom. I am in the process of trying to figure out a solution to fit all of them. I have around 800 or so. What do you guys use that I could buy or build?

Pronay

Re: DVD/Blu Ray Storage Ideas

Post by Pronay »

black floating shelves with w/e you want to use as bookends. That's what I'm planning on for myself

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'm up to about 3,000 now and have the same issues. About half I have shelving units for, the rest are scattered in piles around the house.
I'm probably going to have a guy that does work for my company make me some custom shelving one of these days.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

​don't you hate when some fag tells you, why not get rid of all them and just go digital? i don't have nearly the amount of dvd/blu rays as you guys do, but if my 475 is a mess i can't only imagine what 3000 is like​

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

lol the past few apartments i rented, i had to make a serious consideration for space for the dvds and bookshelves

i lucked out in the current one, have a tiny room that is devoted entirely to just that. didn't do anything fancy for shelves, just bought some bookcases from ikea and built the rest from planks and l-brakets from home depot. it's not the prettiest thing but it holds everything with room for growth
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

thats the ultimate goal, to have a dedicated film library room.
I've thought about converting my spare bedroom into one, but its such a useful tool for luring drunk women over to the house I'd hate to lose it.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I use my windowsills and have them properly backed and organized so that they A) don't hinder my use of the windows B) don't get overexposure to the sun and C) don't get in the way of anything else.

I have shelves too, but having the dvds on the windowsill is both getting the most out of a space that isn't used much anyway as well as looks great and organized when you first enter a room.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Philaflava wrote:​don't you hate when some fag tells you, why not get rid of all them and just go digital?​
It really is the sensible thing to do. Complaining about space for your blu-rays or god forbid dvds in 2014 is very smh ...
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Tell the Library of Congress to go completely digital.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ChaMerZ wrote:
Philaflava wrote:​don't you hate when some fag tells you, why not get rid of all them and just go digital?​
It really is the sensible thing to do. Complaining about space for your blu-rays or god forbid dvds in 2014 is very smh ...
digital is for poor people
go eat a baloney sandwich and fuck off

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:
digital is for poor people
go eat a baloney sandwich and fuck off
soulless canadian faggot, probably a ginger too

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I have a friend who throws away the cases and only keeps the discs. I was like what the fuck is wrong with you?

I think I am going to end up building custom shelves. I can't really find anything to buy that will work.

Going digital is fucking stupid. Your hard drive crashes and all of your movies are gone. Failure rates on hard drives are much more common than you think.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

tell your friend i need some blank blu ray cases cuz i bought a shit load of movies from blockbuster before they closed and they are bunk as fuck.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Philaflava wrote:tell your friend i need some blank blu ray cases cuz i bought a shit load of movies from blockbuster before they closed and they are bunk as fuck.
They are gone bro. He throws them away in the trash.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:tell your friend i need some blank blu ray cases cuz i bought a shit load of movies from blockbuster before they closed and they are bunk as fuck.

I did this too, copped about 100 dvds/blus from my last local store.
I get all my replacement cases from here, all their shit is top quality
http://www.discmakers.com/shop/ParentGr ... YCASES.asp

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:cheers:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Random Sample wrote: Going digital is fucking stupid. Your hard drive crashes and all of your movies are gone. Failure rates on hard drives are much more common than you think.
the logistics of converting to digital storage are nuts too, especially at this point of the collection. let's say i have a round figure - 3000 dvds, and each one is just one movie (this discounts occurrences of tv show seasons, box sets, double discs, etc...). Let's say each movie is 1gb. That means to convert to digital I need approx 3 terabytes of storage space, + 3 more for backup.

So I ,ay need to buy 100s of dollars worth of storage space just to start. Then I need to physically rip each dvd, and properly sort and store and back it up - this will take months. add conversion of VHS and VCD in there too for good fun.

and after all that, essentially a labor intensive and costly IT project, what am i left with - a bundle of hard drives, or some arbitrary cloud storage space. every time I want to watch a movie properly (IE on a good sized TV because watching movies on an ipad or standard computer monitor is abominable), I need to figure out a way to connect my storage to a device which may not actually have network or usb access.

or I can just put a disc on a shelf.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

how about we just like tangible items? its nice to marvel at your collection. to pick it up in your hands and read the back. this is one of the main reasons is still buy albums and refuse to sell my cd collection.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh of coure, that goes without saying. the nostalgic and aesthetic value of this mass of plastic that i've been accumulating and sorting for over a decade is un-measurable

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

The cost of hard drives would be through the roof to do all of that. Especially with the space blu rays take up. Plus the quality isn't as good as good as you get from the disc.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:

I did this too, copped about 100 dvds/blus from my last local store.
I get all my replacement cases from here, all their shit is top quality
http://www.discmakers.com/shop/ParentGr ... YCASES.asp
If you don't need a lot, Amazon has a good set of 25.
http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Replacem ... +ray+cases
Blockbuster uses that gummy glue for the blu ray covers. Just carefully remove the glue drops, and the cover fits right into the new blu ray case.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thanks for the link. Already ordered from the place Tommy told me. It came out to about $14 after shipping. Amazon is $11 but you gotta spend $30 to get free shipping. Jewnomics homie.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

Random Sample wrote:I have a friend who throws away the cases and only keeps the discs.
jesus christ

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Andvil wrote:
Random Sample wrote:I have a friend who throws away the cases and only keeps the discs.
jesus christ
My direct response when he told me that was "What the fuck is wrong with you? You are an asshole."

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

so he puts them in one of those "books"?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Ramen wrote:so he puts them in one of those "books"?
Yeah he puts them in books.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I decided to build my own. Really not that hard to do, and I am doing it for about $50. I am going to have three of these go across my living room wall.

I decided to build my own entertainment/TV stand too.

Now I got to finish them. I hate finish work.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Nice.

Would three of them fit 800ish DVDs though?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Nice work. Paint or stain?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Spartan wrote:Nice.

Would three of them fit 800ish DVDs though?
It is going to be a total of 36 feet of shelving. A dvd is about 1/2 thick, and I will have about 430 inches of shelving. I think I figured it out that it would store about 860. I counted my dvds and t thought I had more than I do. I thought I was closer to 800, but I am closer to 700. I got I think 724. So I have some room to grow. I actually just got rid of a bunch, because I ended up buying them on blu ray.

I am going to have a top shelf too, because I am hanging them with a foot of space from the ceiling. I am going to use it to display action figures and shit.
Tommy Bunz wrote:Nice work. Paint or stain?
Definitely going to stain. I have been testing out colors. Don't know what I am going to go with. I will post up picks when everything is finished.