Silicon Valley (Mike Judge's HBO show)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Re: Silicon Valley (Mike Judge's HBO show)

Post by Tommy Bunz »

:lol: yeah. Chamerz thinking he has an understanding of the corporate world of silicon valley because he's an entry-level programmer in Canada is like me saying I have insider's knowledge of the Tour de France cause in middle school I rode a mountain bike once.

The show is not only a great satire of Silicon Valley, but of the business world as a whole.

Post by 907 »

Tommy Bunz wrote::lol: yeah. Chamerz thinking he has an understanding of the corporate world of silicon valley because he's an entry-level programmer in Canada is like me saying I have insider's knowledge of the Tour de France cause in middle school I rode a mountain bike once.

The show is not only a great satire of Silicon Valley, but of the business world as a whole.

:rofl:
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

to be fair, i only watched the first 3 or so episodes, so I don't really know how the rest of the season is like. i'm willing to go back to it, but the first impression i had of the show wasn't too good. i didn't say i had an understanding of the corporate world, i'm just saying that i'm a programmer and work with programmers and it just pisses me off how they are portrayed in the show. to me it's like what non-programmers think actual programmers behave like which couldn't be further from the truth. & finally, i'm a minority in a white / asian dominated field, so it sort of burns me a little when i watch a show like this, and there's nobody in it who looks like me. if there was a token black character in there, i'm sure i would have stuck it out. but then again it would be completely unrealistic if they did that, because in reality there aren't that many bros in the field.

basically the show just isn't for me. i'm not being contrarian just for the sake of it and i'm not trying to intentionally get a rise out of you folks. i'm going to give it another shot. after a couple more episodes i'll come back to this thread just so that i can go into more detail on its merits and flaws (in my opinion).

i better not get nominated for that fukkboi worst poster contest, because all the hate i've accumulated thus far is almost all from that liquid swords episode which was LAST YEAR.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Was it you who said they were looking to make an impression on the p this year? If so, you should have stuck to your guns and gone full heel.

TBH the nerd angle does come across as forced/pandering for the sake of being 'realistic' sometimes (eg Guilfoyle and Dinesh doing for real math on the jump) but the payoff for that is so good, especially now. I haven't watched the first season since it aired, but the last four-five episodes of it are some of the best sitcom comedy I've seen in years.

Also there's something to be said of the show being pretty much completely centered around 30 y/o whiteboys, but if 'not having a token minority' on the show really bothers you that much and Dinesh isn't good enough for you because he's not black, I don't really know what to say
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:Was it you who said they were looking to make an impression on the p this year?
i want to be a ric or bigsleep not a gouche or hayzoos.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:Also there's something to be said of the show being pretty much completely centered around 30 y/o whiteboys, but if 'not having a token minority' on the show really bothers you that much and Dinesh isn't good enough for you because he's not black, I don't really know what to say
that was a minor point. it does realistically portray the demographics of the tech industry. it just it pisses me off a little, but that's baggage I carried into the show and isn't valid in the context of a review.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

ChaMerZ wrote:
seagrams hotsauce wrote:Was it you who said they were looking to make an impression on the p this year?
i want to be a ric or bigsleep not a gouche or hayzoos.
:lol:

This entire exchange is the best

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

So blazed through the first season yesterday and today. The show definitely picked up. Erlich is a funny dude, and the exchanges between Dinesh and Gilfoyle are pretty damn funny. I just wish the show erred on the serious side rather than being consistently idiotic. Also there's A LOT of name dropping and product placement in this show (which can be somewhat off putting) - I wonder how the creators of the show were able to set that up.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

ChaMerZ wrote:I just wish the show erred on the serious side rather than being consistently idiotic
MIKE JUDGE HBO show

Jesus

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

alpha

Post by alpha »

:rofl:

Post by 907 »

I mean, it's a comedy. Do you wish Seinfeld had been more serious?
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

I wish Workaholics had more episodes about Ders sad existence of living in his dad's shadow, and the disappointment of being a call center salesman. Maybe a brush with suicide is what the show needs.
Buy my mixtape.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

That actually sounds funny tho.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Chamerz: Making his name ring bells in 2015.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Newest episode kept having me thinking that no one could possibly be so clueless and socially inept as fucking Richard is, and then I realized that Chamerz exists and they are the same person.

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Newest episode kept having me thinking that no one could possibly be so clueless and socially inept as fucking Richard is, and then I realized that Chamerz exists and they are the same person.
I get what Middleditch is doing in his portrayal of Richard, but fuck if it is hard to swallow sometimes. Jesus Christ!

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

yeah, i want to punch him in the face until all his facial features line up properly

None

Post by None »

Tommy Bunz wrote:yeah, i want to punch him in the face until all his facial features line up properly
I'd just like to hit him in the face with the bottle of tres commas.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Bunz has something going here. Silicon Valley can be used as an allegory for :phila: social dynamics. Since Richard is a talented programmer and an IRL Canadian (not Gilfoyle) I'm obviously him. He's as milquetoast as they come but occasionally he gets into his frightful, angry fits and puts everyone else in their place. Like in the last episode when he told Hanneman to fuck off both before and after he left the three comma tequila on the delete button :lol:

Russ Hanneman epitomizes everything :phila:. The arrogance. The hypocrisy. Having his face up his own ass constantly. Radio On Internet ... LMFAO.

Richard = moi

:phila: = Image

None

Post by None »

This guy, this guy, he fucks...

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

None wrote:This guy, this guy, he fucks...

alpha

Post by alpha »

Richard finally growing a pair was nice. Hannibal fucking them over once again was perfect. Like the show keeps knocking them down as opposed to becoming entourage: Silicon Valley

Edit: Hannibal = hanneman

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Tres Comas shit was lulz, glad they're stuck with Russ.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Jin Li might have been my favourite part of that episode. The dialogue/partnership with him and Erlich has been pretty hillarious.
This season has been pretty great.
Buy my mixtape.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Yes, Jin Li killed it for me. They need a Jared-centric episode soon.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

His name is Jian Yang you racist fucks.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

i find his role to be a bit cringe worthy. funny of course, but cringe-worthy. i'm imagining most east asian viewers are not big fans of his character.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Ramen wrote:His name is Jian Yang you racist fucks.

Damn, I knew I should have looked it up, I just assumed T Rav knew his name as I had no clue.

alpha

Post by alpha »

ChaMerZ wrote:i find his role to be a bit cringe worthy. funny of course, but cringe-worthy. i'm imagining most east asian viewers are not big fans of his character.
what the fuck is wrong with you?