Fargo (TV Series)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

tehgiftofgab

Re: Fargo (TV Series)

Post by tehgiftofgab »

YAY FARGO TUESDAY!

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Nah, she's not dead. First cheap move this show has made, which in itself is impressive.

Heretical question: at what point do we need to have the conversation about if the show is better than the flick?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah ladybirds gotta juss keep livin'
moved by duck muscles

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

PopeyeJones wrote:Heretical question: at what point do we need to have the conversation about if the show is better than the flick?
I think we have to wait and see how the season ends. I also think that the series format provides a better opportunity to mix action/suspense with the character development and idiosyncrasies that a movie that is under 2 hours. I'm a huge fan of the movie and I really like the show so its hard for me to call it at this point, personally.

Anyone else kinda bothered by how BBT is able to kill everyone without ever getting a scratch on him and always able to sneak away undetected? I think his character and performance have both been awesome but I feel like the action scenes, especially the one in this week's episode, tend to make him superhero-esque which seems inconsistent with the gritty and dark tone of the show.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Lester has gone full blown Heisenberg

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

tehgiftofgab wrote:Lester has gone full blown Heisenberg
was thinking that too.

also to samdoom's point i didnt care for the window to window shot. i like just about everything else about this show so i tend to suspend my judgment but for a show that established itself showing this palpable reverence for death, that sequence struck me as cartoonish

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

mike eagle wrote: also to samdoom's point i didnt care for the window to window shot. i like just about everything else about this show so i tend to suspend my judgment but for a show that established itself showing this palpable reverence for death, that sequence struck me as cartoonish
yeah. they could have shown how Malvo was able to single-handedly take out all of the opposition and provided an entertaining scene. Instead they saved money by only having to do sound fx and drew more attention to the implausibility of the scene itself

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

mike eagle wrote: also to samdoom's point i didnt care for the window to window shot. i like just about everything else about this show so i tend to suspend my judgment but for a show that established itself showing this palpable reverence for death, that sequence struck me as cartoonish
I dont know that I agree the show has a palpable reverence for death. And if that's the case, its definitely more found in the after effects of the death than the act of killing. Most of the murders have been cartoonish (gettin blown away by shotgun, flying fish causing car crash, rambo shootout in blinding snow, stabbed during sex with a stripper, etc.). So in that regard, I thought the Malvo shooting spree in the building was consistent with the show's affinity for ultraviolence, as well as the twisted humor thats lied underneath throughout.

PEACE

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

i think you're right in its been the reverence shown after death. the grieving is really what i was alluding to. i thought in the first few episodes they went out of their way to show that no matter how awful the character was, they had left a void behind when they were killed. that shooting spree scene was the first time characters had been treated as fodder imo

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

mike eagle wrote:i think you're right in its been the reverence shown after death. the grieving is really what i was alluding to. i thought in the first few episodes they went out of their way to show that no matter how awful the character was, they had left a void behind when they were killed. that shooting spree scene was the first time characters had been treated as fodder imo
Yea but we haven't see where its going yet. For now you're right tho

PEACE

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

loved that window to window tho
moved by duck muscles

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

LilLeftBrain wrote:loved that window to window tho
Yesyesyup. The laughs were hard

PEACE

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

WOW...show just keeps on being great. Shit sets the table nicely for the last two episodes. Ladybird (nod to LLB) ain't about to give up, looks like Key & Peele might offer help.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

some really good parts in last night's episode but i thought the "one year later" fast forward was random and out of character for the show. seemed to throw off the flow of things. That being said, I did like how Lester (and Freeman) got to flex his acting chops and become a new person/character.

They have a lot to do in 2 episodes. Also, Odenkirk keeps killing it. The scene where he was getting excited about the assault rifle icing on Molly's cake was great.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

i know im gonna get heat for this, but this has potential to be up there w breaking bad imo, i fucking love this show its so damn bad ass

Dan

Post by Dan »

Is anyone bold enough to say Fargo TV show > Fargo movie?

I admit, I was hesitant about this show when it was announced. When has a TV show based on a movie complimented it well? Maybe M*A*S*H and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'm not ready to give the nod to this show just yet, but the movie will always be one of my favorites and the show is solidifying itself highly on my list.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

i just rewatched the movie the other day and its too hard to compare imo, it seemed like the movie was SO fast and rushed since each episode of the tv series is like an hour and ten minutes lol

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

yeah i dont think its fair and/or possible to compare a show that has nearly 10 hours of time to build suspense and characters to a movie that is about two hours. The show and the movie are both great. There's a lot of stuff for them to tie up in two episodes if the seasons are going to be self-contained.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

samdoom wrote:some really good parts in last night's episode but i thought the "one year later" fast forward was random and out of character for the show. seemed to throw off the flow of things. That being said, I did like how Lester (and Freeman) got to flex his acting chops and become a new person/character.

I hate time jumps. Much like Breaking Bad, I have a hard time believing that so much can happen in these series in a short amount of time, and then we flash forward with nothing eventful happening during that period.
And I'm referring to the case, not everybody getting married.
At least Lester regressed when he saw BBT in Vegas. His new persona is difficult to believe (stapler thug, and being salesman of the year in a town of 13,000 people), and the Asian chick falling for him after getting put on blast by the whore widow? Fuckouttahere, b.
But in words of the late great Jamrage, still loving the show.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
I hate time jumps. Much like Breaking Bad, I have a hard time believing that so much can happen in these series in a short amount of time, and then we flash forward with nothing eventful happening during that period.
And I'm referring to the case, not everybody getting married.
At least Lester regressed when he saw BBT in Vegas. His new persona is difficult to believe (stapler thug, and being salesman of the year in a town of 13,000 people), and the Asian chick falling for him after getting put on blast by the whore widow? Fuckouttahere, b.
But in words of the late great Jamrage, still loving the show.

Asian fell for him before the widow walked in. She was inviting him out to eat before being interrupted. It was probably a sympathetic gesture on her part, but you could see the interest was there.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

yeah nothing gets a chick wetter than hearing you came inside of some whore widow

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Not gonna compare this show to BB, but is it better than True Detective?

PEACE

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Every day I get home from work, put the kid to bed, kiss my wife, down some whiskey, and watch Fargo. That's it, every fucking night. That's all I do.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

peanut butter wrote:Not gonna compare this show to BB, but is it better than True Detective?

PEACE
No. But right there. Amazing show.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

peanut butter wrote:Not gonna compare this show to BB, but is it better than True Detective?
PEACE
Easily.

I think it's just simply because it's incredibly hard to knock it out of the park for 10 hours when your story is really only based on two characters, whereas with Fargo they're populating an entire world with characters who are all deserving of their own scenes. If True Detective was a three hour movie it would be the best shit ever, but the tropes and tension and tone were too limited to sustain themselves over even a short season. It's why Mcconaughey's psycho-social gobbledy gook was awesome in Mud, but people were already poking fun at it by half way through True Detective's run.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Its so hard to really love non-premium channel shows. Commercials kill my enjoyment.

Dan

Post by Dan »

naturalborn103 wrote:Its so hard to really love non-premium channel shows. Commercials kill my enjoyment.
That's why I never watch TV shows live. I record or download every show I watch.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PopeyeJones wrote:
PEACE
Easily.

I think it's just simply because it's incredibly hard to knock it out of the park for 10 hours when your story is really only based on two characters, whereas with Fargo they're populating an entire world with characters who are all deserving of their own scenes. If True Detective was a three hour movie it would be the best shit ever, but the tropes and tension and tone were too limited to sustain themselves over even a short season. It's why Mcconaughey's psycho-social gobbledy gook was awesome in Mud, but people were already poking fun at it by half way through True Detective's run.
I agree. It kinda pains me, because I really dug the Rust Cohle character, despite all his philosophical shortcomings. But yea, Fargo is a better TV show.

And more than others, this show really needs to be recorded and watched later. Those Gervais/Audi ads are the fucking worst.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Comparing TD to this is a little unfair, obviously, because we have the knowledge how dissatisfying the TD ending was. Of course I suppose the same could be possible for Fargo, that the show is just gonna throw up on itself in the final moments. I have much more faith thats not going to happen here tho

PEACE

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Dan wrote:Is anyone bold enough to say Fargo TV show > Fargo movie?
No. I still think the movie is far better than the show.

I don't watch a lot of TV shows but had to watch this out of curiosity and I think it's great. It's been unpredictable and interesting. I like they it was shot in Minnesota and they used landscape to their advantage like the movie. I LOVED the blizzard scene--shit my pants and then laughed my ass off, basically. Felt it had a strong resemblance to the movie.

The main difference between the Show and the Movie for me--I don't find the Show very funny, whereas I find the Movie hysterical. I still like the show a lot, but it's just not funny. To me, it feels like the writer wasn't from Minnesota so he couldn't dig into the stereotypes as far for comedic effect.

My only complaints, basically:
1. The kid shoveling the parking lot of the motel in Episode 1 looks like he's never seen snow in his life.
2. There was an overhead shot supposedly of Gus's apartment in Duluth that was not Duluth. (Duluth is a pretty obviously looking fucking city-town).
3. Gus's apartment neighbor says "casserole" instead of "Hot Dish" (might be acceptable because he sounded like he wasn't a native anyway).
4. KINDA wished Colin Hanks actually killed Molly, but I like the direction the show is going anyway.
5. Nygaard sounds like he lost his accent in a year? I know he's changed but come on now. I lived in NYC for 3 years and I still sounded like an idiot.
I <3 Employee.