Game Of Thrones Book>Show thread SPOILERS

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Game Of Thrones Book>Show thread SPOILERS

Post by drizzle »

WTF?

i think literally every story line deviated from teh book significantly in the last ep

kinda not mad at the castle of white walkers even though it felt like some shit ripped off from lord of the rings
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

alpha

Re: Game Of Thrones Book>Show thread SPOILERS

Post by alpha »

Funny how the show deviating from the book still gets non book readers all mad. So should we list the differences first?
1. Bronn and Jaime
2. White walkers
3. Bran at crasters

I'm half awake right now, help me out Driz

Guun

Post by Guun »

Also Jon knowing about Bran being still alive. Will Sam's trip to Oldtown ever happen? They never referenced that Mance had a kid did they?

I'm interested to see how they handle this whole Bran thing. I'm guessing somehow he escapes before Jon ever sees him.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

they're re-writing the brianne/pod story too, pushing it way up. i'm wondering if the end of this season is gonna skip right ahead to Stoneheart hanging them

the raid on mereen should've been different too. isn't this around the time when Jorah gets kicked out?

alpha

Post by alpha »

Yeah that has to be coming up too

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

Ya Jorah has to be getting the boot soon, Selmy has already played it off like he doesn't know what Jorah was up to so it'll be interesting if he pulls a 180 on him or they find another way to make Dany banish him.

At this point they've made so many little changes that are just rippling out causing bigger changes as the story goes, but that stuff with the White Walkers was completely out of nowhere. I'm wondering if that's something George planned on introducing in the books or if it's just the show runners extrapolating clues and adding stuff for excitement

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

as i understand it, grrm is adding things he wished he'd put in originally.

i think it was bound to happn that the white walkers/dark one showed up mythology with melisandre and arya opens up this season.

realized i need to reread these books soon.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

wish i never entered this thread, fuck you guys.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

chapter thrive wrote:as i understand it, grrm is adding things he wished he'd put in originally.
I always assumed that the white walkers were turning the babies into one of their own, as opposed to eating them or whatever, but the scene in the ep came off kinda meh and I'm wondering if it would've played any better on page in the books. I'm not really sure it would've worked there either. I love the concept of the white walkers, but one of the best things about the books is how much they imply and let you figure out as opposed to explaining it explicitly

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

agreed completely. theres alot more menace in inferring from the bits and pieces of mythology that the characters let off every once in a while that forces you to imagine what the dark one is/are/does/means..

i barely understand the r'hllor deity from what ive read, but i have this vague idea of whats going on in the next level above the human realm cause of that.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

fuck all this

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

gotta give them credit, they flipped it nicely - more action, bran's story got a little heat added and went back on track, locke and willem defoe jr made for cool villain cameos...

fairly certain now that the first Stoneheart reveal wont be the Frey ranson, they're gonna skip right to her hanging brianne and pod

wheels

Post by wheels »

Brienne survives that right? It's been a while

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yea you think she dies but then she magically appears in book 5 to lure Jaime away from the army camp to .... somewhere

allegedly one of the leaked chapters from WOW was her pov

Guun

Post by Guun »

Anyone else find it hard to believe that people in the other thread correctly predicted the Mountain vs Oberyn trial by combat?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

yea that's a pretty incredible guess, hard to believe the came up with it randomly

IDK how I feel about Theon's rescue attempt but they got the point across about how much Ramsay has changed him. Asha's storyline sucks in the books too so I guess it doesn't matter what they do with it

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

http://www.avclub.com/article/heres-lis ... thr-205038

I guess they're gonna try to make the Dorne stuff feel more vital to what happened in the show. I can see why they would try to punch it up, in the book it feels like reading a spinoff

I guess this also confirms that Cercei loosing her shit is def next season, as it Aria's training in Bravos

Guun

Post by Guun »

Yeah. Liking that change. You're right, it did feel like a spinoff. I'm interested in how they'll introduce that whole Greyjoy storyline too w/ the kingsmoot and Victarion.

Also anxious to see the reactions to the trial by combat next week. People are going to be pissed.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Lmao, the guessing in that thread is amazong

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Just started reading the books. Hope to be a cool book fag by the end of summer.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

LOL faggots will be crying next weekend
UBM CD COMING SOON

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

So, within the next two episodes, Tywin's going to get a bolt in the gut from Tyrion after the revelation that the whole story about Tyrion's true love from Casterly Rock being a whore was made-up bullshit.

Has the story about Tyrion's ex-girl ever been told on this show? I've only started watching consistently this season so there's the chance I've missed it. If they haven't brought it up yet, it's going to feel awkward and shoehorned as hell if they introduce it within the next two weeks, to the point where I doubt they'd even use that as the impetus for Tyrion's patricide.

Post by 360 »

No they never told it, per se. They kind of visually alluded to it when Tyrion gave that one chick a gold coin back during a previous season. Perhaps a little nod to us book readers.

I really hope Tywin is on the shitter when Tyrion shoots him.

What I'm curious about is how the show is going to introduce the secret Targaryan. I'm still so curious about who the 3 dragon riders are going to be. It's easy to assume it will be Dany, Jon, and the secret Targaryan(totally forget his name). The next book really needs to come out already. I feel bad for George. There is just no way he could have predicted his story becoming so popular.

Also, I just don't think it was such a wild guess about the trial by combat being Oberyn vs The Mountain. It's obvious the Lannister's would choose the mountain and no stretch to figure that Oberyn would contend him considering he was introduced to the show this season and knowing what the mountain and lannisters did to his sister considering they told the story of the sacking of king's landing in season 1.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tywin dies in book 3 right? I've got about 150 pages left in that book

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

360 wrote:No they never told it, per se. They kind of visually alluded to it when Tyrion gave that one chick a gold coin back during a previous season. Perhaps a little nod to us book readers.
I think they did, somewhere in s1 iirc. Tyrion tells it to Shea and Bron. It was alluded to briefly a few times since then.

curious if they'll actually show Tyrion chocking out Shea with the chain. really hope they do.

super super glad they got Marshall to direct the wall battle, but where is Donald Noye? who is gonna fight the giant to hold the gate?

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

My personal theory is that tyrion is the secret third targaryan and thats why tywin hates him so much. his father actually despises him for the fact that his mother had an affair with one of the targaryan and he represents that. doubly, because tyrion's birth killed his mother. Would also explain his motivations behind the crusade against the mad king and the complete disdain he had for the whole ordeal, also why he didnt care to have his son sit on the throne when ned stark showed up, as that would have been a viable claim for the throne, before robert baratheon.

he was happy enough that the targaryans, and the source of his anger/resentment is wiped off the planet.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

drizzle wrote:super super glad they got Marshall to direct the wall battle, but where is Donald Noye? who is gonna fight the giant to hold the gate?
I think they throw Alliser Thorne in there even though he's still around in the books, they kind of hint at it when Alliser says the gate will hold and Jon asks "Have you ever seen a giant Ser Alliser?"

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Good call. He's useless once the 'jon for mayor' shit starts rolilng in anyway right?

Re the third targaryan... I always thought Yung Griff was a fake. Fits in with the 'mummers dragon' part of Dany's prophesy.

Post by 360 »

drizzle wrote:Good call. He's useless once the 'jon for mayor' shit starts rolilng in anyway right?

Re the third targaryan... I always thought Yung Griff was a fake. Fits in with the 'mummers dragon' part of Dany's prophesy.

That's quite possible and, as readers, we have nothing invested in him so there isn't an 'oh shit' value to his being one of the trinity.

alpha

Post by alpha »

not that anyone should be surprised, but GRRM said he isn't anywhere closer to finishing the books and he may do 8, and not 7... I'm just gonna accept that the show will pass the books at some point or another.