The Official Star Wars Episode VII Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Re: The Official Star Wars Episode VII Thread

Post by Spartan »

I'm cool with an iconic character being killed off in the franchise, but the way it was handled was really poor, tbh.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Spartan wrote:I'm cool with an iconic character being killed off in the franchise, but the way it was handled was really poor, tbh.
Boba Fett.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

boba fett was only an iconic character through merchandising. dude had like 2 minutes of screen time. Han Solo death sucked but damn, Kylo is dope AF. It was necessary for the development of his character as he's the obvious replacement of Vader...

alpha

Post by alpha »

Old ass Han Solo would have brought what to the rest of the trilogy? Yeah it sucks he died but it was good for the story and the development of Ren. Ren is clearly more important to the rest of the series. I mean how are people gonna complain it's too much like the first one and then want solo to live?

Too much having your cake and eating it too mf-ers.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Maybe it's the whole having seen A New Hope so many times in my life that I've lost track, but the predictable trajectory of Ep VII practically mirrors that of Ep IV (edit: blah), for a lot of the factors brought up in the past few pages.

Told the right way, sometimes predictability can be enjoyable. Be a kid again I say.
Last edited by SYM on Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

alpha wrote:Old ass Han Solo would have brought what to the rest of the trilogy? Yeah it sucks he died but it was good for the story and the development of Ren. Ren is clearly more important to the rest of the series. I mean how are people gonna complain it's too much like the first one and then want solo to live?

Having Ren kill his dad the first time they are on screen together isn't character development. It's coming up with a destination of where you want the character to end up, and then drawing a straight fucking line to that point.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Can't believe I paid to see this piece of shit.

Can't believe I waited in a long line to see this piece of shit.

Fuck this movie in its face.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Isn't that the same post you made for Creed too?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Isn't that the same post you made for Creed too?
I didn't pay for Creed; nor would I ever and, if you did, you should demand an immediate refund.

Maybe it's because I've never given a fuck about the franchise or because it was too long or because the theater was filled with a bunch of thirty and forty-something douche muffins who were all comparing their galactic erections.

Fuckin' Jurassic Park is better than this shit.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
alpha wrote:Old ass Han Solo would have brought what to the rest of the trilogy? Yeah it sucks he died but it was good for the story and the development of Ren. Ren is clearly more important to the rest of the series. I mean how are people gonna complain it's too much like the first one and then want solo to live?

Having Ren kill his dad the first time they are on screen together isn't character development. It's coming up with a destination of where you want the character to end up, and then drawing a straight fucking line to that point.
i didn't see it coming, but i was real high
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

SYM wrote:Maybe it's the whole having seen A New Hope so many times in my life that I've lost track, but the predictable trajectory of Ep VII practically mirrors that of Ep I, for a lot of the factors brought up in the past few pages.

Told the right way, sometimes predictability can be enjoyable. Be a kid again I say.
when i was a kid i had no idea how to predict storylines, so everything was a surprise & nothing felt predictable. i hadn't seen new hope in years before i watched recently & something i noticed is that since we're introduced to the droids first, luke plausibly seems like some random kid they came across. then bam he's the chosen one. of course if you're a screenwriting pro (of the CH caliber) you'll see this coming, but if you can get into kid mode like you say then you'll enjoy it more. quick solution: get super hi
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

dude's mad that they ruined the happy ending
I hate this. I hate knowing that despite all the work they did, despite the conflicts they overcame, despite their many losses they suffered already, that their miseries were just beginning. I hate the idea that whenever I watch Leia and Han kiss in Empire Strikes Back from now on, I’ll know that in a few years their son will have murdered the students of Luke’s Jedi Academy, and their romance will end in pain. I hate the idea of when I see Luke save his father Anakin in Return of the Jedi, and finally bring balance to the Force, that I’ll always know that only failure and heartache await him.
http://io9.gizmodo.com/theres-one-thing ... 1749285767
1. Nas
2. Drake

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tommy Bunz wrote:

That scene did a lot for ren'a character going forward. His (faux?) struggle will surely come up again and maybe be a big payoff. Can't argue with the straight line to get there, I just enjoyed the ride. Movie was far from perfect but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

lets get a link already. come on :P:

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

So underwhelmed by Boyega's role in this movie - was so hyped up to see it and just ... wow. Pacing was also all over the place. Finn was a bit too quick to kill his former brothers and Rey bested Kylo Ren without any formal training whatsoever.

But Finn was just a disappointing character to me. With the way he was slipping and sliding in every action scene he can't be force sensitive which means that my interest in any future sequels is GONE.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Doesn't help that there was zero chemistry between Ford and Carrie Fisher, who was obviously just there to cash a check and was visibly umad they had the nerve to ask her to stop eating long enough for her to fit on an IMAX screen.
Daaamn ... and I thought I was harsh. Ouch.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kace

Post by Kace »

I knew ChaMerz would hate it. The only Star Wars movie he likes is the Phantom Menace.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Kace wrote:I knew ChaMerz would hate it. The only Star Wars movie he likes is the Phantom Menace.
I don't hate it - it's just the marketing campaign suggested or implied that Finn would be the central Jedi in the story and I went into the movie with this assumption and ended up being really disappointed.

Mace Windu and Lando Calrissian were more badass than this guy. Lando was permed out, smooth talking and owned Cloud City. Mace was a Jedi Master.

Who is Finn?

:shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp:

He works in "sanitation". A stormtrooper garbageman? C'mon son.

Further:
- He is likely not force sensitive
- He got curved by the cute white chick :owens: - she only gave him a bro hug and a peck on the forehead.

Not my definition of a bad ass. I had a lot riding on this Boyega dude and combined with the hype I really expected more from him and this movie.

Anyways, I've come to realize I don't really like movies as a medium. I've enjoyed the Star Wars books (& video games) far more than the movies. I've tried rewatching Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith and they are all cringe-worthy to me.

& does this movie follow the story presented in the novels? I thought Jacen was the Solo kid that went darkside? Or are Ben and Jacen both darkside? Shit's confusing to me.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Definitely some misdirection with Finn being a jedi. I still liked the character and can see him playing a more integral part in the rest of the trilogy. Boyega seemed more of a natural compared to the remainder of the cast. He did however deliver one of the worst lines this year, "do you have a boyfriend... a cute boyfriend?", WTF was that about?

And the Expanded Universe is irrelevant to Disney, even though some shit has obviously been mined and reworked from there.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I actually really loved the fact that Finn wasn't a jedi, just a bumbling kid who suddenly has a very hard life choice thrust upon him and does his best at dealing with the consequences. There are a few moments where his naivete is pushed to an eye-rolling YA narrative level, but overall I think he's is one of the most interesting and original character concepts the franchise has ever seen. He may actually be the only truly original thing in this whole movie, the only new idea logically spawned from the story that has been told on screen and not a rehash of something we've seen previously or some meta reference.

This franchise needs shit like this way more than another iteration/chapter of the Skywalker myth, in any form.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Max Landis is getting fried for this shit, and while he def goes overboard on some of it there are good points in this too. I especially like his thing about how conjectures about Rey's repressed memories or possible family lineage shouldn't matter, and relying on things like that is more akin to TV show plotting than to movies. It echoes one of the things about the movie I can't get past myself - the fact that this is clearly meant just as a first step of an ongoing franchise, and it's hard to really tell what's in here because it serves the story being told in TFA, and how much is just seeding for future direct sequels and standalone installments and other tie-ins. Were Maz Kanada and Von Sydow's characters underbaked plot devices/cameos, or are they just being established briefly here to be used later elsewhere? Was Han's death just a rushed way to an obligatory big character death/establishment for Kylo, or will it serve the same purpose as Ed Stark's death and be a catalyst to a long reaching chain of events? Were Poe and Phasma really just thinly drawn secondary characters that got marketing top billings, or were their screen-time and roles purposefully limited to develop them more later. Etc etc etc....

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

He's wasting his time with the lynch mob, they'll move onto another sucker next week. I enjoy it when he goes full retard with nerd outrage, though. He went off on one about Rey being a Mary Sue again on Screen Junkies yesterday. Dude even put me to shame with his dissatisfaction over the absence of A-Wings, B-Wings and Tie-Interceptors in the latest film.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

some shit that kinda bothered me that I haven't seen mentioned yet, ranging from minor nerd rage to (imo) legit squabbles

- The outro with Luke's introduction felt insanely rushed and tacked on. Rey finding Luke should've been a first act of the next movie, not a 2 min sequence reeking of 'well we can't just NOT have Luke in this at all so let's just throw these nerds a bone that will make our life easier too'. Or alternately maybe the second half of this movie should've been devoted to searching for Luke and filling in the backstory of what happened with Kylo, instead of just blowing up another Death Star.

- Tying in to what I said above re: backstory, Rey's lighsaber vision showed scenes from what might be a better movie than the one we saw, really hope they play it all out in the next one.

- The Raid dudes were completely wasted in their cameo, and even worse, for some reason made up like Borg Spice Girls. And that whole sequence with the killer space octopuses was retarded in general, it felt like something from a different movie.

Kace

Post by Kace »

ChaMerZ wrote: Who is Finn?

:shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp: :shittylikesometp:

So stormtroopers can't be garbage men now? You sound just like Randal in Clerks:

'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

starks

Post by starks »

it was horrible. the prequels had better moments and better pacing.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

drizzle wrote:

Max Landis is getting fried for this shit, and while he def goes overboard on some of it there are good points in this too. I especially like his thing about how conjectures about Rey's repressed memories or possible family lineage shouldn't matter, and relying on things like that is more akin to TV show plotting than to movies. It echoes one of the things about the movie I can't get past myself - the fact that this is clearly meant just as a first step of an ongoing franchise, and it's hard to really tell what's in here because it serves the story being told in TFA, and how much is just seeding for future direct sequels and standalone installments and other tie-ins. Were Maz Kanada and Von Sydow's characters underbaked plot devices/cameos, or are they just being established briefly here to be used later elsewhere? Was Han's death just a rushed way to an obligatory big character death/establishment for Kylo, or will it serve the same purpose as Ed Stark's death and be a catalyst to a long reaching chain of events? Were Poe and Phasma really just thinly drawn secondary characters that got marketing top billings, or were their screen-time and roles purposefully limited to develop them more later. Etc etc etc....

Damn John birthed a homo, huh?

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

ChaMerZ wrote:does this movie follow the story presented in the novels? I thought Jacen was the Solo kid that went darkside? Or are Ben and Jacen both darkside? Shit's confusing to me.
No, forget anything from the novels, they're not considered canon and won't have anything to do with any new movies. They're just "Legends" or some some such shit now. Jacen does not exist in this universe.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:some shit that kinda bothered me that I haven't seen mentioned yet, ranging from minor nerd rage to (imo) legit squabbles

- The outro with Luke's introduction felt insanely rushed and tacked on. Rey finding Luke should've been a first act of the next movie, not a 2 min sequence reeking of 'well we can't just NOT have Luke in this at all so let's just throw these nerds a bone that will make our life easier too'. Or alternately maybe the second half of this movie should've been devoted to searching for Luke and filling in the backstory of what happened with Kylo, instead of just blowing up another Death Star.

- Tying in to what I said above re: backstory, Rey's lighsaber vision showed scenes from what might be a better movie than the one we saw, really hope they play it all out in the next one.

- The Raid dudes were completely wasted in their cameo, and even worse, for some reason made up like Borg Spice Girls. And that whole sequence with the killer space octopuses was retarded in general, it felt like something from a different movie.
They had to show Luke though, I much preferred this to yet ANOTHER celebration scene tacked on at the end. I agree that it would have been a better movie if they'd sought Luke out during the second half of the movie and had a climactic battle with the Order at the planet where he's located in which he appears and kicks much ass, saving the Resistance from defeat. I guess they just wanted that ticking clock of the super weapon about to go off.

I'm sure Rey's backstory will be more fully developed in later movies. I mean, she has to be Luke's daughter which would explain how she was able to grasp the force so quickly. She's had prior training. I agree with you that Finn was a very interesting character, and is one of the better ones they've created. I loved that they tricked us with who had the force powers on the trailers. Daisy Ridley could really blow up from this, she has an incredible screen presence.

One of my nerd rages was that after Han dies and Chewie and Rey return to the Resistance planet Chewie just walks by Leia like nothing happened and Leia has a tearful moment with Rey instead. This definitely contributes to the idea that Han's death wasn't fully capitalized on.

Why are they called the Resistance when the Republic is the dominant form of government in the galaxy?

Having seen the movie a couple times now I really have no desire to see it again for a good long while.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

jamrage wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:does this movie follow the story presented in the novels? I thought Jacen was the Solo kid that went darkside? Or are Ben and Jacen both darkside? Shit's confusing to me.
No, forget anything from the novels, they're not considered canon and won't have anything to do with any new movies. They're just "Legends" or some some such shit now. Jacen does not exist in this universe.
aahh ... good looking out. somehow this was never clear to me all this time. i really liked darth caedus :owens:

they might not be canon but the new universe is clearly inspired by the tantalizng scenarios presented in the books.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Kace wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote: Who is Finn?

So stormtroopers can't be garbage men now? You sound just like Randal in Clerks:

Maybe the Boba Fett ejaculates but not a descendant of the great Lando Calrissian.