Favorite Season of The Wire

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Pick your favorite season of The Wire:

12%
14%
22%
52%
No votes

Total votes: 69

Tommy Bunz

Re: Favorite Season of The Wire

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:the wire is not meant to be in HD, I remember reading some comment from Simon about how they purposefully shot it in full frame and grainy. so what they're doing here sounds kinda akin to colorizing bw movies
Nah man the Wire was shot on 35mm film and then cropped afterwards to a full frame aspect ratio and broadcast in standard def because Simon wanted it that way.
Remastering the original film elements in HD would be a vast improvement.
My only worry is if they are taking the full frame and then cropping that down to a 16x9 ratio, which would mean you'd lose a lot of the top and bottom of the picture.
But I doubt HBO would be dumb enough to do that.

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

Tommy Bunz wrote:My only worry is if they are taking the full frame and then cropping that down to a 16x9 ratio, which would mean you'd lose a lot of the top and bottom of the picture.
But I doubt HBO would be dumb enough to do that.

They're not doing that, but Simon isn't thrilled:

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-finis ... -is-212510" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

wait so they did shoot it in 4:3
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

They shot 35mm, but it was purposely framed for 4:3. It's basically going to be a bunch of underutilized space on the left and right.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

fuck. yes.

In the six years that have passed since the conclusion of the HBO series The Wire: The Complete Series, the critically acclaimed drama has turned into a worldwide phenomenon that has been hailed as "the best show in the history of television" by MSNBC. This summer, the series will make its highly anticipated debut on Blu-ray disc for the very first time.

The 20-disc box set featuring all 60 episodes of the hit series in a stunningly re-mastered 16x9 full-screen HD format is showcased with newly redesigned box art. The Wire: The Complete Series on Blu-ray with Digital HD ($199.99) is loaded with an exciting slate of bonus materials, including four behind-the-scenes documentaries, three prequels that explore life before The Wire, and an all-new cast and crew Q&A from the Paley Center for Media's The Wire reunion event. The Wire: The Complete Series on Blu-ray with Digital HD will be in stores June 2, 2015 - just in time for Father's Day and summer binge watching - and is a must-have for all TV connoisseurs!

The Wire depicts an American urban dystopia, framed in our time, in which easy distinctions between good and evil and crime and punishment are challenged at every turn. In five successive seasons, the series depicts a Baltimore in which institutional prerogatives, economic inequalities and a brutalizing drug war confound the efforts to advance the city and its people. The series' first season lays out the futility of the drug war, while the second highlights the deindustrialization and the death of the working class. The third season introduces the city's political culture and lays out the forces that stand in the path of actual reform. The fourth season addresses the educational system and the actual opportunities that remain to coming generations. The fifth and final season examines the media culture and its role in perpetuating the status quo. Amid all of this, carefully drawn characters on both sides of the law and from a variety of Baltimore cultures move forward as best they can, human to a flaw, struggling against a system that seems weighted against civic progress.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Thoroughly enjoying reading Simon going HAM on idiot commenters on his blog regarding the riots

http://davidsimon.com/baltimore/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

david simon wrote:Labour doesn't get to win all its arguments, capital doesn't get to. But it's in the tension, it's in the actual fight between the two, that capitalism actually becomes functional, that it becomes something that every stratum in society has a stake in, that they all share.
the one you linked is being heavily publicized but imo the protesters need to impose some cost (ie property damage) or they won't be noticed. i'm not down with burning & looting but that's the point -- they gotta do something bad cause being nice doesn't get you shit.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Since this thread has just been bumped and I've been watching this show since Easter I'm going to briefly say that I have been enjoying it a lot. Haven't seen Season 5 yet but I guess that's the least favored.

Season 1 and 3 is top quality cop+gangsters TV - or at least that's what I took from it. The best characters get the most screentime here. Eventhough S3 is my favorite the Hamsterdam subplot is a bit questionable.
2 and 4 has more drama and overt social msgs but also held up well for me although the early episodes of Season 2 are a bit of a mess and kinda boring.

My favorite central characters are Bunk and Stringer but I also like the understated performance of Lieutenant Davis a lot.

:lastweek:
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^ya that ranking makes sense. sometimes i put 4 higher but

in terms of 5 i think it's a bit hard to wrap up the series but they did a dec' job.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

LOL

Reading through this thread it's like you're almost meant to feel bad for enjoying the police&gangsters-aspect of the show ahead of other themes.

EDIT: Oh, right. It's esp bad if youre white. American racestuff is so :lol:
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: American racestuff is so Image
1. Nas
2. Drake

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Bluray set is back down to $80 on Amazon, finally caved.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

$60 today. You might have to have prime to buy it at that price though.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/actress-char ... possession" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actress charged with drug possession in North Carolina

Posted Jul 22 2019 02:16PM EDT

Updated Jul 22 2019 02:17PM EDT

MANTEO, N.C. (AP) - Actress Sonja Sohn, who played a detective in the HBO series "The Wire," is facing charges of felony possession of cocaine and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The sheriff's office in Dare County, North Carolina, says Sohn, whose legal name is Sonja Plack, was arrested after midnight Sunday in Manteo on the Outer Banks.

Authorities say it happened after a traffic stop. Sohn was a passenger in the vehicle. The sheriff's office says a K-9 detected the smell of drugs, and a purse with cocaine and drug paraphernalia was found after a search.

Bail was set at $1,500 for the 55-year-old actress, and she was released from the county detention center. An arraignment is scheduled for Tuesday.

Sohn also has had roles in TV series including "The Chi," and "The Originals."