Mad Max remake

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Re: Mad Max remake

Post by Spartan »

Perhaps action flicks aren't your thing, ric.

ric

Post by ric »

@spartan
haha. i would disagree but maybe you're right at some level

let me just quote an edit I put in at the end there because it sums up a lot about what I think is going on

everybody is just gushing over the materials integrity and the feminist line etc and that stuff is cool and awesome but a lot of shit is getting overlooked simply because the movie avoids a lot of traps and stupid shit that plagues a lot of (action) films nowadays

like this movie is 'astonishing' if fast and furious 2 is your bar. for what it's worth a site that thinks everyone should watch Snowpiercer doesn't even give this movie the highest praise I've seen. we're entering an era where the intellectuals are more concerned with jacking off their own ego (and writing about it) than watching a quality film and appreciating what it is and what is not

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

honestly some of the worst film criticism i've ever read :lol:

agony

Post by agony »

Best action movie I've seen since The Raid

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

In case anyone's interested:

Code: Select all

http://hitfile.net/1RAn/www.NewAlbumReleases.net_Junkie%20XL%20-%20Mad%20Max%20Fury%20Road%20Original%20Motion%20Picture%20Soundtrack%20(2015).rar.html

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Watched it again. Only thing I didn't like is that dude had a paracord bracelet.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Seems like you didn't enjoy it for a lot of pretty didactic reasons. I'm not sure how you can enjoy genre fiction at all if you can't suspend disbelief for a majority of the things you listed, which are pretty small details to be upset about in a Mad Max movie of all things. What have you seen in recent years that tops this?
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

the hulk wasn't in it = ric didn't cry

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

agony wrote:Best action movie I've seen since The Raid
I was thinking about this the other day (The Raid 1+2 v Mad Max). It's unavoidable.

I personally like stabbings and kung-fu more than cars and explosions - but I can respect that many people would prefer the latter.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
agony wrote:Best action movie I've seen since The Raid
I was thinking about this the other day (The Raid 1+2 v Mad Max). It's unavoidable.
The Raid movies might end up as our time's equivalent of the Man With No Name Trilogy or Woo's run in the late 80s-early 90s, so it's a totally apt and inevitable comparison. It's very much apples and oranges and I don't think it's even possible to compare MM to Raids on a direct 1-1 level, thinking about them together is more just mental accounting of the stuff that's going to the very very top shelf of the genre.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ric

Post by ric »

seriously though dont let me rain on your parade.
@seagrams
i liked it. a lot. im just the only person in the entire world apparently that recognizes its not as well crafted as other movies that deserve the high praise they get. they dont get to just set you up and establish a bunch of shit and then throw it all away just because a wailing guitar sounds awesome and 'wouldnt it be awesome if...' and 'wouldnt it look cool when....' and then after all that build up of the dude being evil and awe inspiring it turns out hes really not that ruthless or special which is wild homo and totally runs against not only the narrative build but the world build. in the end hes really just an old sick lazy capitalist patriarch who hasnt even really done anything but make some speeches and drive around. hes not fucking any sort of villain he just looks and talks and everybody worships and fears him like he is one which totally and completely reduces the heroic achievements accomplished and collapses the world build in on itself but oh you know guess what? explosions fire and desert. boom.

but you know shit what do i know? im just some dude out there who doesnt think snowpiercer is a necessary viewing experience.
Tommy Bunz wrote:honestly some of the worst film criticism i've ever read :lol:
:lol:

haha. fair enough. i mean its not "film criticism" but whatever. gush over all the awesome stuff all you want but at some point youre going to think to yourself 'man this 30 second confrontation with the bad guy is NOT satisfying at all what the fuck was i thinking?'

and if you dont think so then i hope you go on your merry way but dont complain when movies start to make less and less sense and contradict themselves 1000 times and only exist to look and sound cool. we had that moment and it sucked. it was called the sag strike and it was horrible.

thats on you and the rest of the legion of doughy eyed fools for potentially destroying this great hobby and shaping it to be something ridiculous. i dont want to live in a world where snow piercer and mad max are the kings of action movies.

seriously though the writing is ridiculous. the more i thought about this last night the more i realize this author is stuck in the 80s. there were a lot of dumb movies in the 80s. lets not bring the 80s back with better special effects please
unbelievable dickhead wrote:the hulk wasn't in it = ric didn't cry
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no i did cry :lol:
i just think this movie is super overrated. like amazingly overrated.

being genre doesnt mean that you get to just get away with kitschy bullshit that doesnt fucking fit especially when the rest of the whole fucking movie manages to be awesome and not kitschy. the movie is a 7-7.5. it couldve been 8.5-9ish but it trips over itself. you dont get to relegate yourself to a genre film when people are talking about movie of the year after two days etc. the second you want to test the mettle of this film is the second you should actually start testing it.

if mad max wins movie of the year on any list maybe we should all start to reflect on either it being the wrong choice or it being a weak fucking year.
Last edited by ric on Tue May 26, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alpha

Post by alpha »

and here's your dirt dirt winner for 2015.

ric

Post by ric »

@alpha
hahahahaha

if last year the cleveland browns had somehow limped into the superbowl and the arizona cardinals had somehow limped into the superbowl no one would reasonably think 'well yeah this is the matchup between the two best teams in the league'

i mean thats all im saying here :lol:

seagrams hotsauce

I really did not take any of that away from the movie. The conclusion you drew about the villain still plays into the themes of movie.
I'm really not sure what they established and didn't follow up on that was of any consequence. There's a lot of subtle detail that goes into 'worldbuilding' (gonna go punch myself in the balls for ever typing that word) that I didn't even really consciously pick up on til I thought about it after (mostly design stuff) but nothing that I felt was distracting or needed to be followed up on. From what you typed, I'd think you'd accidently walked into Prometheus.

I love you ric, but if you were anyone else, I'd probably put you on ignore because imo that is such an off-base read on what the movie presented. Dirt Dirt indeed.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I think ric makes some fair points here and there, particularly about the final battle with Immortan Joe. Honestly, it happened so fast I still have no idea how he was killed beyond the macro level of him getting his face ripped off. That said, it didn't really bother me that much that it did happen so fast.

That said, you're hugely nitpicking here, ric. The writing was phenomenal, and I can't recall a movie that had the pace this did. Was it perfect, no, but it's probably the best film Martin has ever made which is truly remarkable given his age. Like it or not, this is a very strong movie in any year.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

i have a buddy who i think went to the ric school of film critiquery. just sit back and enjoy the fucking show for what it is. dudes acting like they don't like it...

go put on your crocs and take an introspective stroll. off a cliff. homos.

ric

Post by ric »

@seagrams
haha allright fair enough i guess. its just one mans opinion. i just want to bring it down to earth a little
ill exit thread momentarily

@jamrage
its an awesome movie. the pacing and writing is really sweet. ultimately this film shoots for the moon but just gets pulled back down to earth. if they can clean up the consistency of the look and just neutralize retarded moments it would be so hard to have anything to say against this movie but the retarded shit breaks the spell

@jredd
hahaha i feel it

peace bros
:megaman:

seagrams hotsauce

Now I feel like I partook in running off the Armond White of this thread :owens:

ric

Post by ric »

@seagrams
came back in to see updates

i just googled that dude. :lol: dont worry about it man. im not hating the movie at all nor am i merely being contrarian

:megaman: :megaman: :megaman:

seagrams hotsauce

Lol I don't think you're just being contrarian at all. I didn't intend that to be a diss, just don't want to chase off the one dude who isn't going 'FUCK YEAH THIS IS THE BEST SHIT EVER' just for not doing that

agony

Post by agony »

Ramen wrote:Watched it again. Only thing I didn't like is that dude had a paracord bracelet.
Ha, yeah noticed that right at the end.
Then I realized he was wearing a form of webbing the latter part of the movie. Where that came from I have no idea.

Ref The Raid, this is the only film that got me even comparing another movie to The Raid. Which got me thinking about other action flicks of a similar breed.
Now I'm watching Dredd

Comedy Quaddafi

http://feministmadmax.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Probably the greatest film related blog on tumblr.

lol @ randomly having "ryan gosling" in the tags.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Gosling is in the tags because its a rip of the the gosling "hey girl" meme

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/feminist-ryan-gosling" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://feministryangosling.tumblr.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Oh, it's one of those cheeky Nando's type things. I take it all back.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

This is way cooler

B-roll footage of the stunt work, love behind the scenes shit like this

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

and here's the peacemaker without its shell :ohsh:

from another great article

http://jalopnik.com/how-the-man-behind- ... 1704037927" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

@bunz
that soundtrack is awesome. great percussion holy shit

Comedy Quaddafi

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/ma ... influences" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who would have thought that “women in prison” films, one of the most despised exploitation movie subgenres, would become so influential? And yet, stealthily, the films have permeated popular culture in recent years. Orange is the New Black has garnered widespread acclaim for both its storytelling and its diverse cast; the Australian series Wentworth set new standards for brutality on the small screen. And now, Mad Max: Fury Road is winning accolades from virtually everyone for its high-octane vision of feminist heroism and patriarchy upended.

Fury Road hasn’t generally been thought of as a WIP film. But much of it has been lifted directly from that genre. The whole movie is organised around a prison escape. Furiosa (Charlize Theron) is freeing a group of women from sex slavery at the hands of the evil patriarch Immortan Joe (Hugh Keays-Byrne). The fact that those freed prisoners all look like supermodels dressed in lingerie is a standard WIP trope. So is their growing battle-hardened resourcefulness and, for that matter, their commitment to feminist revolution. The end of the film is foreshadowed directly in Jonathan Demme’s cult WIP classic Caged Heat.
The Big Bird Cage >
- MB

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

my friend kept interrupting in the first half hour like "what? there is absolutely no plot exposition at all, this is ridiculous" and "what the fuck is that guy in the guitar doing!?"

i just said in my loudest whisper voice: "SUSPEND YOUR DISBELIEF AND JUST ENJOY THE RIDE"

best movie experience in a long time...well fuck, i guess since fast 7, but yea, this was exactly what i wanted when i saw the trailers/heard about the release and thought I'd get times ten
Nets 2022