Community Is Coming Back

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Community Is Coming Back

Post by Dan »

There's going to be a 6th season!
Community Moving to Yahoo! For Sixth Season

Community lives! Internet giant Yahoo, which made it clear last spring that it wanted to jump into the same original programming waters as Netflix, Amazon and Hulu, has struck a deal with producer Sony Pictures Television to stream a 13-episode, sixth and almost certainly final season of the Dan Harmon comedy. And yes, Harmon will be back as showrunner. "I am very pleased that Community will be returning for its predestined sixth season on Yahoo,” Harmon said in a release announcing the dea. “I look forward to bringing our beloved NBC sitcom to a larger audience by moving it online. I vow to dominate our new competition. Rest easy, Big Bang Theory. Look out, Bang Bus!" Community was canceled by NBC in May, but lead production studio Sony Pictures Television has been working relentlessly to find a new home for the show ever since. The studio engaged in serious conversations with Hulu about a deal, with the internet streamer seriously interested in acquiring exclusive rights to season six (it already syndicates past seasons). The two sides couldn’t make the economics work, however, people familiar with the discussions said. By contrast, Yahoo!, eager to land a show with a built-in audience and flush with cash, didn’t have a problem figuring out the financial details. Indeed, Vulture hears the production budget for Community’s sixth season will not be dramatically different than the most recent NBC season of the show.

In addition to Harmon returning as showrunner, Community vet Chris McKenna is also in talks to return as exec producer and Harmon's top lieutenant. And while the six seasons part of #SixSeasonsAndAMovie has come true, there’s nothing official — yet— about the feature film part. Industry insiders, however, say there have been discussions about how that might still happen, too. NBCUniversal-owned Universal Televison, meanwhile, blessed Sony's talks with Yahoo and will remain as a co-producer on the show (though Sony, as it always has, will remain lead studio in day-to-day production of the show).

The Yahoo deal represents an amazing reprieve for Community, which many Hollywood types considered to be well and truly dead after NBC's axing and after various cable nets passed on the show. But Sony execs, as they have in the past with many shows on their roster, continued to explore all options to keep the show alive. (The studio has developed something of a rep for not accepting network cancellations as final verdicts, having previously resurrected Damages, Rules of Engagement and Unforgettable. Sony is now hoping to secure a second season of NBC's The Night Shift, which had been assumed to be a summer burn-off but has so far performed well for the Peacock). Timing also worked to Sony's benefit, since Community's free agency happened around the same time as Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer's plan to jump into first-run programming. The Internet giant wants to find new ways to attract advertisers beyond print content and short-form web series. And while outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and Variety have reported Yahoo has been talking to agents about finding new material their clients might produce for Yahoo, picking up Community will let Yahoo quickly get into the first-run, full-length series game.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/communit ... eason.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LilLeftBrain

Re: Community Is Coming Back

Post by LilLeftBrain »

weird wild stufft
moved by duck muscles

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

:ohhh: :mrcee: :face:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Last season was hit or miss but still pretty happy about this.
Glover really needs to stop acting like a fag and come back.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Dan wrote:There's going to be a 6th season!
Yeah...but why?
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

stupidregister wrote:
Dan wrote:There's going to be a 6th season!
Yeah...but why?

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

last season had some dope episodes. I am happy about this news.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

very appropriate dan made this thread, fuckin stocked. now community can curse and stuff?? curious if theyll be a lil more edgy or just stick w the format of a network sitcom

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Last season was hit or miss but still pretty happy about this.
Glover really needs to stop acting like a fag and come back.

haven't watched in a while but he rob lowed on them?? what he thinks he's big time now? the only reason his little rap career got noticed was this show. at least hold it down for your community pal.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

dong lover will be back

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ugh glover is an insufferable fag and it has creeped into his character . can't separate the two enough anymore . shitty rapper piece of shit
Nets 2022

Dan

Post by Dan »

No Shirley in the upcoming new season.
Greendale College has lost another student.

Yvette Nicole Brown's Shirley won't be retuning to "Community" when it makes its move to Yahoo! next year, following five seasons on NBC.

The actress told TV Guide that she's leaving the show in order to care of her ailing father.

"Yvette was an integral part of Community and is irreplaceable. We are sad to see her go and wish her the very best," the show's creators Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna said in a statement.

It's unclear as of now how the show will explain Shirley's absence, but it will reportedly be introducing two major characters, one male and one female.

Fans will still be able to see Brown on TV in 2015 however. She recently took on a supporting CBS' upcoming revival of "The Odd Couple," co-starring Matthew Perry and Thomas Lennon. The show is a multi-camera comedy which will have a much more flexible schedule than "Community."

"A multi-camera sitcom is a better fit for the life I have now," Brown explained. "I can't say enough how much I respect Sony and Dan for how they handled this profound change in my life."

"Community" stars Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Alison Brie, Danny Pudi, Ken Jeong and Jim Rash will all return. Co-stars Donald Glover and Jonathan Banks exited the series last season.

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/news/yvette-nicol ... skobrsU.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Good fuck her

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah I never liked Shirley and she fit in the group even less after Chevy left.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Well now it might be worth checking out. She was consistently the worst part of the show.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Meh. The chipping away of the original cast is wack to me.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Glad to see some fellow Shirley haters. I put her in a most-annoying-tv-character poll once and got lambasted for it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Season 6 trailer. Show comes back on March 17th, with Yahoo airing a new episode every Tuesday.

Hard to believe they actually made it to 6 seasons.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I hate this show.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Do you have to have some type of yahoo subscription?

EDIT:

There have been some terrific Shirley specific episodes, in particular the early season one where her and Jeff begin to gossip about everybody.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Was pretty worried but the 1st episode calmed my initial hesitation.

Where's my nigga Donglover?
UBM CD COMING SOON

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

just watched the 1st episode. Terrible. Probably one of the worst of the series. I'm about to check ep 2. I hope it gets better.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

bbatson1 wrote:just watched the 1st episode. Terrible. Probably one of the worst of the series. I'm about to check ep 2. I hope it gets better.
It was nearly as bad as the Hunger Games ep or many of the terrible eps in season 4.
UBM CD COMING SOON

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

^Yeah. Maybe not that bad. Just didn't find anything in it to be funny. Just finished Ep 2, it had some funnier moments. When Britta made that face and sound about her parents.. that was pretty funny.

It's kind of what i expected though so i'm not that let down. The lack of characters now does show in the script. The dialogue is just sort of missing without the different characters.

Britta looks good too. :gyeah:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Britta kinda killed that whole second episode imo.
First two episodes were good. Surprised that I actually enjoyed Paget Brewster in this, was expecting to hate her.
Portugese Gremlins was pretty amazing.

Dan

Post by Dan »

Watched the first 2 episodes this morning. I'm glad it's back, but I wasn't overly impressed with either of them. At least there aren't any commercial breaks.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Really liked the newest episode w the karate kid adaptation lol

Seems they're finally finding their stride again

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Last episode was pretty pretty good, britta killing shit. They should rely on her for laughs more often.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

new paintball episode this week!