Check the Technique: Vol. 2 (October 2014)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Dan

Check the Technique: Vol. 2 (October 2014)

Post by Dan »

I just found out that Brian Coleman is coming out with a new Hip Hop liner notes book later this year. His first, Rakim Told Me, later re-released under a new name and with additional chapters, Check the Technique are great reads.

Image Image

The new book looks great. Here's the albums that are covered:

1 - 3rd Bass - The Cactus Album
2 - The Beatnuts - Intoxicated Demons The EP
3 - Black Sheep - A Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing
4 - Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
5 - The Coup - Steal This Album
6 - Diamond and the Psychotic Neurotics - Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop
7 - DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - He’s The DJ, I’m The Rapper
8 - Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst
9 - ED O.G & Da Bulldogs - Life Of A Kid In The Ghetto
10 - Gravediggaz - Niggamortis [aka 6 Feet Deep]
11 - Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa’s Most Wanted & Kill At Will
12 - Jeru The Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East
13 - KMD - Black Bastards
14 - Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Wanted: Dead Or Alive
15 - Kwamé Featuring A New Beginning - The Boy Genius
16 - Lord Finesse & DJ Mike Smooth - Funky Technician
17 - Mantronix - The Album
18 - Masta Ace Incorporated - SlaughtaHouse
19 - Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Are Black Star
20 - Naughty By Nature - Naughty By Nature
21 - Nice & Smooth - Ain’t A Damn Thing Changed
22 - [Chef] Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx…
23 - Smif-N-Wessun - Dah Shinin’
24 - Stetsasonic - In Full Gear
25 - Various - Wild Style Breakbeats

Chapter 1 was released with permission on egotripland, but will only be up for a limited time.
3rd Bass — The Cactus Al/bum
The album finally came out in late October of 1989 and went gold within six months. It was enjoyed by fans of all stripes, from hardcore heads to college jocks. It was serious at times but always followed headiness with a good dose of humor or bone-headed fun. Perhaps “The Gas Face” encapsulates what the group was about most effectively: a bouncy, catchy-as-hell beat and funny, loose vocal turns (and an excellent video with more cameos than you can count). But, underneath it all, there is a significant dose of intelligence and honesty about racism and the world in which we were all living, from Far Rockaway, Queens to Johannesburg.

“We honestly never got pigeonholed for being too serious or too goofy,” Serch says. “Our audience and the record label let us do what we wanted. I tell artists today the same thing: ‘Don’t overthink it, just make music.’ That’s what Russell [Simmons] and Lyor [Cohen] told us. ‘Make music and we’ll figure it out.’ We wanted to be goofy, and political and serious. But the one thing we really wanted to be, without question, was dope.”

“It’s a great body of work,” Serch continues. “We were kids enjoying the process of making our first album, and that’s exactly how it sounds.”

Pete says, looking back: “There were just so many different styles on that album, that’s one of the best things about it. It all just flows, from ‘Gas Face’ to ‘Product Of The Environment.’ I’m very proud of that.”

Richie Rich says, “Sonically, they had such an amazing team, with Pete, Sam [Sever], Prince Paul and everyone involved. Musically, that album was just a big step forward. There wasn’t one sample on that record that had been used before, at least not that I know of. They used The Doors, all these rock artists that nobody was thinking of using back then. It opened things up for what was appropriate to be sampled in hip-hop after that. Plus, they were two white dudes who were really rappin’. It was exciting to tour with them, we won people over wherever we went.”

Pete mentions some interesting and monetarily-tempting opportunities they declined back when the album started taking off: “We turned down Sprite commercials because we didn’t want to sell out. Russell and the president of Sony were begging us to accept an offer to be on Beverly Hills 90210. But we thought it was wack. On one level, maybe we should have done some of those types of things. But at the time it seemed crazy.”

Serch makes an interesting point about the timing of the album’s release: “I guess the reason that it took so long is that we just didn’t have the right records until the end. If the album would have come out in 1988 as me and Pete had wanted, I’m not sure how it would have done. We didn’t have ‘The Gas Face’; ‘Steppin’ To The A.M.’; ‘Brooklyn-Queens’; or even the final version of ‘Wordz Of Wizdom.’ Looking back, it’s good that it was delayed a bit. We needed some time to grow and develop as a group. We didn’t see that at the time, of course. But, looking back now, that’s what I see.”

“I wouldn’t want to change anything about The Cactus,” Pete concludes. “It came out exactly as we wanted it to. When we hit gold, there weren’t that many artists with gold records. We never made records to be popular, so to be popular by doing what we wanted was important.”

And aside from some death threats along the way — allegedly from MC Hammer and his brother [see “The Cactus” song comments, below] and some East Coast gang-bangers — along with a couple of C.I.A.-style wire-taps conducted by the duo on their boss, it was all smooth, funky sailing.

Stymie’s Theme

PETE NICE: I put that one together. I was a huge “Little Rascals” fan. A lot of guys our age grew up knowing what that music was. I don’t want to give away too many other samples and get sued, though.

Sons Of 3rd Bass

MC SERCH: The Beastie Boys were huge at the time, and one day I saw Mike D on the street and I ended up talking to him in his apartment after that, because I needed some advice. He gave me really good insight about Russell and gave me some perspective that I really didn’t have at the time. They had gotten out of their Def Jam deal by then. I was leaving his apartment and saying thanks and all of a sudden he just started throwing shit at me, like foam balls and stuff lying around his apartment. I looked at him like he was crazy and I just left. There was no reason for him to do that. Two months later there was a piece in SPIN and the writer asked them what they thought of 3rd Bass or 3 The Hard Way and Mike D said how he threw shit at me and shooed me out or something like that. So that’s where “Sons Of 3rd Bass” came from. I didn’t know any of them before I met Mike that day. That shit he did was really uncalled-for, he was a real asshole. So that’s why I did it. It was like, “I’m going to dis you the best way I can, on wax.” Overall, I thought that there were parts of what the Beasties were doing that were wack. But they weren’t as bad as Hammer.

PETE: By that point, Rick Rubin and the Beasties were off Def Jam, it was a whole different label, really. LL had tanked with [1989’s] Walking With A Panther, so the label was riding on us, Public Enemy and Slick Rick. We felt like we should stand up for the label, but it was more about us being annoyed at the Beasties. Sam Sever was tight with them, so that was weird. And Dante Ross knew them, too. We never thought that song would be a single, we wouldn’t want to be propelled on a dis like that. With the loop on there [Blood, Sweat & Tears’ “Spinning Wheel”], we were playing the song for an executive at Columbia and a guy comes running in the office, asking what we were playing. It was Bobby Colomby, the drummer from Blood, Sweat & Tears, who was an A & R at Columbia. He heard his own song and was freaked out [laughs]. He loved our song, and the sample was cleared. He was just floored hearing our song with his sample, down the hall from his office.

Russell Rush

PETE: I used to secretly record the guys at Def Jam. I did that with all of our meetings, just to hear all the bullshit they would say. That’s where “Russell Rush” came from. That was an actual meeting we had with him. Bill Stephney, Russell and Lyor would tell us all kinds of stuff, and we thought they were just blowing smoke up our asses. So we said, “Fuck it, if they’re going to lie to us, we can at least prove it!” [laughs]. For that episode on the skit, we were in his lawyer’s office, and he’s on speakerphone trying to get a date with Paula Abdul to the American Music Awards. At the same time, we’re all figuring out a new name for the group, because we couldn’t use 3 The Hard Way. That was right when we came up with the name 3rd Bass. At the end of the day, I like the name 3rd Bass. I’m glad we didn’t pick 3 Hard Dicks [laughs].

SERCH: Not too long before the album was coming out, we got a letter from Universal Films saying that we couldn’t use the name 3 The Hard Way. Pete used to record everything, secretly. He’d have a recording thing in his pocket, with a mic attached to his jacket. So Pete recorded the conversation of us going over names with Russell. We also liked 3 Blind Mice and 3 Hard Dicks. But 3rd Bass just made sense. I actually don’t think Russell and Lyor ever caught on to Pete’s secret taping. Pete recorded some very interesting conversations with Lyor, I can’t even remember what they were. The recordings were just so we could say, “We know what you promised us.” When the album came out, I think Russell thought that conversation had taken place in the studio. He didn’t figure out that it was a secret tape.

The Gas Face [Produced by Prince Paul, featuring Zev Love X of KMD]

PRINCE PAUL: The thing I remember most about that song is that I was working on the 4th of July [1989]. Everyone was having barbeques and I was in Calliope Studios doing something on “Gas Face.” That’s when I realized that holidays don’t apply to this line of work [laughs]. I originally recorded the music for that on a 4-track cassette, and what you hear on the final record is transferred from that to a 24-track board. Then we did the vocals in a proper studio, at Calliope. Serch and Pete never came to my spot to record, we were always in a studio somewhere. A lot of people are surprised when I remind them that I produced “The Gas Face.” And no one ever remembers that I did “Brooklyn-Queens” [laughs].

SERCH: I think that was the second-to-last song we recorded for the album. By the time we got to those last two songs, “The Gas Face” and “Steppin’ To The A.M.,” I definitely remember feeling more seasoned in the studio. The funny thing about the lyrics to that song was that I was totally overthinking the process. I was trying to do this connect-the-dots rhyme that was very hard to explain. It wasn’t cohesive and it didn’t sound good on the track. So I was really frustrated. I was listening to the track and that rhyme came into my head: “Black cat is bad luck / Bad guys wear black.” And the rest of that rhyme just flowed out of me. I wrote that verse in the studio. I had worked on the original rhyme for like three hours, and Pete wasn’t feeling it. But then that other rhyme just hit me, and that was it. To be honest, I did not anticipate the reaction that “The Gas Face” got. I remember being really amazed at how much club play it got, the fact that it was thought of as a dance record. That blew me away. I remember we performed in Brixton in the UK, when the Poll Tax was a big thing. And I said, “Black cat is bad luck / Bad guys wear black / Must have been the same Queen / Who set up a poll tax.” And the crowd literally started to riot when I said it. At that point, I understood the global impact it was having. That was a song by a couple of white kids, saying what other white people were scared to say. Many of our counterparts out there were so shocked at the attitude that we had towards the white community. I honestly thought that “Brooklyn-Queens” was going to be the biggest hit off the album. I thought “Steppin’” would be bigger, too, just because it was the lead single and because the beat was so crazy. Plus the Bomb Squad was so hot at the time. “The Gas Face” still gets quoted, I just heard it on ESPN the other day. The cultural significance that record has had is just crazy.

PETE: For “The Gas Face,” we wrote the lyrics to that on the LIR [Long Island Railroad], heading out to see Prince Paul. We had no idea what we were going to do for the song. Zev [Daniel Dumile, aka MF Doom] coined the phrase “Gas Face.” “Steppin’ To The A.M.” was out as a single in May of 1989, so we might have recorded “Gas Face” around that same time. That whole song came together pretty much freestyle. I think there was just something different about that record, maybe because it was Prince Paul. I didn’t know it would be a big hit, though. It was done in one session, one afternoon. All the stuff about Hammer, that was all off the top of the head, none of it was planned. We had a thing against Hammer for sure. In “The Gas Face” song we just said it [dissing him… “What do we think about Hammer?”], but with the video, we expanded on it and that just made it bigger. We didn’t care. If we didn’t like something, we would say it. Everyone was thinking it about Hammer, we just said it.

SERCH: It was simple, Pete and I both thought Hammer was wack, and we both felt that he needed to be called out for it. It wasn’t anything deeper than that. As an MC, I always followed the rule that if you’re going to dis somebody, dis them by name. That’s how I was raised in hip-hop. I didn’t really know any other way. I’m still glad we came out that way, on “The Gas Face” and also “Sons Of 3rd Bass.”

SERCH: KMD [Zev Love X and his younger brother Subroc — Subroc doesn’t rhyme on the song] was on there. I was hanging out in Long Beach for years and years, with our dancers and friends Ahmed and Otis. Doom and Subroc lived down the block. Subroc was the neighborhood barber, he cut everybody’s hair. One of their friends had a Caddy, and we would all chip in five dollars for gas money and go to Roosevelt Field Mall to check out chicks on the weekends, and try to get numbers. When a girl dissed us, Doom started saying “She just gave me the ‘Gas Face.’” Which meant that we just spent our gas money, only to get dissed. The “Gas Face” was when girls would suck their teeth and just walk away. We’d be like, “I could have used that five dollars to buy a hero!” So of course Doom had to be on the record, it was his phrase. They would go on tour with us and then KMD became the first group that we executive produced.

PETE: For the video, I remember we really wanted to get Gilbert Gottfried, and we showed up at the Def Jam offices and he’s there, just lookin’ at us. He didn’t want to say anything, he was so timid. And he was dressed straight out of the ‘70s. We were kinda scared, we didn’t know if he could do it. Then the camera starts rolling and he turns it on and starts going berserk. Bobbito Garcia and Steve Carr, who is a big director now, are the MCs going to sign the contract in the video.

SERCH: We loved working with Lionel Martin, the Vid Kid. He was always able to see our vision and make it happen. He did all the videos on the first album because he’s the only director we wanted to work with. I can’t even say who has my favorite cameo in that video. It’s not even fair. I think that everybody who showed up made it into the video. I love Jam Master Jay smacking the hammer down. Erick Sermon doing the “Gas Face.” All of that was so awesome. Even my man Shake was there, he was a great dancer from around the way. He opened his mouth really wide, like the Predator. It was huge that the whole community came out to support us. I think we only paid Gilbert Gottfried $500 to be in there.

Monte Hall

SERCH: That’s one of my personal favorites, maybe my number one favorite. I would have loved to have seen that as a single. I just think that record is soooo dope. I wrote that about meeting my future wife in a club, so it has extra meaning to me. And I think Pete did a great job with his lyrics, even if he wasn’t in the same space as I was, mentally. That’s a slept-on song, it could have been a huge single. With the reggae stuff going on back then and all the slower-tempo records, it was a great fit.

PETE: Serch definitely wanted a track like that, he was definitely the genesis for that one, lyrically. I had the music for a while and we didn’t know what to do with it. Serch had a lot of great ideas but there was never anything in the middle: it was either great or the worst idea you’ve ever heard in your life. I think it went through a couple bad ideas before we got to that version. I looped it up with Sam.

Oval Office [Produced by The Bomb Squad]

PETE: We definitely learned some things watching the Bomb Squad work. They were so talented, the way they manipulated samples and horns, like they did on “Oval Office.”

SERCH: Working with the Bomb Squad was definitely different. It was a three-headed monster. You’d be in the studio with Eric [“Vietnam” Sadler] and Keith Shocklee, that’s who I spent most of my time with. Eric was the musician type, Keith was there to make sure the lyrics were right. Both of them were on the boards. [Group leader] Hank [Shocklee] would come in during mixing, he’d make sure it was cool, and then he’d leave. He’d nod his head, tinker with something, and leave. I definitely disliked that process and thought that Hank should have been in the studio more. Overall, though, it was cool. I just didn’t know how much Keith and Eric did before we started working with them. I love that song, although if it hadn’t have made the album I wouldn’t have been hugely upset. I mean, it’s just us acting goofy, throwing out double-entendres for the sake of being witty.

Hoods

PETE: That was also from “The Little Rascals,” when the kids are left alone in the house. One of the kids turns on the radio and you hear that scene.

Soul In The Hole

SERCH: I had that song from a while back, it was originally called “Bouncy Bass.” I worked on it with Sam. Pete brought the basketball aspect into it. That changed it a lot, and made it that much better. I definitely like the final version best. The original was a really rough demo, nothing serious.

PETE: “Bouncy Bass” was a cool song, but we wanted to do a basketball-themed song. “Soul In The Hole” definitely had more of a solo feel to it, I guess because it started out that way, with Serch.

Triple Stage Darkness

PETE: That almost has a Bomb Squad feel to it, even though they weren’t involved. “Follow The Leader” [by Eric B. & Rakim] was an inspiration as well. Danceable but chaotic. The sax solo on there was a BT Express song. We did a partial video for that song. I like our lesser-known videos, including that one.

SERCH: That’s one of my favorite songs on the album. I love what Sam did with it. The lyrics are dope, too.

DJ RICHIE RICH: I’m pretty sure that DJ Nite did the cuts on that song.

M.C. Disagree

PETE: That was a recording of our boy Dan, he was childhood friends with Ad Rock from the Beastie Boys. That’s a real message from him, on my answering machine. He went to a club and couldn’t find anyone because he was so drunk. That was pretty funny.

Wordz Of Wizdom

SERCH: That was on our first demo that we shopped. We were still called 3 The Hard Way at the time. That took us like three months to record, I re-did my vocals like 20 times. That’s probably my second favorite track on the album. I love that one. I re-did my lyrics so many times because Pete’s verse was so dope, I didn’t feel like mine matched up. I knew I had to come with something dope. I was fighting my flow, fighting with my verse. After I was working on it for like seven hours, Sam finally said, “You’re not going to get it any better.” And I was like, “Ahhhhh.” I was so mad. But he was right. That song would have been my choice for the first single. In retrospect, I still have no problem with “Steppin’” being first.

PETE: That’s one of my favorite songs. We really wanted that to be the first single, and Russell wanted “Steppin’ To The A.M.” The first verse from the original version of that was pretty much the same as the final. And I think I added my second verse. The original music sampled Depeche Mode [Author’s note: similar to the “(II)” version, included as a bonus on the CD]. When we did the video for that, we had my throne that we debuted in “The Gas Face” again. The concept was just to have the chair everywhere.

Product Of The Environment

PETE: That was a pretty serious song, Serch had that from way back. That and “Wordz Of Wisdom” are my two favorites, just because they go so far back, they were from beginning to end. The music changed from the original to final, but his lyrics were pretty close, if not exact. And I added mine in. When it came to subject matter on the album, I think we were pretty well-rounded. In the press we had a lot of serious articles done on us, so people didn’t see us as goofballs or anything. Marley [Marl] remixed “Product,” it was our fourth single. He changed it all around, his is the version we’d perform live. So it had a second life that way. I like the Marley remix better than the original. We performed that version on the TV show “In Living Color.” Marley’s version was more geared towards live performance. Lionel Martin did the video for that single, too, of course.

SERCH: That was an older one, from me and Sam. The lyrics on there are just my story, how a white kid from Far Rockaway got into hip-hop. That was our fourth single, which was a lot of singles for sure. But it was really a request from DJs and mixers around the country. People loved that song when we were touring, so we put out the single and a video, to extend the album promotion. Pete basically gave Marley the sample that was used on the remix, and Marley freaked it. Marley didn’t want a lot of people to know that, so we let him get the credit, but it was Pete’s sample. We went to see Marley up at WBLS and he said that “Product” was one of his favorite tracks and he wanted to do a remix. We set up a session a week later, Marley flipped it with his horns and the beat. So we went to Russell and said we wanted to do it as a single. I like the remix version better. The original is dope, but the remix is just fire.

RICH: I wanted us to remix a song off the original album, and Marley was playing us beats in the studio. But I felt that he wasn’t diggin’ in the crates as much as he could have been. So I kept pushing him, and he got to that beat [used on the remix]. He had been holding back because I’m sure he wanted to use it for someone else. So we took that one and the horns from the original, and the rest is history. The energy on that remix was amazing, it’s bad-ass from the bottom to the top. That remix and “No Static At All” [from 1991’s Derelicts of Dialect] are my two favorite 3rd Bass songs.

The Cactus

PETE: That’s a Doors sample, we didn’t replay anything. I’m a big Doors fan, so that was my shit. Things just came together in the studio. Sam picked up on it and we just went with it. Then that also became the theme of the album, which was totally unplanned. I can’t even remember how we decided to call it The Cactus Album. I remember having to explain to my mother what “The Cactus” was. That was interesting.

SERCH: There was a lot of drama that resulted from that song, with MC Hammer. The hit [death threat] that Hammer’s brother [Louis Burrell] put out on us was a real concern when we went out there [to LA]. We were in physical danger.

PETE: I’m actually the one who said the line about Hammer in the song [“The Cactus turned Hammer’s mother out”], but Serch took the brunt of it, when Hammer’s brother [allegedly] called up Def Jam. Supposedly he made all kinds of threats, and next thing we’re in LA and Russell told us that Hammer put out the hit.

SERCH: We heard about the threat when we landed in LA, and we were rushed out of the hotel and told to keep our heads down. We thought we were as big as the Beatles, before we found out why they were doing that. They locked down the whole hotel floor, because of a legitimate hit that the Crips had put out on us. Uncle Mel was our security guard at the time, but Mike Concepcion, who was the leader of the Crips, brought in this guy Pookie to roll with us. He was a lieutenant who was well-known throughout California. So if anyone tried to do anything, Pookie would be like, “It’s off.” We were out there for like four days, and we had a thing at KDAY where we were interviewed and they had Hammer call in. That was on the second day. I was beyond pissed at [KDAY DJ and Music Director] Greg Mack about that, I told him to go fuck himself. But I couldn’t knock it, it was great radio. I turned it around on Greg and said, “Why don’t you ask people out there who is doper, 3rd Bass or Hammer?” And it was overwhelming for 3rd Bass when people called in. But he edited it so that it was even. I called Greg out on the air, saying that Hammer was his boy. Then he took a live call on the air from some Crips, who were like, “Yo, we’re coming to kill you.” At that point, we were outta there. KDAY was on a dirt hill, and there was only one way up. So after that call on the air, we were in our van on the way down, and there was a low-rider at the bottom of the hill. Guys came out with sawed-off shotguns and AKs and Pookie had to get out and wave his sign, telling them it was off. Then those guys drove away. So, it was real. We had to sneak into our own album party, as security. All our shows were cancelled except one at the Palace, our album release party. Once I saw Eazy-E, Dr. Dre and N.W.A. there, though, I felt better. To call the hit off, I think that Russell had to give Mike Concepcion two tickets to the American Music Awards, sitting next to Michael Jackson. If you look at the tape of the Awards, you’ll see a guy in a wheelchair sitting next to Michael. The president of Columbia Records had to give up his tickets for that.

PETE: I remember going to KDAY in the morning and they were looking for snipers up in the hills. We were on the air with Greg Mack and he blindsided us and put Hammer on the air with us, live. I have a tape of it somewhere. We argued a bit, we were pretty displeased that Greg Mack did that. We had other shit like that. Once, in Maryland we had to be escorted by State Police because it was rumored that there was an initiation for a local gang to kill one of the members of 3rd Bass. So we had escorts at the venue and then to the state line. That was before the Hammer stuff in LA. The guy in LA who was the godfather of the gangs out there was Mike Concepcion. We had to meet with him, Russell interceded to squash the whole thing. It wasn’t a joke, it was real. And the Hammer thing is just one line in the song! It was crazy.

RICH: That shit in LA was definitely real! But I was 19 or 20 at the time. I had a knife with me and I thought I was OK. Right now, if I had to go through the same thing I’d probably be worried. But at 19, I wasn’t scared. I thought I could beat up 10 people in a bar fight [laughs].

Flippin’ Off The Wall Like Lucy Ball

PETE: That was a Tom Waits sample [“Way Down In The Hole”]. I looped it up with Sam and was thinking about running it in one of the other songs. We were just playing it and Serch heard it and wanted to mess with it. He just started going nuts and we just pieced it into the song. It was hysterical. He was completely sober when he did it. The group of people we had in the studio was dope, we had so much goofy shit, so many inside jokes. That wasn’t something we were planning to include on the album, but after we did it, we had to. After all that, we ended up getting sued by Tom Waits.

SERCH: I wasn’t drunk for that, I swear. I wasn’t under the influence of anything at the time. We were in-between recordings and [engineer] Kevin Reynolds and I were just bugging out in the studio. Sam had this Tom Waits sample and he was playing with it, and I said, “That sounds like some country bumpkin’ shit!” and I started doing that voice. Everybody was laughing so I was like, “Yo, let’s record it and see what comes out of it.” It was pretty much one take, there might be one edit in there that we did on purpose. There was no debate about putting it on the album, but later on we found out through his attorney that Tom Waits thought we were insulting him with my vocals. So he sued us, and won. I didn’t know anything about Tom Waits at the time, I was just doing that voice. I thought we had cleared that sample, but obviously we hadn’t.

Brooklyn-Queens [Produced by Prince Paul]

PETE: That was the other Prince Paul production on the record. The theme of the song is something I had with Blake [Lethem, aka Lord Scotch]. The old version was what we were going to record and put out with Richlen [Productions] back in 1987, before Blake disappeared. We even did a demo of it at Funky Slice, on some programmed beats. I remember Paul gave us a cassette with eight tracks on it and we picked out the music for “The Gas Face” and “Brooklyn-Queens.” Blake had disappeared, so we just did it [as 3rd Bass]. I heard that Blake saw the video for that song when he was at Riker’s Island, I’m not sure why he was in there. We hadn’t even developed that song too far with Blake, it’s not like Serch was saying Blake’s lines or anything. We recorded “Brooklyn-Queens” and “The Gas Face” within a week of each other, in 1989. It might have even been the same day. That was a cool video, the ideas for videos were always ours. One of the Hasidic guys in the video was this guy MC Reanimator. He went to grammar school with Blake. It was cool to throw the Jackie Robinson quotes in the video, too.

RICH: That was the title of a song that me and Pete had worked on at Funky Slice in 1987. I don’t think Blake was on the version I’m talking about. It was only a demo.

SERCH: I had liked that song we sampled on there [“Best Of My Love” by The Emotions] for a while. Then Pete started talking about “Brooklyn Queens” and I said, “Aw, that is so dope!” It was just such a great play on words. And we just built it from there. There’s not much of a story behind it, except that it was one of the fastest songs we actually recorded. It was a different Paul session than “The Gas Face,” I think we did it at Greene Street Studios. “The Gas Face” was at the place Paul used in Long Island [Island Media Studios]. By the time that single was out [in 1990], we were poppin’, we already had two popular singles on the street. So we had a whole different swagger when we did that video.

Steppin’ To The A.M. [Produced by The Bomb Squad]

SERCH: That was the very last song we recorded for the album. I had originally written my verses on that song for Rakim. I guess Rakim and Eric B. had gotten into a slump on their second album and Lyor asked if I would write a song for Rakim. So that song was written with him in mind. It wasn’t really that daunting, I just saw it as an opportunity to write for one of the greatest MCs of all time, even if what I was writing was only going to maybe be inspiration for him. So, Lyor set up a conference call with me, Pete and Eric B. I started rhyming the song and Eric B. hangs up the phone and calls Lyor directly, and starts flipping out on him. Lyor was heated and he comes downstairs and asked why I didn’t tell him that I had beef with Eric B.! And I said I didn’t. I think Eric just couldn’t believe I would have the audacity to write for Rakim. Eric hadn’t asked for me to do it, it had been Lyor’s idea. It took about two months for that single to break out, which seemed like an eternity to us. At the time, Def Jam was starting to give up on the group and they thought maybe we could make something happen in Europe. There was more excitement about us over there. So, in the U.S. they hadn’t released the single yet. We were over there in Europe when we got a fax saying we had done 25,000 units our first week. When we got back to the U.S., I was in a limo and they put on Kiss 98.7 FM and they introduced the song as the hottest record in New York. It was on and poppin’ after that. I attribute the single’s success to Wes Johnson and the promo staff at Def Jam, they didn’t give up on the record. Bobbito supported it, he was our boy. I think if we were just another act, we would have had our two month cycle and then Def Jam would have been on to the next. But people at the label genuinely loved us. We realized that we had sampled the Beastie Boys on there [saying “What’s the time?”], but we didn’t care. It’s a great sample, it works perfectly.

RICH: That song was always tough for me to DJ live, because Serch would bust out dancing and the whole stage would be shaking. It got to the point where I would have to pick up my turntable when he was about to do the Roger Rabbit, or it would skip all over the place. With that song and “The Gas Face,” Serch would get down.

PETE: That single came out in May 1989 and we got played on mix-shows, because we knew everyone. But it wasn’t in any kind of regular rotation yet. I think the video budget for that song was $20,000 or $25,000. We hired Lionel Martin, The Vid Kid, who was part of Video Music Box. That was a big thing. We originally wanted Lionel because he did “Night Of The Living Baseheads” for Public Enemy, and he did editing stuff with stopping and starting and interludes. At that time, videos were still kinda new to hip-hop, they weren’t central to everything. Once the video hit on Video Music Box, sales definitely went nuts. We had released the 12-inch and it was doing all right. We opened for De La Soul in Manchester or Brixton in England, and it was cool. But that’s when the video came out, and then the numbers started blowing up. Daddy Rich became our main DJ but for the video, DJ Nite is in there. We didn’t really know that was going to be a single when it was recorded, but Russell paid the money to bring in The Bomb Squad, so it all fell into place. He really wanted them. We couldn’t do more than two songs with The Bomb Squad because we couldn’t afford it! But working with The Bomb Squad also meant that Def Jam was willing to put money into us, because Hank Shocklee wasn’t free at the time. Even though they produced it, some of the musical ideas were ours. I brought the time sounds. Keith [Shocklee] found the horns. That song was pretty outlandish, all the sounds and everything. I originally envisioned them giving us a harder song, but it was great. We sampled the Beastie Boys on there [MCA saying “What’s the time?”]. Keith threw that in. Def Jam owned the masters, so it was easy to clear. It never came up [that they dissed the Beasties on “Sons Of 3rd Bass” and also sampled them on the same album], which is surprising, now that you mention it.

Who’s On Third

PETE: Daddy Rich did the cuts on that one, definitely. That was just a beat we put together.

Wordz Of Wizdom (II) [CD only]

PETE: That was my original music for that song, but the extra breakdowns on that version were added. My original was just in demo form, with the Depeche Mode sample. But we went a little nuts on all the extra stuff, the drops and everything. We still liked that old version but obviously we liked the new one [which is further up in the album sequence] more. The “II” version was only on the CD, not the LP or cassette.

SERCH: That was just a hidden treat that we wanted to give the fans.
Pre-orders through July 25 get the following:

- Autographed copy of “Check the Technique Volume 2” book
- Book arrival to pre-sale participants several weeks ahead of any retail availability (September 2014)
- Exclusive Smif-N-Wessun “Home Sweet Home” big-hole 7-inch, with color picture sleeve and instrumental on b-side. This 7-inch will never be available for retail purchase, it can only be obtained via this pre-sale.
- $29.98 plus postage / handling

http://www.getondown.com/product/item.php?id=17495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: Check the Technique: Vol. 2 (October 2014)

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

1st chapter is a dope teaser. did he actually get doom to talk about black bastards? i notice there's no comment from him about gas face.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

still lollin' at "three hard dicks"
1. Nas
2. Drake

Dan

Post by Dan »

Another chapter has been released.
Masta Ace Incorporated
SlaughtaHouse
(1993, Delicious Vinyl / Atlantic)

Brooklyn’s Masta Ace [Duval Clear, aka Ase, aka Ase One] first became a hip-hip household name in 1988, thanks to the Marley Marl-produced posse masterpiece “The Symphony” [Cold Chillin’ Records]. He then co-produced and controlled the mic on his debut, 1990’s highly under-rated Take A Look Around [Cold Chillin’ / Reprise].

But by late 1991, things weren’t as rosy for the MC, through no lack of talent and through no fault of his own.

The harsh realities of the music industry hit him one day, out of the blue. “I was recording my second album for Cold Chillin’, with about 10 tracks done,” he recalls today. “And Warner Bros. [who distributed Cold Chillin’] handed down the law that a certain number of artists had to be dropped because the label had too many artists that weren’t meeting their sales quotas. They drew a line. If you were above the line, you stayed. If you were below the line, you had to figure out something else for yourself. My name was just below that line. They showed me the list.”

“After that, I had to start completely from scratch,” he continues. No small task. But Ace wasn’t the giving-up type. Plus, he had already been standing on his own two feet in the recording studio for years. Nevertheless, it was a daunting task and a completely new journey for the MC. It would take more than a year, and a bi-coastal partnership, to complete it.

Ace was born and raised in Brownsville, Brooklyn. Like many New Yorkers, hip-hop wasn’t ever far away in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s. He remembers, “Nobody in my neighborhood was making records or was well-known in hip-hop in the late ‘70s, but there was lots of cats who DJed and rapped. Those cats were my early influences, I would watch them do their thing in the park. DJ Pistol Pete was from the Langston Hughes Houses and DJ AZ was from my projects. Charlie Wop, a rapper, was in my building.”

Ace was drawn to the mic from those experiences, and throughout the 1980s he continued to perfect his craft. He eventually met “super producer” Marley Marl after winning a rap contest at Queens’ United Skates of America. As Marley explained in the book Rakim Told Me, “The grand prize was to go into the studio with me. I liked Ace’s style, so I kept him with me after the demo.”

Marley then gave Ace a coveted place on a posse cut that would go on to become legendary: “The Symphony.” On it, he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with top-tier MCs including Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane and Craig G. At age 22, it was his first appearance on wax, and his famous turn did not go unnoticed by fans. Ace also got a solo shot on Marley Marl’s 1988 album In Control Volume 1 [Cold Chillin’], with the song “Keep Your Eye On The Prize”; and a 1989 Marley-produced single on Prism, “Together / Letter To The Better” [as Ace & Actionᶾ].

“Everything happened so fast for me in ‘88,” Ace recalls. “MC Shan was the man at that time, and Kane and Biz were on the cusp of super-stardom. Eric B. & Rakim was hittin’, and they was so ill. The pop audience for hip-hop wasn’t even on-board yet, the kids in the suburbs weren’t there. If you didn’t have skills then you weren’t being checked for. 1988 was such a crucial year, and I was just glad to be in the mix.”

The Juice Crew was on fire at the time and Ace patiently waited his turn for a full-length. By 1990, he had his wish. Take A Look Around was everything that fans of Ace and the Juice Crew could want. Intelligent rhymes, funky beats, and a mix of fun – for example, the hit single “Me And The Biz” – with depth, positivity and soul-searching [“Take A Look Around”]. As Ace wrote in the album’s liner notes: “The title track is a message to all ghetto dwellers who may not realize the clock is ticking.”

When it came to working with the legendary Marley Marl in the studio, Ace has nothing but good things to say. “Overall, I learned a lot. He never did anything detrimental to me,” Ace explains. “He was the cat that was on, so it was always a given that he’d make the most money on any deals that were done. I got co-production credit on the first album, but not co-production money. Almost every beat on Take A Look Around was from my mother’s records, I would bring them over to Marley’s house. He would put his twist on it, he would throw on a drum track, chop it up and make it sound extra.”

Ace’s only quip with Take A Look Around was the “Me And The Biz” single. He sighs, “I didn’t want that as a single at all, especially not as the first single. But Warner Bros. wanted to go the gimmick route. Benny Medina [the album’s Executive Producer] really wanted it. I dealt with some backlash after that, mostly puppet jokes [Author’s note: A reference to the single’s cover, plus the video, which featured a fake Biz Markie doll].”

Considering where Ace was at, post-album-release, it’s obvious why the pink-slip news in late 1991 would have hit him so hard. After several years of praise, solid record sales, and next-level rhymes and music, Ace was all of a sudden a dope MC without a contract. “Cold Chillin’ said they’d put out my album on Prism [a singles-only off-shoot of Cold Chillin’], but I wasn’t feeling that idea,” he says. “Everybody else on the label was managed by Superstar Management, which was basically Cold Chillin’, but I had my own. So my manager did her thing to get me out of the deal. Unfortunately, Cold Chillin’ owned the songs I had recorded already [for the next album].”

Despite his bad run of luck, Ace did have a couple things going for him: a mind full of ideas; a strong will to succeed; and a lawyer in LA who wasted no time making calls. Soon after the outreach began, Delicious Vinyl – a heavily West Coast label, boasting acts including Tone Loc, Young MC and the Pharcyde – expressed interest. Their first step was to include him on their upcoming, Brand New Heavies-backed Heavy Rhyme Experience Vol. 1 album [1992], with the track “Wake Me When I’m Dead.”

“That was the testing ground for me,” Ace says. “They liked it and I had a deal from there.”

Back on track and – for better or worse – putting his previously-recorded songs behind him, he began work in Brooklyn with his newly-assembled Masta Ace Incorporated. The crew featured brothers Uneek [Shawn McFadden] and Eyce [Courtney McFadden] – producers and MCs who were together known as Eyceurokk, or Ice U Rock – as well as Lord Digga and Paula Perry. Latief and Witchdoc rounded out the production team.

Ace wanted a crew for a reason: “At that time, groups were selling way more than solo artists. The best way to appeal to an audience was to have a lot of characters with me. If a fan didn’t like me, maybe they’d like somebody else in the crew.”

“Digga and Eyce went to high school with me at Sheepshead Bay High, although I was older than them,” Ace explains. “Uneek was the youngest, he was in junior high when I was in high school. Eyce and Uneek always rhymed, Digga didn’t rhyme at all back then. He was just a cat who wanted to be around the scene and get down with music in some way or another. He was funny, so we liked having him in the mix.”

He explains that his production relationship with Uneek actually went back to his first album: “He produced and rhymed on ‘As I Reminisce’ [Author’s note: The credits on ‘As I Reminisce’ read ‘Concept and Performance’ by Ice U Rock]. They gave the co-production credit to Mister Cee because Marley didn’t want to have a no-name cat with production credit.” And, Ace adds, “Going back beyond that, I probably met Uneek in ‘82 or ‘83. His oldest brother and me are the same age. Uneek had a cheap little 4-track at his house and I’d go over there. He’d have these raw beats, making at least one a day.”

SlaughtaHouse was the only Delicious Vinyl album recorded outside of Los Angeles during that era, and a very New York-tinged album to boot. But geography wasn’t a concern to Ace either way. “I was just happy to have a deal,” he admits. “I wasn’t thinking about anything in terms of coasts. That East Coast / West Coast thing hadn’t even really come about yet.”

Did it worry him that after his Cold Chillin’ affiliation, he was now working with relative no-names? “It didn’t matter that people didn’t know Masta Ace Incorporated,” he says. “In ’93, most people didn’t have cats in their crew who were known, so it wasn’t a big deal.”

SlaughtaHouse was recorded at Firehouse Studios in Brooklyn – run by Shlomo Sonnenfeld and Yoram Vazan – where Gang Starr, the Audio Two, MC Lyte and the Wu-Tang Clan recorded in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s. And although he had help with production, it was still clear who was the leader. “It was a crew, but I was the director,” he says. “I knew what I wanted on the album. I left those 10 tracks I had done for Cold Chillin’ and started brand new. I had gotten new energy from records that had come out between those older tracks and when we started recording my next record. Redman, Cypress Hill and DAS EFX had a big influence on me back then.”

Backed by thumping, sometimes jazzy and generally dark beats – a definite departure from his previous work on Cold Chillin’ – Ace vented about a lot of things on SlaughtaHouse, especially his disdain for wannabe gangsta rappers. “Part of what I was doing with the album was attacking all the N.W.A. copycat dudes,” he says. “I just thought that was all way overdone.”

But he wasn’t only mad at fake gangstas. “I was a lot angrier overall when I recorded SlaughtaHouse,” he says, openly. “I was really upset with the way the Cold Chillin’ thing went down and I channeled that anger into the album. I was just mad at everybody.”

Many times, as on the album’s title track and “Boom Bashin’,” Ace walked a thin line with his verbal attacks, with overly realistic parodies of derivative MCs. In fact, it could be argued that some of the satirical work on SlaughtaHouse was walking the exact same lines as the uber-witty Gravediggaz [overseen by producer Prince Paul, with RZA, Frukwan and Poetic], who would debut a year later, in 1994 [Niggamortis / 6 Feet Deep, Gee Street / Island].

“The jokes on the album went over a lot of peoples’ heads,” he admits, adding, “And the album was too dark for a lot of people. You have to remember that The Chronic dropped around the same time. That album was clear and crisp, and the most amazingly-mixed album ever. And then here’s my shit – sounding dark, dirty, grungy and just gutter. So you was with one or the other. And most of the people in the world jumped on the whole Dre sound.”

There was also an excellent smattering of boom-bap, party-moving jams, like the hit “Jeep Ass Niguh”; the jazzy “Mad Wunz”; and the excellent posse cut “Saturday Nite Live.” Once the album was out, he toured with Mic Geronimo, Tha Alkaholiks and The Pharcyde. “Mostly just spot dates,” he says. But he had survived and re-invented himself, without missing a beat, which was a triumph in itself.

The album had a wide range, but was stronger because of all the bases that were covered, and iced by the fact that Ace’s lyricism – whether telling stories, schooling fakers or philosophizing about the woes in his urban environment – never faltered. He explains, “I was saying, ‘This is how it is, but it shouldn’t be this way.’” And as dark as the content could be at times, he says, “It was fun recording that record. And when it hit, I got respect from both coasts. So I was nothing but glad.”

TRACKS

A Walk Thru The Valley

My plan was to do a poem on each album. That was my second one, and the intro to the record. I wanted to set the tone with the gunshots, and paint a picture of the neighborhood. I was going a step further than a group like N.W.A, saying it shouldn’t be like it is. In the poem, I actually name several of the song titles from Take A Look Around. Not every song, but quite a few. At the end, with that classroom scene, that was actually Uneek as the teacher, and it was an actual class of his that he was talking to [Author’s note: Ace says that Eyce and Uneek both became teachers after the album was released]. A summer school class or something like that. I would love to be reunited with some of those kids today.

Slaughtahouse [“Starring MC Negro & The Ignorant MC”]

That was the second single. Uneek produced that one and he was also MC Negro on the song. After that came out, I was doing shows in the Midwest, and there’s the portion of that song where MC Negro comes on, before I come in. On the single, him and The Ignorant MC have their own three-minute song [“Murder Mix”], and I have extended rhymes on the single, too [“Death Mix”]. People out there thought that their part [“Murder Mix”] was a real group and a full single. People had their rap on some kind of countdown in St. Louis. I went to a car show in St. Louis and there was a wet t-shirt contest and they was playing that record for it. It’s like a Weird Al Yankovic parody and the people in the crowd at the show have got their hands in the air, saying “Murda murda murda, kill kill kill.” With the humor in that type of song I was definitely walking a thin line. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I heard that the Westside Connection [group] was created because of the SlaughtaHouse album. The whole purpose of their group was to defend West Coast gangsta rap. Somebody told me it was said.

Late Model Sedan

I love that track, the beat especially. Latief did that one. He should be famous right now. The rhyme on that was actually based on a flow that Ice Cube did on one of his albums. “Ghetto Bird,” I think. After that song and “Jeep Ass Niguh,” the album definitely started getting darker.

Jeep Ass Niguh

That was the lead-off single for the record. It was a double A-side, with “Saturday Nite Live.” We did videos for both songs. When I perform that today, people just start jumping around. It never blew up like it could now, but it was a good underground, hip-hop purist record. Cars were just something that I was into. I had recently bought my first Jeep, when my first album came out, and I just kept buying tons of car magazines and was figuring out how to hook the thing up with a giant sound system. Driving around Brooklyn just became part of what I did. Not too many people were making songs about cars on either coast. “Jeep Ass” was definitely one of the first.

The Big East

That’s one of my favorite cuts on the album. The Beatheads produced that. They was some cats from Connecticut. I didn’t really know them, but they reached out to me and I really liked the music they played for me. I was really into slow, funky tracks. That’s my A & R guy, Orlando [Arguillen] who says, “Don’t even think about trippin’” on there.

Jack B. Nimble

Before I was anything else, I was a storytelling rapper, that’s how I got on in the first place. Like “La Di Da Di” type of joints. When I won the contract to work with Marley Marl at a contest, it was with a story rap. It was a fun way to paint a picture. When Uneek gave me that beat, the story just came to me. His beat is a chop of the original “Symphony” beat, a small tiny piece he looped up. Those lyrics were originally recorded over a different beat for my second Cold Chillin’ album, the one I started but never came out.

Mad Wunz

That’s another one of my favorite tracks. That probably should have been a single. I perform that song now and people wild out. I remember Jon Shecter [co-founder of The Source] told me one time that if that song would have been released as a single, my whole career would have been different. That was the song that was getting all the spins when the album came out. It was more of a joint rather than making any kind of statement. At the time, I was trying to be more artistic and creative, but that was just a cool track.

Style Wars

I produced that one myself. It was a chopped up B.B. King thing. A remix of that was on the flip of the “Slaughtahouse” single. I called it “Style Wars” because I was really influenced by that graffiti documentary [with the same title, from 1983, directed by Tony Silver]. It made sense as a title because rap is about style too, and about MCs battling with rhyming. I didn’t write [graffiti] a lot back in the day but I definitely started bombing again when the album came out. I wrote “Ase.”

Who U Jackin’?

That’s a thing with me and Paula Perry. I met her through Uneek. She’s from Fort Greene [Brooklyn]. Uneek and Eyce were recording demos with her. I heard them and definitely wanted a female to be on the record, and this was kind of her introduction. She played more of a role later on. There’s nothing too involved about the concept on that track [about a guy trying to stick up a woman and her talking back to him], I just thought it was a funny idea. It was too easy to do a love rap kind of thing, so I made it about a stick-up.

Rollin’ Wit Umdadda

That’s one song that I listen to now and I wince a little bit. I don’t like the way I sound on it, or the way the beat came out. There was a different beat on there originally and I think I started to over-think it. I produced that one, too. A lot of people still don’t know that I produce, even to this day. The title of that song is really stupid, too. Back then we were trying to make up different slang, and it was like, “Yo, I was rolling with like umdadda niggas” [meaning: a lot]. It became a song title because guys started saying it all the time. The end of the song, when we’re stepping on stage at the club, sounds live, but we did that in the studio.

Ain’t U Da Masta

Lyrically, that’s one of my favorites. With that one I was going at the press a little bit, because it had been a minute since I put the last album out, and I felt like people were counting me out of the game. I kind of felt like the press was going to dis the record, so I was giving them permission ahead of time.

Crazy Drunken Style

That’s one of my favorite beats on the album. Lord Digga’s on there. He wasn’t really so scary, but he was good at acting rough. He’s a nice dude, really.

Don’t Fuck Around (Outro)

That wasn’t Paula Perry singing, that was some chick that Eyce and them knew. I wasn’t very experienced with what good singing was, and I kind of wince when I hear that one. I didn’t want it to be taken seriously anyways.

Saturday Nite Live

That was a single with “Jeep Ass Niguh,” a double A-Side. Our whole crew was in that video, everybody we grew up with. That was fun. We all had baseball bats and big sticks, being real rugged. That was the whole Naughty By Nature influence. We were in an abandoned building and a highlight was that a famous graffiti writer, Cope 2, was in it. I had never met him, but he was famous to me. He came to the set and did a couple throw-ups, and one of them is in the video. That set was pretty ill, too. One time the cameraman stepped into a hole and fell. One leg went into the hole and he got pretty hurt, but he kept filming. The abandoned building on the cover is the same one where we shot the video. It’s in Crown Heights and it’s all re-done and condos now. I put that song last on the album because it starts with such a great mood and because I also wanted the album to end on an “up” note. Lord Digga wasn’t supposed to be on that [as an MC] at first. At the time, early in the album, he wasn’t writing good quality stuff yet, lyrically. He was just starting to rhyme back then. We all did our verses and he was sitting there with a sad face. Up until that time he tried, but we’d never put him on. But on that one he got it together and we all agreed it was dope.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

May cop for chapter on "Steal This Album"

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:rofl: @ the idea of Serch writing a song for Rakim.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

the gravediggaz chapter was also released a while back on ego trip's website

Dan

Post by Dan »

ackbar wrote:the gravediggaz chapter was also released a while back on ego trip's website
Thanks, somehow I missed that one.
The following is a segment from the new book, Check the Technique Volume 2: More Liner Notes for Hip-Hop Junkies, a follow-up to the critically acclaimed 2007 book by Brian Coleman, which will be released in October. (Pre-order now over at Get On Down. UK/Europe pre-sale link: http://www.RapAndSoulMailOrder.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
ego trip has been given permission by the author to run this excerpt for a limited time. As you’re about to read, the supergroup known as the Gravediggaz had a harder time getting off the ground than you would imagine considering the veteran roster: Prince Paul, RZA, Frukwan of Stetsasonic, and Poetic (R.I.P.). Their incredible first album, now 20 years old and originally titled Niggamortis but changed to the more “friendly” 6 Feet Deep, was an explosion of ideas that made you think, laugh, and bang your head against the nearest wall because the music was so insanely good. Read on to see how the unit formed and all the obstacles they faced in this exclusive feature.

Gravediggaz — Niggamortis (aka 6 Feet Deep)
(Gee Street / Island, 1994)

“A lot of people still talk to me about that record today, they still have me autograph it and they say how much they love it. I guess it just took a long time for people to fully appreciate it. But I’m like, ‘Wow, where were y’all in 1994 when I was in tears, trying to figure out why people hated me?’”
– Prince Paul

Looking at it with more than two decades of hindsight, it might seem like the Gravediggaz would have been jocked unanimously when the group’s demo was circulated to industry A & Rs. Just check it out on paper: produced by legendary super-producer and imagineer Prince Paul [Huston], it created its own genre – “Horrorcore” – and featured rhymes by a trio consisting of The RZA [Robert Diggs]; Poetic [Anthony Berkeley, who passed away in 2001]; and Stetsasonic heavyweight MC Frukwan [Arnold Hamilton, aka Fruitkwan].

But it wasn’t that way at all. In fact, when Paul first got his graveyard quartet together, it was the exact opposite. “We were a bunch of misfits,” he says today. “It was a time when I felt like I had to prove myself, and I felt like I had to help the other guys prove themselves. People thought I had fallen off, they were on to the new, hot guys like Pete Rock. I had lost some footing in peoples’ eyes. And I was like ‘Yo, I’ll show them!’”

The first spark for the Gravediggaz began in early 1992, after Paul’s Dew Doo Man Records label – a deal with Rush Associated Labels and their parent company at the time, Columbia – was deaded before it really had a chance to have any impact. That death included a shelved album by the group Resident Alien.

Beyond Dew Doo Man, the luster for De La Soul’s daisy age – which Paul helped usher into the world, on 1989’s 3 Feet High And Rising [Tommy Boy] – had, sadly, lost some shine in the public’s eye. At least as far as record sales went. And either way, Paul over the years had been slowly pulling away from his production work with De La, so that they were less tied to each other in fans’ eyes.

So, the producer started making tracks. Not for a specific project, but, “Because that’s just what I do.” He recalls, “I was feeling all sorry for myself and so I was just making these sad, slow, hardcore tracks. I was in a dark, angry mood.” He adds, stating the obvious: “I knew I couldn’t MC, so I needed to find some guys. That’s when I gave everybody a call and got them together.”

Much like an army commander calling his troops to active duty, Paul set about assembling a team.

His Long Island compatriot Poetic was first, since Paul had been talking to him recently, hoping to sign him to Dew Doo Man [in a duo called The Brothers Grimm, with Poetic’s brother Brainstorm]. Before the possibility of a Dew Doo Man deal, Poetic had been dropped from Tommy Boy Records after putting out the excellent 1989 single “Poetical Terror” [as Too Poetic] and recording an album for the label that never saw the light of day.

“I heard through the grapevine that Poetic was pretty much homeless at the time, so it wasn’t even easy to find him,” Paul recalls. “I always felt he was extremely underrated, and I knew he wanted to experiment and branch out his style. His rhymes were very crafty, plus he was easy to direct, which is different than a lot of MCs.”

Next was the man we now know as The RZA, another Tommy Boy reject, who had put out “Ooh I Love You Rakeem” under the name Prince Rakeem on the label in 1991. Paul had first met RZA in 1989, and the two even worked on demos back then. “I had always thought Rakeem was dope,” Paul says. “I didn’t even know him as a producer back then. His rhyming is what stood out to me.”

Finally, Paul called upon Frukwan, an old associate from the days of Paul’s first notable crew: live-band legends Stetsasonic. Frukwan had left the group before their final album, 1991’s Blood, Sweat & No Tears [Tommy Boy], and Paul definitely wanted him on-board: “I always felt that he was amazing, but underrated. In Stet, he always got overshadowed by Daddy-O.”

Paul, who clearly had more pull than he figured, explains the result of those first calls: “RZA, Poetic and Frukwan were the first three guys I called and they all said yes. They came over to my house and we started making a demo.”

Frukwan, the group’s veteran, recalls, “The whole challenge at that time was to come out not mimicking anyone else. We wanted to create a new diversity in hip-hop. We had to figure out what other MCs could match the new chapter that we were going to put out. Who was creative enough?”

Frukwan, who had met Poetic before but not Rakeem, adds, “Honestly I think we all felt like we were starting from scratch, from ground zero. Me and Paul couldn’t do another hip-hop band like Stetsasonic. There were a lot of solo MCs back in the early ‘90s, but there weren’t as many groups. And it was an awkward mix of guys. But Prince Paul was one of the top producers of that era, and he already had some beats. So we all agreed to see what we could do, to fit concepts and lyrics on what Paul already had.”

The Gravediggaz name was agreed upon first, and Paul says there has been some debate within the crew as to whether RZA or Poetic came up with it. “At first there was no concept at all,” Paul recalls. “I was just in it for the beats and rhymes. But once we sat down and talked, we realized that the name would be most important. So we came up with Gravediggaz and built the concept around it. The guys’ personas had to come right after the group name, of course. Rakeem said, ‘Yo, I’m gonna call myself The RZArector,’ and then that became RZA for short. So that’s the first time he used that name.”

“Then Poetic said he’d be the Grym Reaper because he had had The Brothers Grimm group,” Paul continues. “And at first I was like, I’ll be the Pall Bearer [laughs], but then I chose The Undertaker, because I was the dude who prepped everything. [Author’s note: Frukwan was The Gatekeeper]. After all that, we knew we’d be coming from a dark place. And my tracks at the time were already there.”

Importantly, and potentially unwittingly, Paul and the crew were creating a new sub-genre within hip-hop at the time, which would come to be known as “Horrorcore.” This was, of course, a post-album marketing construct more than anything. But, Paul explains, “Gangsta Rap had already been so exploited at the time, so we went with horror. And then the guys would drop some non-horror hip-hop jewels in there from time to time. Basically, all three guys were in full character at recording sessions, starting from the earliest days. I didn’t have to keep reminding them.”

“As for the image,” Paul adds, “I left that to the MCs. My whole focus was the music and the arrangements. Once the name and concept was set, I left it open, because I had MCs that I loved and knew they would come up with the dopest stuff possible.”

Frukwan explains, “Sometimes it was a challenge to stay on-point and not go off-course. We talked about that while we was putting the record together. I grew up with knowledge of self, and taught consciousness and cultural awareness, so I didn’t want to go away from that. We basically set it up that the world was deaf, dumb and blind. People were mentally dead, and we were digging in their brains to wake them up out of their ignorance. It wasn’t about worshipping the devil, or eating brains or any of that.”

The group initially centered their work around Paul’s home studio in Long Island – aka Paul’s Coffee Shop – for their demo. They sometimes laid down vocals to Paul’s sound creations on the same day, and vocals were also occasionally spliced together by Paul later on.

At first, things were off to a good start, since Paul also remembers: “That first day we met, we did a song called ‘The House That Hatred Built.’ It didn’t make the album, but that set us up for everything else to come. We were in the graveyard, with bones and all that.”

“The way that a song went was basically the first one who finished their verse, they were first on the track,” recalls Frukwan. “It was that simple. Everybody had the music and everybody knew what time we was supposed to be at the studio. In a way, it was a battle, because the person who rhymes first is probably going to be the most-remembered one for any song.”

He adds, “Every verse we did and liked was always accepted, there was never any argument about whether we should re-do anything. We just knew. We were in-tune. We became tight pretty quickly, because we was all we had when we were recording those early songs.”

Other early-on tracks included: “Freak The Sorceress” [which was not on the album, but turned up on the B-side of the “Nowhere To Run, Nowhere To Hide” single]; “1-800 SUICIDE”; “2 Cups Of Blood”; and “Pass The Shovel [And Step],” the latter which only appeared on the UK CD pressing. Paul adds, “There were a few other unreleased ones, I still have them on cassette somewhere.”

A death-defying demo was done by late 1992, with approximately six tracks on it. “I thought that what we had come up with was amazing, and I shopped that demo for a year,” Paul explains. “But nobody would bite. Jive was interested at one point but someone there said, ‘Why would you want to sign them? They’re old and played out.’ That was pretty depressing.”

Paul continues, “Either way, I was still making beats the whole time it was being shopped, and some of those ended up making it onto the album.” During his year of shopping he was also helping De La Soul with their underrated third full-length, Buhloone Mind State, which was released in the fall of 1993. Ironically, on Tommy Boy.

Scott “Scotty Hard” Harding, a young studio wizard and producer who had just engineered the shelved Resident Alien album for Paul, remembers the demo well, even though he was not involved in its creation. “Believe it or not, I actually like the demo songs even better than the later ones they did, the ones I actually worked on,” he says. “’Pass The Shovel,’ ‘Freak The Sorceress,’ those songs were amazing.” Harding also recalls a song called “Don’t Be Afraid Of The Dark,” which did not appear on the album or any singles. He would go on to engineer most of – and mix – the album-to-be.

Despite the industry apathy to the Gravediggaz demo, all was not lost. He remembers, “It was literally a week before the time we agreed that we were going to give up, in late ’93, that Jon Baker at Gee Street came through. I think that Poetic was working at a bread factory at the time, and he was just planning on just staying there.”

Gee Street Records’ founder Jon Baker recalls, “I felt that the Gravediggaz record was perfect for us.” This might seem like an odd statement since, before the Gravediggaz, most hip-hop fans – at least in the U.S. – knew the label for relatively less-aggressive groups like PM Dawn, the Stereo MC’s and New Kingdom.

But, Baker reasons, “You can’t tell me that that record would have easily fit at any other label of that era either. Gee Street was the definition of left-of-center, alternative hip-hop in 1993. We weren’t trying to be Def Jam.”

Baker does have a point. And his ears were indisputably good ones when it came to A & R. Starting Gee Street in London in 1985 after a half-decade in New York [where he worked as a bouncer at downtown hotspots like Negril and the Roxy], by the end of the ‘80s he was helping groups on the Warlock / Idlers and Tommy Boy labels blow up in the UK and continental Europe by licensing their singles and albums.

By 1991, PolyGram and Island Records had bought 50% of the label; made Baker one of their heads of A & R; and moved his operation to Island’s Manhattan homebase at 4th & Broadway. He didn’t know Prince Paul well on a personal level before he signed the group, but they both had a great deal of respect for each other.

Prince Paul recalls, “Jon was really into the concept of the record, and at first he even wanted to downplay the fact that RZA was in the group [Author’s note: Assuming this means wanting to focus on RZA’s character in the Gravediggaz, The RZArector, instead of relying on his Wu-Tang Clan association], to keep all of that separate and sell our album without Wu-Tang fans.”

“At first, when we signed it, I was more attracted to what Paul was doing than the fact that RZA was in the group,” Baker concurs. “Wu-Tang was starting to blow up while I was talking to Paul [in mid-1993], but it wasn’t fully there yet. For me, the attraction was the chemistry that all four guys had together on the demo that I heard.” Baker doesn’t recall the album track and single “1-800 SUICIDE” being on the demo he heard, although Paul remembers it being one of the first six or seven tracks they produced and included.

Paul says that songs from the demo that Gee Street signed were the same as they appeared on the final album. “We didn’t redo any of the demo songs,” he explains. “They are on the album the same way. Tascam 8-Track cassette and [Akai] S900 samplers, straight up.” Scotty Hard has the same recollection.

After the ink on the Gee Street contract had dried, more sessions were embarked upon – from late 1993 into May of 1994, continuing the vibe that was already in place. Paul recalls, “For all of those album sessions, everybody was open for the most part. Towards the latter part, RZA started getting really busy because Wu-Tang was steaming up. That was the only thing that made scheduling a little bit more difficult.”

Most of the additional album recordings were done at Firehouse Studios in Brooklyn and GLC Studios in Manhattan. “GLC was almost on the West Side Highway, at the end of Christopher Street,” Scotty Hard recalls. “It was a weird place and it wasn’t known for hip-hop, but it was cheap.” Paul and Scotty both agree that mixing for almost all tracks was done at Greene Street Studios.

And while there were many outside guests on the Gravediggaz album, those paying close attention might have noticed that the three members of De La Soul were notably absent. Paul explains, “I guess part of it, at that point, was me setting myself away from them, having an identity that was me without them. At least on my record.”

Paul explains a producer technique he used, to get the most out of his motley crew of MCs: “I used to play those guys against each other, to push them. Poetic would rhyme in a normal way, and I’d be like, ‘C’mon, man, you can’t let RZA outdo you!’ Or I’d tell RZA, ‘Yo, Poetic ate you up on his verse.’ Then they’d come back with something closer to what I wanted. I’d tell each of them that the other one was better – especially with RZA and Poetic – and they’d battle right there on the spot.”

Paul continues, “Frukwan was more like ‘I’ll beat you up’ than he was likely to rhyme against someone. But the competition made him step up his game as well. When it comes down to it, all MCs are the same: you never want to be the wack guy on a song.”

“I do remember that technique Paul used,” Baker says. “It was almost like a reality show, how he would push them with their verses.”

Paul also employed different ways of getting vocal contributions, using a “Have DAT, will travel” approach and even using the United States Postal Service as an accomplice [see song comments below]. He says, “With guys like Biz Markie or Serch [both MCs are on “Defective Trip”], I would go to their houses and record them. I was kamikaze recording a lot of stuff with a portable DAT machine. I’d just tell them what to say or what to talk about. And then throughout the production process, I had to edit a lot of voices together. Old-school style, sampling and splicing.”

Paul points out, when asked to compare RZA’s role in the Wu-Tang Clan and the Gravediggaz: “He had full control in Wu-Tang, but when it came to Gravediggaz, he wasn’t production-first. He was more about lyrics. If you recall, he only does vocals on a couple of songs on [the Wu-Tang Clan’s late-1993 debut] Enter The Wu-Tang. When he came in for Gravediggaz sessions, he was always into it and down for anything, he wasn’t distracted by what was happening with Wu-Tang. I don’t think Gravediggaz ever took a back seat.”

“The ironic thing about RZA back then is that Gee Street was ready to sign the group without him and I demanded that he be in it,” Paul notes. “RZA was a little apprehensive because Wu-Tang was starting to take off, and he didn’t want to be locked down to anything. So I told Gee Street that we wouldn’t all sign until they worked it out with him, because we were a group. Then, of course, RZA blew up and Gee Street was like, ‘Fuck Prince Paul, let’s deal with RZA!’ [laughs].” Paul says that the deal they signed was for two or three albums, but, “I was only concerned with that first one.”

Although the group was two years old by the time their album came out in late summer of 1994, a bit of serendipity – or was it karma? – helped these misfits attract more ears to their sound. Paul says, “A lot of Wu-Tang fans were checking the Gravediggaz record out because we were kind of an affiliate, so that wasn’t a bad thing.” Additionally, RZA brought in guest MCs from his orbit who contributed to Gravediggaz songs with which they were involved, including Scientific Shabazz [David Collins, aka Shabazz The Disciple] and Killah Priest [Walter Reed].

The way the group was marketed was also unique. They were presented according to “Horrorcore” themes you might expect, with plenty of splattered blood, weaponry [both modern and antique] and dirty sneers for the camera. But with crisp photography by Christian Witkin on stark white backgrounds, the visuals approached elegance. Jon Baker explains, “We didn’t package them with a full hip-hop sensibility. It was a different approach. And beyond the visuals, we managed to communicate in various ways that this was not shock and horror just to get a rise. There were messages behind certain songs, like ‘Diary Of A Madman’ and ‘1-800 SUICIDE.’”

Reg Reg Askew, who was in charge of promotion at Gee Street during the Niggamortis years, recalls their marketing approach: “Within the company, the discussions were never, ‘Is this too violent or too much?’ It was more trying to define what ‘Horrorcore’ was. Otherwise, it was just about selling the record to core Wu-Tang fans because of RZA, and getting the word to vintage hip-hop fans who were into Stetsasonic and De La Soul. Overall and most importantly, everyone at the label was very excited about promoting the record, because Wu-Tang was on fire at that point.”

Askew, who had worked with Poetic before [at DNA International, who partnered with Tommy Boy for the Too Poetic release] and knew RZA, adds, “I didn’t really expect a record like Niggamortis from Prince Paul, but I definitely did from RZA. It was a really fascinating album. And when we went on the road to promote it, the fan excitement was real, it wasn’t hype. Everything about that record was pretty unique from a promotional perspective, because I didn’t have to do many outgoing calls. People were calling me, asking what was next with the Gravediggaz. That’s very rare.” He says that the singles off the album – “Diary Of A Madman”; “Nowhere To Run, Nowhere To Hide”; and “1-800 SUICIDE” – got “lots of mix-show and college radio play, but nothing much at mainstream.”

As fans of the album know, there is great deal of insider humor embedded in some of the group’s tongue-in-cheek, graveyard-laden lyrics. Paul points to the line, “Who killed Tommy’s boy?” from “360 Questions” as one of his favorites, since all four group members had various connections with the Tommy Boy label. Either way, Paul explains, “I didn’t even care about the jokes as much, because I thought that, bottom line, the music had to be great, and the rhyming had to be great. I was only caught up in making sure that it was an innovative record.”

Even if there was some humor involved, certain segments of the public took the group a bit too seriously. “I guess in the context it was placed in, people didn’t know whether they should take it seriously – whether we was buggin’, or if it was a gimmick,” Paul admits. “Phil Donahue or somebody back then wanted us on their show because somebody’s son tried to commit suicide and they wanted to blame it on our record [‘1-800 SUICIDE’]. It was pretty absurd. Someone even told me that they saw C. Delores Tucker on TV in the early 2000s, years after the album was out, holding the cover of our album up.”

The album had two different titles, depending on where it was purchased. For most of the world, including Gee Street’s birthplace in the UK, it was Niggamortis. In the U.S., it was changed to 6 Feet Deep. Paul says, “We had to change it in the U.S., but it was cool everywhere else, I guess. I think they figured that the title Niggamortis wouldn’t fly at places like Target or Wal-Mart. But it was always Niggamortis to us.”

Released in August of 1994, the album reached number 36 on the Billboard “Top 200” album charts and sold quite respectably, driven almost exclusively throughout its push at retail by the single and Hype Williams-directed video for the song “Diary Of A Madman.”

There was actually another Horrorcore competitor in the game that year: The Flatlinerz, who featured one of Russell Simmons’ nephews on the mic [Jamel Simmons, sometimes incorrectly listed as Jamal]. The Def Jam album USA – which stood for “Under Satan’s Authority” – didn’t make much of a splash by most accounts, which to the Gee Street team proved that shock alone didn’t sell. There needed to be some substance behind it, as well. Askew says, “That album did nothing because Gravediggaz had so much hype around it.” Baker adds, “That Flatlinerz album was wack.”

Paul says that he shopped the Gravediggaz demo to Russell Simmons and Def Jam A & R reps in late 1992, which would have given them plenty of time to drum up their own splatter-hop group, if you are into conspiracy theories. “I thought it was a bit strange, because the Flatlinerz were so similar,” Paul says. “But that’s the music biz for you.” It didn’t matter: the so-called “has-beens” in the Gravediggaz are the ones that fans remember today. After 1994, the Flatlinerz faded from view.

To add to the group’s profile in 1994 and ‘95, the Gravediggaz toured with the Wu-Tang Clan at various times. “It was us and Wu-Tang on one bus,” Paul recalls, with a laugh. “That was pretty intense. With our live gigs, to match the imagery on the record we just wore dark clothes. It wasn’t very complicated [laughs].” During those same years they also toured with Ice Cube, House Of Pain, Korn and the metal / punk group Biohazard on different bills. This proved their broad appeal, which also spilled over into the rock and metal arena.

“They would do a lot of shows with Wu-Tang back then and RZA would pull double-duty,” Askew recalls. “He’d do a full Gravediggaz set, change, and then go back out for Wu-Tang. The Gravediggaz actually put on an incredible live show, they had lots of energy. It was the anti-sexy rap thing, the Wu-Tang mentality. Poetic always stood out on stage, he topped them all.”

Paul estimates sales of Niggamortis at around 400,000. Gee Street’s Baker counters, “By 1995, I would think the album sold 200,000 or 300,000 in the U.S., but at this point it has definitely gone Gold [500,000 units] in the U.S. We probably didn’t officially certify it. By the mid-2000s, I bet it had sold a million worldwide.” Baker attributes the perennial and consistent sales to RZA’s continuing relevance in the worldwide marketplace, beyond the fact that the album has gained underground classic status thanks to Prince Paul’s involvement.

Either way, Paul says, “It broke the Top 40 charts and that was pretty good for an album without any hooks on it [laughs].”

More than sales, though, Paul wanted respect, since that was why the album was made in the first place. He explains, “Production-wise, it’s probably my favorite record that I have ever done, and if I had to do it again, it would have been the exact same. When it came out, I was jocking myself on how good it was: the music, the lyrics, the sequencing.”

“On that album, I actively played the role of producer,” Paul explains. “I’d suggest stuff, I’d make people do verses over. It was the epitome of producing and arranging. When I was doing [De La Soul’s] 3 Feet High And Rising, I was directing the production, but I didn’t know what I was talking about most of the time. By the time I did Gravediggaz, I knew what I wanted, and I knew how to get to it.”

Scotty Hard says, “The MCs in Gravediggaz didn’t seem disgruntled when we were making the tracks I was involved with on the album, but I know Paul was going through a tough time, especially after shopping the demo. I think some of the negativity and aggression came out in the tracks Paul made, because he’s not generally a dark guy at all. At the same time, he was also combatting his ‘Daisy Age’ image [from De La Soul], so it made sense to go in that direction. In the end, it all led to a really unique record.”

Paul has an extra sentimental view of Niggamortis because of Poetic’s presence on it, and how he was – in many ways – the lyrical leader of the group. He says, of his friend who passed away in 2001: “I miss him, he was my man. To me, Poetic was always a wordsmith and a true rhyme guy. We just got along, and I was able to really pull amazing stuff out of him. Right before we got the deal with Gee Street, he was having some hard times, and I was really glad that he got some money from the deal. It was important to me that he was able to do what he loved.”

“I think that Poetic surprised me the most as an MC on that record,” Frukwan explains. “He had an ill flow. I’m more conservative, but thorough. And RZA comes from north, south, east and west. That was just a groundbreaking record, we all did what we set out to do.”

Jon Baker states, “That whole era was just amazing. You had Biggie, you had Bad Boy Records on the rise. It was an exciting period in hip-hop, and the Gravediggaz were right there in the middle of it. They were older in relation to other artists coming out at the time, but they still connected with younger fans. And when you connect with the youth, you sell records [laughs]. Paul really had a conceptual vision, and that album was his baby. Then RZA took it to another level, somewhere that Paul might not have even expected. A place that was even more hardcore. It was amazing to watch it happen.”

“What impressed me was that it was just a real hip-hop record,” says Reg Reg Askew. “There wasn’t anything commercial on there. And for us at Gee Street, we had gone from PM Dawn to Gravediggaz without missing a beat. It made people look at the label differently.”

“First of all, musically the album still stands up,” Scotty Hard explains. “It wasn’t just a gimmick that fell apart. People weren’t doing concept records like that back then, especially in hip-hop. And it really drove home the point that whoever you are in rap, you’re probably playing a character of some type. It could be gangsta or it could be flower-power. And Gravediggaz, it took it to the edge, to make it so obvious. It was like pro wrestling: let’s make sure people know that we’re kidding. The lyrics are so extreme, but also classic. It just couldn’t be real, the stuff they were talking about. But it made people say, ‘Maybe other rappers I listen to are playing a role, too.’”

Paul concludes, “That’s probably the most fulfilling record I have ever made in my career. It stands right next to 3 Feet High And Rising and [Paul’s experimental 1996 solo album] Psychoanalysis. For me, Gravediggaz was done to show the world that I wasn’t wack. And to prove the same thing about the rest of the guys, too. People weren’t looking out for me, Poetic, Frukwan or RZA in late ’92. What I hear now when I listen to it is the camaraderie, how all of these guys who didn’t know each other got together and made one thing. Everybody was on the same page, and we were all very dedicated. It was all about achieving something collectively and gaining common ground. It was creative and it was harmonious.”

Verge

Post by Verge »

must cop.

Versive

Post by Versive »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:1st chapter is a dope teaser. did he actually get doom to talk about black bastards? i notice there's no comment from him about gas face.
Either way, this part will be very interesting.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

maybe just cause it's in the 3rd bass section. gravediggaz was interesting too, didn't realize they started recording before 36 chambers came out. weird to think about going into left field with a horrorcore genre when gangsta rap & native tongues movements were just a few years old. hard to find that type of artistic vision these days.
1. Nas
2. Drake

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:weird to think about going into left field with a horrorcore genre when gangsta rap & native tongues movements were just a few years old. hard to find that type of artistic vision these days.
people are experimenting & pushing boundaries now as much as they ever have..
granted, in ways a lot of purists don't appreciate.. but they're still doing lots of new & interesting stuff

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Prince Paul is such a good dude.

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Forgot how good that first Gravediggaz album is. There's not a weak song on it.