Marvel MCU thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Ramen

Re: Marvel MCU thread (civil war spoilers)

Post by Ramen »

907 wrote:Luke Cage is really good so far (3 episodes in), but dude sounds way too much like John Cena when he goes in on some righteous speech shit.
he's definitely not a great actor but the supporting cast is very strong.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Ramen wrote:
907 wrote:Luke Cage is really good so far (3 episodes in), but dude sounds way too much like John Cena when he goes in on some righteous speech shit.

Exactly. He doesn't need to be with that case. That said, Juice is not very convincing as his role of "gangsta consultant." Not a good fit at all.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Love seeing Thomas Jones in there, I recognized him in the NWA flick too but didn't wiki it until now

Post by 907 »

Philaflava wrote:
Ramen wrote:

Exactly. He doesn't need to be with that case. That said, Juice is not very convincing as his role of "gangsta consultant." Not a good fit at all.

Really? He was probably my favorite (and best actor, imo) out of the bad guy crew. To each their own, I guess.

Finished this last night, favorite Marvel/Netflix show so far for sure.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Philaflava wrote:
Ramen wrote:

How come he always got dumbass names tho, "shades" :lol:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

unclebengi wrote:Love seeing Thomas Jones in there, I recognized him in the NWA flick too but didn't wiki it until now

Didn't stand out, but I guess I forgot what he looked like. Suge from Straight Outta Compton stood out tho.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Good read on what happens in Ep 7 and the fall of one of the main characters

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thought this was extremely good for what it represents. The feel of the show is pretty authentic.

However it still suffers from the same problem the other Netflix joints have, which 13 eps is too long.

I'm happy to hear the Defenders will only be 8 eps.

Supporting cast on LC came with it as expected.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

10 episodes would have been perfect. Really dope though. On par with season one of Daredevil.

Minor gripes: the science stuff behind the powers was laughable and poorly explained and some of the hip hop references were heavy handed. I cringed when Misty said the words "Shook Ones" to a nubby fat white guy.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Misty Knight could get it

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

unclebengi wrote:Misty Knight could get it
Yeah, she can get irritating tho. Reva was bae till I found out the truth :sad:

Rosario still the first love

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Misty throwing me fuck you eyes all season long.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Heard mixed reviews on it. I overall liked it and thought it was a good show. Certain things about it I wish were better but there's no denying out of all of them on Netflix so far it has the best musical score. Thank you Ali Shaheed and Adrian Younge.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

^Coleen Wing :jerk:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

They also announced yesterday that Sigourney Weaver will be the main villain in The Defenders :ohsh:

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

fucking with this heavy but then again, the trailer for the last one was good too

if it turns out to be something like "In some alternate future time line, 'Nathaniel Essex' creates X23 who escapes to find grieving Old Man Logan and slowly fading Xavier and then Reavers come after them' I'd be happy
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

i assume youre pointing to the logan trailer.

zero faith in this one. the original story line is incommutable to what theyre trying to do, and i guarantee, xavier will be in logans head, and that time travel will be involved.

theyre already motioning that mr sinister will not be in this movie, but its super early in the roll out, so chances are theyre saying that to curb expectations and then SURPRISE, hes in the movie and the villain the whole time, because, who are they going to get to replace, hulk, doom, doc oc, red skull, etc?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the basic concept of 'Logan is tricked into killing everybody and feels bad about it' is pretty portable, I think that's all they're gonna use here. although I don't think they have the balls to actually have him killing all the Xmen, they'll probably soften it.

IMDB's plot description explicitly mentions Nathaniel Essex, so it's a question of how much of a role he actually plays here more than if he's in this at all

the idea that Xavier is only in his head is interesting, I was thinking something like that too but more like Xavier is actually alive and real but just physically incapacitated somewhere and is present only telepathically

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

looks pretty I'll, will definitely peep

ric

Post by ric »

strange was dope. Swinton mikkelson cumberbatch ewiji or whatever and the love interest. possibly best cast for a marvel movie in terms of acting and really drawing the characters out in such a short period of time? I mean really they jam a ton of good shit into their characters. Swinton and cumberbatch especially

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Strange was a solid Marvel movie but it's very Marvel'ness keeps it from being a better fantasy movie.

Cumberbatch is good, but the character feels too much like a Tony Stark redux. They clearly hired the dude to do his megalomaniac thing from Sherlock on a grander scale, but then bizarrely soften that with too much quippiness and slapsticky jokes. And his arc is exactly the same as Iron Man's - dude starts out thinking he's better than everybody, gets knocked down some pegs, learns important lessons etc etc... This feels like a big stumble in the larger MCU context because up to now they've managed to make each leading character a fairly distinct personality and motivations.

This translates to the general tone too. The subject matter would clearly benefit from a darker atmosphere, but Marvel can't break away from being the 'lighter' comic universe so there are moments of forced humor that stick out badly.

The villain is bleh, waste of Mads on another random guy with poor motivations to destroy something or other.
Dormammu, the real big bad who's behind Mads, is pretty cool; but what should be a vast cosmic evil is flattened to another CGI beastie because again, Marvel seems to be skittish about turning people off by going too dark.
There is a whole lot of good in here though - visually it's the best Marvel movie by far, they really make good use of the psychedelic look of the comics. Swanton is great, McAddams is barely used but does great with what's given. The pace is quick, the movie never drags and the action is interesting and different from what we usually get in these movies. As in GOTG, being mostly separate from the rest of the MCU helps it establish it's own world. They really had the right ingredients to make something unique here, it's a shame they didn't take advantage of them all the way.

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
i agree that mikkelson was wasted on a capped character. but I think the strange stark comparison is off because where stark and strange end up going are totally different. strange develops into a dude who's journey is about realizing some Buddhist shit and stark is the never ending do gooding/badding narcissist. it'll make for some interesting moments later on down the line if they don't fuck it up

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Best Marvel movie since Guardians. The special effects were trippy AF in IMAX 3D and the fight scenes were actually well choreographed fights and not just a series of big moments like most comic book movies.
Agree that they wasted Mads but they countered that with some Scott Adkins, so all is good.
I also was rolling my eyes pretty hard at the big bad reveal, another giant head floating in space except this one wants to turn the whole universe into a black light poster for some reason.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ric wrote: strange develops into a dude who's journey is about realizing some Buddhist shit and stark is the never ending do gooding/badding narcissist.
I don't really feel the distinction as strongly as you do, but I hope you're right about down the line. If they meant to give a more spiritual angle to Strange's arc it didn't register very strongly imo.

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
I've got my fingers crossed. I think where they my faulter is by having him act like a narcissist as a way to show power (a la stark). I can forgive some arrogance which would seem to fit with the character (he saves the world from a celestial fucking being for fucks sakes) but not this me me me shit that stark is on

fwiw Swinton sets the buddhism/mysticism tone beautifully and its just time for strange to pick up where she leaves off

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

alpha

Post by alpha »

Like Cage is the worst of the Netflix series. It was beyond boring