Marvel MCU thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Re: Marvel MCU thread (civil war spoilers)

Post by SYM »

They packed a lot into this movie and somehow made it work? I understand that having The Sovereign play a huge role on the auxiliary is only to help set up the next film with Warlock, so can't be too mad about that. The whole Yondu vs Ego arc was definitely a bit puzzling.

Favorite moments:
Rocket's booby traps in forest
Yondu post-imprisonment break
Groot post-credits
Ragnarok easter egg
Howard the Duck
Pac-man

The last scene in general was Disney to the max and cannot hate on it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Guardians 2 was really good but probably not as good as the first. The set pieces and general cinematography were awesome. Thought a lot of the jokes struggled to land and they were forcing the humor a bit too much, especially in the first half. Kurt Russell was pretty great (and the CGI younger version of him was the best of its kind to date).

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Guardians 2 was really good but probably not as good as the first. The set pieces and general cinematography were awesome. Thought a lot of the jokes struggled to land and they were forcing the humor a bit too much, especially in the first half. Kurt Russell was pretty great (and the CGI younger version of him was the best of its kind to date).
I mostly agree, but it's going to be impossible to recapture the feeling of an unknown property like you had with Guardians 1. The bar for success was set much higher this time, and by and large they followed through. Some of the jokes did fall a little flat in the first half, but there's some fantastic moments as well. The opening credits scene was :ohsh: It got a little slow when they got to Ego - you could see what was going to happen coming from a mile away - but the third act redeemed it. The Sovereign B story felt unnecessary and crammed in, but I guess we'll get Adam Warlock out of it so whatever. Wasn't really blown away by the OG octagenarian guardians team, we'll have to see how they do in the next movie. Really looking forward to Infinity War, it'll be fantastic seeing these characters mix with the rest of the MCU.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Comic book trailers after Batman vs Superman: YOU'RE DOING TOO MUCH, NEPHEW

slow down. breathe. leave some intrigue.

WE'RE GOING TO SEE IT ANYWAYS, YOU GREEDY CORPORATE FUCKS. NO NEED TO REVEAL 95236 REASONS WHY WE SHOULD IN THE TRAILERS

I literally cut off the last Spiderman trailer and this one half way through and am like "will see the rest IN THE ACTUAL MOVIE, THANKS"

I thought they were being subtle with the Wonder Woman roll-out... but the last fucking ad reveals SOOOOO much I cut that shit off too

what is this rubbish bollocks about showing like 2 or 3 minutes of a whole fucking scene in the trailer??? they need to WRAP IT UP, B :arrow:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE A FUCKING CLASSIC COMIC BOOK MOVIE TRAILER

JESUS T'CHALLA CHRIST IT ALL LOOKS FUCKING PERFECT AND BRILLIANT

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by 907 »

Jesus, I figured Black Panther would be a perfectly acceptable MCU origin story type movie, good but nothing special. I wasn't ready for it to look THAT dope, I'm kind of looking forward to this more than Thor now.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

'Spiderman: Homecoming' is pretty damn flawless. The revisionist history actually works, since they don't plot anything in Peter Parker's life before Avengers: Civil War.

It's a youth-skewed comic-book movie that also will satisfy adults galore. Tom Holland captures a naive new incarnation of Petey, and it will suffice for... 5-10 more movies. Marvel done saved Sony and the entire Spidey Universe from falling apart faster than Green Goblin's face in the Amazing Spiderman 2 with Dane DeHaan.

Action sequences are all pretty stunning, the trailer actually didn't give away too much from the final version of the movie. They change ONE line from the trailers that I wish was still in the final movie, and there is ONE CLASSIC REFERENCE to movie history in the middle of Spiderman: Homecoming that will make you grin from ear to ear.

I can't really think of one atrocious moment in Homecoming, but I do know I prefer the tone of the Sam Raimi universe, overall. It felt the most like a comic book. This definitely feels like a Spiderman movie in the Avengers World, and it's definitely for the better, instead of the worse direction the franchise was going before (even though a Sinister Six movie/world would have BEEN FUCKING AWESOME). A little heavy on the Tony Starks/Iron Man leaning, but it was never too much that Tom Holland was out of his league in his own movie.

The situation that they use to connect The Vulture to the Avengers is impressive. Some inventive camera work in this film too. Stay for the post-credits scenes. Both of them are commendable, for different reasons.

9.3 out of 10 stars

ric

Post by ric »

black panther trailer looked dope.

spiderman homecoming was pretty sweet. I'm actually not too familiar with the character so I have nothing to gauge it against but this new iteration is worlds better than the Tobey maguire shit

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Too big to post here, but here are a bunch of pics taken from the upcoming Black Panther movie:

https://imgur.com/a/miWP5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Black Panther is going to change everything.

Same way Wonder Woman is reshaping the comic book hero universe, and showing DC the way forward

Maybe don't put ALL your billion dollar eggs in the basket brain of ONE fucking white guy, AHEM Zack Snyder AHEM, when he's NEVER made a bonafied comic book classic movie

Patty Jenkins has expanded the potential of superhero movies for the next decade, and Wonder Woman wasn't even perfect, it was just strongly above average

but Black Panther is going to be VITAL on sooooo many levels. It has a parallel to a reality that's never been explored before on such an expensive level, and it's also the last Marvel movie before Avengers Infinity War Part 1, so it will be VERY important as a set-up to the BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME

OMG this fucking shit is going to be INSANITY AWESOME :bunny: . I want to be buried in Wakanda when I'm dead and gone, word to T'Challa :ironmike:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Homecoming, considering I was never the biggest fan of Spider-man in general and don't really care about him being in the MCU. I know there are multiple variations and takes on the character but this feels like the first time I 'got' what he's supposed to be about in a way that resonated beyond a literal reading.

The teen movie/neighborhood stuff was my favorite. It felt like a John Hughes movie at times (this was clearly purposeful), but also felt like a fairly believable take on high school and a really well rendered take on Queens. Even though Keaton was fantastic as Vulture and I enjoyed their confrontations I did feel a little twinge of regret about the scope of their conflict growing beyond it into the larger MCU world. Still, in the end it was more about the travails of navigating teenage life vs handling a larger responsibility than about stealing alien weapons from the Avengers, so I can't complain too much. I'd just rather watch hours of Pete and Ned banter and the chess club kid giving confused side eyes. To give credit where it's due, Marvel showed admirable restraint in focusing this on Spidey without saddling it with too much of the usual MCU positioning and world building.

Was I the only one who though Happy Hogan stole the movie when he was on screen? He's the only other established MCU character I'd want in my fantasy version of this movie that's all about teen drama and hi-jinks happening at a high-school where one of the students just happens to be Spider-Man.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle in re happy
yeah you might be I didn't particularly like the happy character in general even though there was like 1-2 lulzy moments (out of an intended 20 (which was kind of annoying)). And this touches on a problem in movies in general nowadays. where it's like we watched these motherfuckers WATCHING THEIR SCREENS AND PLAYING ON THEIR PHONES. that sucks in my opinion.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

slow painful wait for more Black Panther footage

ONLY 6 MONTHS AWAY NOW :bunk: :rofl:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

they'll definitely fuck up trying to reconcile the complicated 'damaged victim of PTSD' take on the character with the crowd-pleasing awesome killing machine take but I'm watching this for Bernthal either way

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

in

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

:ironmike:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

November 17th

Trailer looks good. Slightly surprised this is dropping so soon, thought they might hold it back after the Vegas shooting.

ric

Post by ric »

Thor ragnarok
Pretty sweet. I was expecting something more intense but I do like the direction they went with.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

yeah the new Thor movie kinda Ragnarocks LOL
some pivotal moments in Marvel universe mythology happen, but the movie is essentially lightweight & psychedelic
bye bye Mjolnir :sad:
Cate Blanchett as Hela fucking slays every scene
and Tom Hiddleston's Loki continues to carry the crown for the most beloved bastard villain in the MCU
Idris Elba almost becomes Morpheus LOL
the director was the blue rock dude? :hooray: clever boy
he's Asgardian god level now
they stole a lil bit of a scene from Wonder Woman but it's okay
and they can make a Themyscira if so inclined
also, Thor Ragnarok possesses arguably the best Stan Lee cameo of all time. I think it's the first time Stan had special effects since Jean Grae's the Last Stand moment, but waaaay funnier
commendable way to end a trilogy

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Liked Thor a whole lot

Has the usual Marvel sins, feels long as hell and the plot is both convoluted and largely superfluous. At least they seem to be getting better at compartmentalizing shit, there isn't much here that felt like overt setup/world building for other parallel character franchises.

Cate Blanchett slays, they give her all the rope to chew scenery and she ends as my favorite MCU villain to date (tbh their villains are so generic the only others 1-turn baddies I can remember are Keaton as Vulture and Russell as Ego). Loki is good in this too, I always thought he was on overrated character but he won me over here.

The humor was the best part for me, the movie is frequently hilarious and finds its own tone and rhythm for the jokes that doesn't conform to the usual cutesy shit Marvel throws in to remind you they're the light-hearted ones. The director's unique voice reflects in the rest of the movie too, he embraces how ridiculous all this is and so Thor is cheerfully presented as a happy go-lucky idiot and the fantasy visuals look like bitchin 70s van art set to Led Zeppelin.

ric

Post by ric »

drizzle wrote:The director's unique voice reflects in the rest of the movie too, he embraces how ridiculous all this is and so Thor is cheerfully presented as a happy go-lucky idiot and the fantasy visuals look like bitchin 70s van art set to Led Zeppelin.
really loved this approach even though i personally prefer the much more serious thing; director really nailed the feel in this sense.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Five episodes into The Punisher series and it's a bit dry, tbh.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Marvel sucks at understanding that people gravitate toward dope villains.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

here we gooooo

hell yeah.

ric

Post by ric »

Brolin. Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh.
Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhh.
Great choice. I couldn't think of a more perfect match for such an epic dude.

On that note it's a fucking shame Mads Mikkelsen was wasted like he was.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

:bunny:

I WAITED MY WHOLE LIFE FOR THIS :owens:

NOW I HAVE MY ADVANCE TICKET :omar:

T'CHALLA FINNA TAKE OVER ERRYTHANG NOW :cas:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »