Film That Wouldn't Get Made Today

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

Film That Wouldn't Get Made Today

Post by Spartan »

Kind of wild how these films might be seen as inappropriate today, but back in the day, they were pretty mainstream.

Here are a few picks:

Ebola Syndrome | 1996
Keeping it topical. Think of Outbreak but with racism, rape and cannibalism:

Angel | 1984
Why on earth someone thought of making an action thriller/ after-school special revolving around a child prostitute playing cat and mouse with a serial killer is beyond me. Not only did this get a theatrical release but it was followed up with three sequels:

Blazing Saddles | 1974
This needs no introduction at all.

Chained Heat | 1983
The Women in Prison sub-genre might very well be one of the most reprehensibly exploitative genres in film and yet there's this arguable classic:

NSFW

Fight for Your Life | 1977
Apparently, this movie actually caused riots in 42nd Street movie theatres and Deadwood's William Sanderson completely disowns it today:

What Have You Done to Solange? | 1972

"Those girls know what it's all about, for sure. Only sixteen and surrounded by secret boyfriends, petty jealousies, orgies, and lesbian games." Imagine a film where the hero is a borderline nonce and an adulterous douchebag but still a pretty likeable guy:

Feel free to add on.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Re: Film That Wouldn't Get Made Today

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I don't want to consider a world where Cannibal Women Of The Avocado Jungle Of Death might not exist just because of its risque synopsis.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Any Ralph Bakshi film of the animated variety comes immediately to mind. Especially Wizards, if only for the fact that at its time a PG rating was suitable.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I wonder if something as nuts as Face/Off would get released by Hollywood today as the movie we all know and love?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Any movie that is not 3D animated, based on a toy/board game, comic book or young adult novel.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

The Godfather, Chinatown, The Shining...

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

ThaJim2 wrote:Any movie that is not 3D animated, based on a toy/board game, comic book or young adult novel.
I bet you're real excited for the Playmobil movie they just announced huh.

I don't see Face/Off being that big of a departure from a lot of the over-the-top action movies being released now like the Crank movies or Shoot Em Up.
The Cage movie from the 90's that always surprises me that it was put out by a major studio is 8MM.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Chained Women could be an HBO show today
UBM CD COMING SOON

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Pretty sure "Food of the gods " wouldn't make it past Peta...

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Tommy Bunz wrote: I don't see Face/Off being that big of a departure from a lot of the over-the-top action movies being released now like the Crank movies or Shoot Em Up. The Cage movie from the 90's that always surprises me that it was put out by a major studio is 8MM.
Regardless of how OOT it was, Face/Off was a totally different beast from likes of Crank and Shoot 'Em Up, which were obviously self-aware and tailored to audiences savvy to cartoon like extremes being the norm.

This also applies to the faux-grindhouse movement and other than a few notable exceptions, they completely missed the essence of the original films they paid tribute to.

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

I can't see shawshank redemption being made in today's age

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Pretty sure 95% of any movie made in during the 70s would never be made now.

admiral

Post by admiral »

Soul Man - C. Thomas Howell in blackface

A Fish Called Wanda - makes fun of a guy with a stutter for 2 hours. Picketing and boycotts would ensue. *HOT TAKE:* This might be on the most unfunny comedies ever made. Too long and tedious (it's a one-joke movie), it's beyond me how people reference this as an all-time classic

Double Impact - they would CGI the pussier Van Damme brother and ruin the magic of watching this guy act his ass off in both roles

Iron Eagle 1 - we're too afraid of showing what one man's will and an F-16 can do to a middle eastern country when they violate international protocol. You'd get an upgrade when they'd choose Channing Tatum to play Jason Gedrick's character, but an unwatchable downgrade from the god Louis Gossett Jr as Chappy Sinclair to Morgan Freeman, even though Jamie Foxx would do okay in the role. Would they have the guts to remake this video though?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Cash Rulz wrote:Pretty sure 95% of any movie made in during the 70s would never be made now.
You are damn right about this. Its not even the more famous entries but the mid size and smaller movies. No chance in fucking hell that the Hospital is made today.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

excellent list admiral