Jurassic World (2015)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Combo7

Re: Jurassic World (2015)

Post by Combo7 »

The dinosaurs in the 1993 original looked like living, breathing reptiles, whereas the commercials and trailers for this one make them look like Pixar cartoon characters. Does it look any better in the theater?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

There are a few times they look corny (There's a brontosaurus close-up that looks especially goofy) but 90% of the time they look badass.

Movie was great great fun. Its a major retread of JP1 but its actually better because of it. Pleasantly surprised how violent it was for PG-13.
Want to fuck Bryce Dallas Howard so fucking bad.

Also, just as a general heads up, if there are posters fagging up a movie thread where none of the mods have watched the movie yet, send me a pm and I'll come in and clean house.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:do we get a dino war between the new dino and some t rex's or something of the sort? I remember being super hyped at the end of the og when the raptors teamed up against the T Rex
Yes yes yes!

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Garbage. Wanted to love it. If you want to see Andy vs a bunch of PS4-level CGI dinosaurs, this is great.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

http://nerdist.com/zookeepers-are-recre ... sic-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Jurassic World's unintentionally very racist line is stunning audiences
Among the smorgasbord of dinosaurs that feature in this summer's biggest blockbuster, Jurassic World, is the little-known Pachycephalosaurus.

It is pronounced (pak-ee-sef-a-low-sor -us), and the lizard-like creature has a habit of escaping its enclosure.

Now, this is a fast-paced action film so there is no time for such lengthy paleontological words, leading a character to at one point abbreviate and shout: "The Pachys are out of containment!"

Phonetically this sounds like a wildly racist slur, and it has left some viewers squirming uncomfortably in their seats:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ric

Post by ric »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:Garbage. Wanted to love it. If you want to see Andy vs a bunch of PS4-level CGI dinosaurs, this is great.
saw it because a friend said it was entertaining... best sellings garbage of all time

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Went in not expecting much beyond some solid dino action but was pleasantly surprised overall. The human elements worked better than I expected, not exactly 'good' good but nowhere near as cringe-worthy as something like Transformers.

I think it did 2 things right in it's m.o. (or at least in its intentions):

1. it purposefully tries to homage/channel/emulate Spielberg and by extension his appreciation for old school adventure pulp. This bodes well for both the action (which is geared for fun overkill as opposed to shock/jump scares) and the characters. Pratt does the most with this as far as characters go, he purposefully hams it up and overplays the fun-loving macho adventurer archetype, even affecting a John Wayne-ish hiproll for physical emphasis. D'onofrio does well with his villain archetype as well. Howard's character fits this scheme as a classic cold prig who starts unlikeable but comes out of her shell and earns our respect by the end, but the script undermines her by never quite figuring out if she's supposed to be a damsel in distress or a capable character in her own right. Still, the actress gives it a good shot.

2. It heeds the lessons of Fast & Furious and ups the ante by embracing and overemphasizing the most ridiculous elements of the franchise's core premise. I hope they continue with this, because the next logical step up would be multiple engineered dinos with awesome tricks duking it out with each other, and I'm all for it. They pretty much lay this out when D'onofrio ponderously finds time to neatly deliver some foreshadowing exposition before inevitability kicks in.

None of this changes that the movie is indeed dumb as shit. There are tons of idiotic moments in the minutia and in the big picture the movie very much needs streamlining. The billionaire is totally superfluous and his role as an authority figure beyond the context of the park could've easily been made part of D'onofrio's character. The attack on the main park definitely should've happened sooner, that's where the real fun starts and it gets us to the Blackwater/field test stuff quicker. The meta-narrative about how just showing random dinos isn't that interesting anymore speaks to this directly and the movie needs to take it's own advice. The threat of rampaging animals out of their cages is expected, the dinosaur teamups and rocket launchers are the upped ante we are looking for, so why push that off until the final third?

The kids are superfluous too but putting children in danger is bread and butter for movies like this, and they weren't too annoying, so I didn't mind them much. The dynamic between the kids and Pratt's and Howard's characters worked well enough for me. The control room stuff was a huge surprise, those scenes were actually really legitimately good. A better movie would've done more with those characters, but ... this just isn't that movie. Thankfully, along with the wrong kind of dumb, we get a raptor and a trex teaming up to fight a camo raptor-rex. That's the right kind of dumb and there's enough of that here to yield a net positive.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

drizzle wrote:
2. It heeds the lessons of Fast & Furious and ups the ante by embracing and overemphasizing the most ridiculous elements of the franchise's core premise. I hope they continue with this, because the next logical step up would be multiple engineered dinos with awesome tricks duking it out with each other, and I'm all for it. They pretty much lay this out when D'onofrio ponderously finds time to neatly deliver some foreshadowing exposition before inevitability kicks in.
Agreed. They should set the sequel hundreds of years in the future and do Jurassic Park: Dino Riders

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Lol that's the second time when somebody mentioned Dinoriders when I praised the movie for ramping up the ridiculousness. I really wish they took it there tbh, or barring that just straight up make a Dinoriders movie.

For all the jokes, it feels virtually inevitable that somebody, probably Pratt, will actually ride a dinosaur in the inevitable sequel.

ian e

Post by ian e »

They also kind of tapped into Dino Riders territory when they put those headsets onto the raptors... just like the Rulons did with their dinosaurs.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Tommy Bunz wrote: Want to fuck Bryce Dallas Howard so fucking bad.
yup.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I actually downloaded some Dino Riders episodes a couple years ago for shits and giggles.
Was pretty disappointed it didn't live up to my memories at all. I had the T-Rex toy though as a kid, thing was cool as fuck. Think I had one of the pterodactyls too.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

definitely down for some mecha t-rex.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

jredd109 wrote:
yup.

Yeah BDH could definitely get the dick.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

still illiterate wrote:
jredd109 wrote:
yup.

Yeah BDH could definitely get the dick.
True, but I can't believe this broad had those heels on through that entire ordeal. Those high heels staying on was such a jarring feature of the movie and required such an enormous suspension of belief, jesus, even more than all the ridiculous stuff that was peppered thoughout. I took my lil sis to watch the movie yesterday and she seemed to like it, but I was very disappointed.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

yea the most unbelievable part of the movie about a the velociraptor whisperer running around a theme park centered around dinosaurs that's opening twenty years after that exact thing went terribly wrong was definitely the footwear choices
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

when u that fine u allowed to have all man's names
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:yea the most unbelievable part of the movie about a the velociraptor whisperer running around a theme park centered around dinosaurs that's opening twenty years after that exact thing went terribly wrong was definitely the footwear choices
she was sprinting with them shits! c'mon son!!
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ChaMerZ wrote:
seagrams hotsauce wrote:yea the most unbelievable part of the movie about a the velociraptor whisperer running around a theme park centered around dinosaurs that's opening twenty years after that exact thing went terribly wrong was definitely the footwear choices
she was sprinting with them shits! c'mon son!!
pretty sure that was a purposeful sight gag, the shot was framed to make sure you knew she was running in heels, likely as a follow up to her argument with Pratt earlier on where her being in heels is mentioned explicitly. i think the heels show up in a few other 'hero' shots she's in as well, like when she saves Pratt during the aerial attack

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

When they kept showing Nick's soda cup, did you notice it was spelled "Jurassik Park"?
Don't recall if it was that way in the original movies, but why a different spelling than the movie title?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

not to mention, that she actually is running in high heels, its not a photography trick

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tommy Bunz wrote:(There's a brontosaurus close-up that looks especially goofy)
twas rough stuff
a one second cameo of jimmy buffet double fisting margaritas while fleeing was the highlight of this whole thing
moved by duck muscles

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

This was okay, glad I didn't pay $15 to see it. The first third of the movie could have been completely cut except for a couple scenes. Waiting until the half hour mark before we even see the big dino is ridiculous, they needed to ramp up the action, we've seen all of this before.

Wasn't really sure what D'Onofrio's character's job was throughout, no idea how he's the head guy all of a sudden.

The kids weren't bad, and Pratt and Howard had really good chemistry. The control room scenes were good, Jake Johnson was stealing scenes all over the place. Pterodactyls attacking civvies was fun. Fantastic fight scene at the end leaves you feeling a bit more forgiving. They channeled Spielberg pretty well, but it felt like a knockoff. How many times can they play this theme park scenario out? No more sequels please.

So many plot holes....I thought the clear globes were safe and impregnable (they go on and on about how safe they are) then all of a sudden they're eggshells? The raptors want to kill Pratt in the beginning then they follow him while he's riding a motorcycle and don't kill him. The raptors have a language? Why is the gps under the first layer of epidermis etc. etc. etc.

This thing had four writers and it showed.

6 outta 10
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

jamrage wrote:This was okay, glad I didn't pay $15 to see it. The first third of the movie could have been completely cut except for a couple scenes. Waiting until the half hour mark before we even see the big dino is ridiculous, they needed to ramp up the action, we've seen all of this before.

Wasn't really sure what D'Onofrio's character's job was throughout, no idea how he's the head guy all of a sudden.

The kids weren't bad, and Pratt and Howard had really good chemistry. The control room scenes were good, Jake Johnson was stealing scenes all over the place. Pterodactyls attacking civvies was fun. Fantastic fight scene at the end leaves you feeling a bit more forgiving. They channeled Spielberg pretty well, but it felt like a knockoff. How many times can they play this theme park scenario out? No more sequels please.

So many plot holes....I thought the clear globes were safe and impregnable (they go on and on about how safe they are) then all of a sudden they're eggshells? The raptors want to kill Pratt in the beginning then they follow him while he's riding a motorcycle and don't kill him. The raptors have a language? Why is the gps under the first layer of epidermis etc. etc. etc.

6 outta 10
good summary. feel the same just didn't want to type it all out. i really hope they are not going for a sequel with this.

Post by 907 »

ChaMerZ wrote:
jamrage wrote:This was okay, glad I didn't pay $15 to see it. The first third of the movie could have been completely cut except for a couple scenes. Waiting until the half hour mark before we even see the big dino is ridiculous, they needed to ramp up the action, we've seen all of this before.

6 outta 10
good summary. feel the same just didn't want to type it all out. i really hope they are not going for a sequel with this.

It broke the record for best opening weekend (or week? I don't remember exactly) of all time, there's a zero percent chance they don't make another one. Every actor who's in this one could drop dead tomorrow, and they'd STILL make a sequel.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

907 wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:

6 outta 10

It broke the record for best opening weekend (or week? I don't remember exactly) of all time, there's a zero percent chance they don't make another one. Every actor who's in this one could drop dead tomorrow, and they'd STILL make a sequel.
I know, but a boy can dream.

Actually, if they do another movie of them having to take back the island and/or having them go crazy on the mainland it might be okay. Just no more theme parks.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Officially the 3rd biggest movie of all time behind Titanic & Avatar.
Sequel announced w/ Pratt & Chastain on board in 2018.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

^ What a horrible world we live in.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Crazy

Some reason i felt no reason to see this in theaters

Guess people have missed their dinosaurs