Justified Season 6 Thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

LilLeftBrain

Justified Season 6 Thread

Post by LilLeftBrain »

man i was thinking deweys being oddly profound right about now and then that nice 'you'll never leave harlan alive' began being strummed and then was like :ohsh: :ohsh: :aww: guess given it's the final season should have been more prepared
fucking #fun premiere. already love what dillahunt's doing in his two minutes of screentime. season shall be unreal
moved by duck muscles

zombie

Re: Justified Season 6 Thread

Post by zombie »

first episode was great. kinda saw that shit coming at the end though, there was a shitload of foreshadowing before it happened.

raylans wife STILL fucking hot, bitch gets hotter and hotter everytime I see her. goddamn.

I hear theres gonna be some sweet cameos this season. sad to hear its ending after this but id rather now than dragging it out another 5 years and becoming stale.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

just waiting on my nigga Wyn Duffy
UBM CD COMING SOON

Dan

Post by Dan »

I miss Dewey.

zombie

Post by zombie »

oh my god

episode was so good.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

the 2nd episode of this season was the best, great dialogue and maybe a little too much of my nigga wynn duffy.
UBM CD COMING SOON

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Loved the dialogue with Raylan and Art about the snakes in the yard and the scene with Markham/Raylan at Lorretta's. Dude blowing up was crazy too.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:maybe a little too much of my nigga wynn duffy.
:lol: :lol: :gyeah:

most recent eps the fav so far, but they've all been balling out of control. my dude dickie and loretta being back was a+,
moved by duck muscles

zombie

Post by zombie »

Alllriiiight allllriggghhtt

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Depending how they finish this up, this could go down as one of the greatest final seasons for a Drama.(BB was shaping up that way until the horrific finale)
UBM CD COMING SOON

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yezzir
got all the faith they'll keep it going that a way
moved by duck muscles

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

My nigga Wynn Duffy a rat.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Wynn Duffy a rat.
Is a Ru surprised?

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Wynn Duffy a rat.
Is a Ru surprised?

I suspected as much since Markham and ole' girl didn't seem like the rats, love the new gun slinging baddie as he was Will Graham's crazy orderly that captured Hannibal.
UBM CD COMING SOON

zombie

Post by zombie »

ah! that's where I saw that hick-dude before. I knew I had seen him before, I just couldnt pinpoint where. thanks

zombie

Post by zombie »

also last episode was amazing

seeing basically ALL the main characters in one single room, so much tension, felt intense.

and then watching Loretta clown on Markham. pure gold.

Question: Is Duffy Gay? And if so, is he having sexual relations with his body guard?

zombie

Post by zombie »

Also, why did Duffy stay in the cave when he knew it was going to blow down? Like, why didnt he just run for his life? I know he was supposed to be sneaking and being a rat, but I mean, eventually you feel unsafe and you should just get the hell out right?

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Image

Damn fell asleep before the show started gotta watch tonight, hopefully that's an excited as fuck for what went down GIF.
UBM CD COMING SOON

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

:bow: :bow: :bow:
moved by duck muscles

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Hell of an episode.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

MIKEY!!!

:owens: :owens:
UBM CD COMING SOON

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

oh shit after oh shit after boyd hat flip after oh shit after MIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
going to miss this goddamn show so hard
moved by duck muscles

zombie

Post by zombie »

did he smash her neck after being shot 3 times in the chest lol

fucking amazing

"911 whats youre emergency" , "i dont even know where to begin" - dufffy

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

the body slam onto the counter tho
am pulling for a duffy, loretta or tim spinoff after all here is said and done
moved by duck muscles

zombie

Post by zombie »

It might just be me, but what was the purpose of the morbid scene with Grubes? I felt it was completely out of place in relation to the rest of the show. Like, how did he die? Why did they have to show him like that? Justified isn't that gory/morbid of a show, so why did they do that? They don't need to do scenes like that to keep the viewer's attention, it's already a really great show.

Maybe the books explain the history behind him and who he was and why that all happened, but it just seemed pointless. They could have just opened the door and he (grubes) not be there and they could have gotten the point across still.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I will have to watch the finale again to fully digest it. I still believe they should have went with the repeated historical cycle of the young upstart gunslinger taking out the grizzled vet(although I did like the chekhov head shot was brought back up)

MY NIGGA WYNN MOTHERFUCKING DUFFY!!!!
UBM CD COMING SOON

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

it was awesome watching him drinking Kentucky whiskey on #Conan last night

great television
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Saw this written up about Boon and the confrontation between him and Raylan:
Raylan, having rejected his darker side by not shooting Boyd, has finally come to peace with his demons and is driving away from Harlan as he takes Ava to Lexington. The audience is aware that Boon is still alive and he has Loretta. I also understand part of Boon's confrontation with Raylan were shown in the promo - one reason I avoid promo's changing the channel immediately at the conclusion of an episode. Regardless we would know this showdown is coming just as it must come after Raylan either captures or kills Boyd. Boyd is the primary antagonist of the series for Raylan. Boon fits another classic role, one derived not only from the history of men such as Jack McCall, Robert Ford, John Selman, etc. who killed famous outlaws and/or gunslingers but from film/tv. From the ending of Henry King's masterly The Gunfighter to the ending Brian DePalma's Carlito's Way to even it's most extreme form in the death of Omar on The Wire, a legendary figure surviving his most significant clashes only to die at the hands of an upstart is a tradition. That the mythic figure falls at the hands of someone beneath him - often shot when not looking - after overcoming everything else is not new.

However Justified is too original to strictly follow this narrative. It isn't just that Raylan is not a criminal like many of those other cases. He is, for all his flaws, still the hero of the storyline. It is that Boon is as gifted as Raylan. He may even be quicker on the draw and more accurate. Boon is not cowardly. He is not shooting anyone in the back. He seeks out the confrontation but he wants the confrontation on equal terms. Raylan recognizes, for the first time, someone who may be quicker and better with a gun. Olyphant is fantastic as he shows someone who realizes that Boon could end up killing him. His look is not one of confidence. It is Boon who is supremely confident. Instead Raylan's look is of a rapidly increading knowledge of his mortality and a strong determination.

One of the comments against Boon is how a character should not be introduced late with some declaring why not Walker as the final antagonist. However, Walker was never set up as a rival who had the potential to kill Raylan. He was instead shown to be someone who, as Raylan pointed out, was in over his head. Garrett Dillahunt is a tremendous actor but Jonathan Tucker's Boon was a far, far more fitting conclusion. The cocky upstart who admires Raylan while wanting to kill him. The threat to society as Raylan is the protector. This was best demonstrated in scenes with Loretta. Raylan's paternal relationship with Loretta being in sharp contrast to Boon's creepy, personal space invading imitation of a gentleman. Boon was a character who created revulsion and such a character triumphing over Raylan made the knowledge of a confrontation that much more nervewracking.

As Ava and Loretta both duck down, Raylan and Boon face each other. We then get a long shot. The ripples of water in the background are the only thing not perfectly still. There is no edit as both fire. Both draw at around the same rate and both hit the other one. Raylan's collapse is complete while Boon kneels then falls forward. It is Boon we stay on. His face registers shock. This is a man who was so supremely confident he never figured death figured in the equation. As he tries to follow one more shot, echoing his boss against Boyd, Loretta, her face covered with worry for Raylan, steps on Boon's gun hand. As Loretta walks towards Raylan she sees a bullet hole in his hat. It is then that Raylan moves and we realize what happened. Boon thought too much of himself. He went for the head just as he told Loretta he does. Raylan went for the chest. Raylan's experience wins out over Boon's bravado. That and luck as the way Raylan puts on a hat matters too.

The upstart does not kill the protagonist. While the upstart is no coward and while he may be more skilled, he is done in by hubris. It isn't quite the end of Rob Roy where Rob's grit and perseverance overcomes the far more skilled and hubris filled Cunningham. Raylan and Boon are far closer and maybe even equals in skill. However it is Raylan's intelligence that overcomes all. The hero has not only overcome the main villain. He has outlasted the upstart. His fate is to continue on.

*Jonathan Tucker's performance was phenomenal, creating hostility through his embrace of many of the worst traits of the 1870's outlaw. It is also a critical villain for the destruction of Boon is the destruction of the mythology of the showdown as an expression of manhood. Raylan refuses to kill the man he wants to in Boyd saving his humanity while Boon forces a confrontation and dies for it. The show could not be clearer here in it's intent.
While I do agree with the author in that Boon was a great character, I disagree with his assertion that Justified's originality was what caused them to derive from the classic narrative. I think Yost was too wrapped up in keeping the characters in line with Leonard's book and wanted a similiar end for them as they usually have in his writings, but this is a different medium and I believe it was a mistake to stick too closely to the original author's intent.
UBM CD COMING SOON

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Pretty much flawless season. Easily the best season of Justified. Along with Breaking Bad, probably the best last season of any tv drama and for my money one of the best tv seasons of all time period.