Game Of Thrones S5

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Game Of Thrones S5

Post by drizzle »

No he had no idea
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

thekeentwo wrote:do you think sam was in on jon's murder, or at least knew about it, when he asked to leave before hand?
cmon shun

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

drizzle wrote:Did they photoshop cercri's face on a diff body or did they photoshop out her tats?
had to be a body double? i watched twice but a lot of shots were just of the face. at least maybe the front side?

EDIT: From AS
(**) Headey was far enough along in her pregnancy when this episode was shot that there was a lot of digital manipulation — as with scenes where Dany interacts with Drogon, some of it was more effective than others — to place her head on another woman's naked body. If there's an Emmy category for Outstanding Acting From the Neck Up, though, she's a lock, and her facial expressions throughout that sequence were so powerful that she could well win the real trophy.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watchi ... glgzUlu.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

tit deception. terrible.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I thought Drogon would have had a dope ass man cave, dude just living out in the open like that?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah doubtful Snow is really gone, Melisandre bounced there for a reason.
When I saw the traitor sign I thought that they were going to burn him and then we'd finally get to find out whether he's secretly a Targaryen or not.

Can't wait for more of Franken-Mountain.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Just glad they got rid of stannis.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

yea way to burn your kid for no fuckin reason. prick.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

dumbass show pulls away on a 95% certain death but lingers on the blood trickling out of the person who like 95% certain to survive

the season had its moments and they did tick off all the major shit that needed to happen to move forward - Danny riding Drogon, Jon Snow stabbed, Cercei's walk of shame. gotta give them credit for not treading water with Stannis like the book does and just getting to his inevitable downfall. but overall... bleh. too much gratuitously unpleasant shit for no reason, too much of trying to create shocking moments without the proper attention to underlying plot detail that actually makes them resonate.

i remember reading something where the later shittier episodes of Twin Peaks S2 are described as 'somebody who's never actually seen the show overheard what Twin Peaks is supposed to be about at a bar, and just kinda extrapolated based on that'. I got that same feeling from this season of GOT.

Reason1

Post by Reason1 »

why glad to get rid of Stannis? thought he was chillingly awesome....also...never really saw him die tbh
Ayo voice, it feels like battling season...

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Drizzle, show caught all the way with the book? Will anything be spoiled if I go to book thread?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Double post
Last edited by naturalborn103 on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Pretty much caught up by now and quite possibly ahead of the books on some things actually. But there are also book things that haven't happened in the show that might still come up so.... idk ....

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Does anyone else think that bringing Jon Snow back after a death scene like that might be a bit 'cheap' considering the near unblinking history of this show regarding character death?

I mean why not bring my boy Ned back if death doesn't matter all of a sudden.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

The Afronaut wrote:Does anyone else think that bringing Jon Snow back after a death scene like that might be a bit 'cheap' considering the near unblinking history of this show regarding character death?

I mean why not bring my boy Ned back if death doesn't matter all of a sudden.
no, you're conflating all deaths for all characters in all circumstances as being equal and that's not the case. it's not that death doesn't matter, there are specific reasons why Jon would be resurrected, both in-narrative (he's the real chosen one, fire god has already been used to resurrect people who have a role to play in whatever, etc) and meta-narrative (without Jon the story has no leading protagonist on the wall/in the north).

wizeguy

Post by wizeguy »

Isn't the Red Woman bullshitting them with cheap tricks. Didn't she confess this to someone last season? Or was it the one before it?

Pretty satisfied with the episode, especially the scenes with Cercei and the religious fellows.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

drizzle wrote:there are specific reasons why Jon would be resurrected, both in-narrative (he's the real chosen one, fire god has already been used to resurrect people who have a role to play in whatever, etc) and meta-narrative (without Jon the story has no leading protagonist on the wall/in the north).
Yeah, I'm with that. So why not just keep him alive in the first place?

Maybe this is a book/show thing but what does resurrection (beside white walker peeps) have to do with the story? Or perhaps why is it necessary is the question.

I'm saying that whole scene loses all gravity if you turn around and bring him back. But hey, maybe I'm trippin.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^the smoke demon was for real

imo john snow is a wolf now.

sansa ded. ppl trippin thinkin she's alive she ded. my buddy thought arya was alive too just blind. she's fucking dead yo!

i feel like the rumours about the night's king are gonna manifest in the present day. melissandra+evil king or something.

jorah gonna infect daario (we know he's the type of dude that likes to hold hands). then khaleesi gonna burn em both. prob gonna invade westeros by the end of s6. dope army. dope elite forces. she's got grey worm as a general, maybe get some blood riders too. ride or die.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

How is the red witch bullshitting? She queefed a shadow Stannis that murdered his bro and a bunch of people witnessed it.
And the red priest Thoros from season 3 brought back the leader of the Brotherhood Without Banners multiple times.
Like drizzle was saying, the fire god's power is pretty well established at this point and there's no reason for Melisandre to go to the wall at all if Jon was going to stay dead.
It would be realllly bad writing to have that storyline end like that.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Also mind blown to find out that was a body double for Cersei.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i'm dtf the body double

imo the high sparrow fucked up bad. he let her go with a half ass confession. what he needed was the full jaime fucking confession that would delegitimize tommen. he's gonna try it with the trial, but imo no reason to go to trial now. send frankenmountain to stomp all the freaks and probably tear the damn building down while he's at it.
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Like drizzle was saying, the fire god's power is pretty well established at this point and there's no reason for Melisandre to go to the wall at all if Jon was going to stay dead.
It would be realllly bad writing to have that storyline end like that.
Yo, this is purely speculative here, but lets walk down this road a bit.

The mutineers leave Jon Snow stankin in the snow until morning. The Red Witch sees him, convinces someone (who?) to help her move the body to a safe place (where?) (they arent going to burn him?) all without the mutineers witnessing and/or making comment, where she then does some fire magic to bring the homie back to life.

I mean...

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

The Afronaut wrote:
drizzle wrote:there are specific reasons why Jon would be resurrected, both in-narrative (he's the real chosen one, fire god has already been used to resurrect people who have a role to play in whatever, etc) and meta-narrative (without Jon the story has no leading protagonist on the wall/in the north).
Yeah, I'm with that. So why not just keep him alive in the first place?

Maybe this is a book/show thing but what does resurrection (beside white walker peeps) have to do with the story? Or perhaps why is it necessary is the question.

I'm saying that whole scene loses all gravity if you turn around and bring him back. But hey, maybe I'm trippin.
His killing and his possible resurrection are results of two different but simultaneous story lines revolving around the same character. The stabbing is a result of an internal power struggle in the Nights Watch and him loosing the confidence of his charges as a commander. The resurrection is gonna happen because the Lord Of Light needs him to do his part in the upcoming ice holocaust and he may also just be the savior reborn or personified or whatever. It's not like she's rebooting him for another go at convincing Alistair Thorne that the Wildings are chill. His resurrection, if it happens, is gonna be a huge thing that changes the context of his character and possibly kicks off the end game on all the mythological stuff that's been piling up.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

The Afronaut wrote:Also mind blown to find out that was a body double for Cersei.

You never watched Dredd? She was in a tank top the whole time, and did not represent.

Dorne was wack, except for the titty assassin.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

kit harrington shaved his head tho
1. Nas
2. Drake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

so I just read NYT eviscerating the finale and among several totally legit critiques I saw this: "But the wholly unexpected killing of one of the show’s principal characters, the idealistic Jon Snow (Kit Harington), by his own men served no discernible purpose other than to pump up emotions, furnish a suitably grim ending for the season and create space for other characters..."

Quick show of hands from non-readers, did people really see this as totally out of the blue and unexpected? The beef between Jon and the more conservative side of the Watch has been building up all season, that's actually one of the few plot lines that imo they did manage to develop properly ( if maybe a bit too subtly). There has been a vocal and sizable opposition to everything he's done, Alister has been waiting to move against him for years now... just Ollie's fucking glares alone were good foreshadowing. Maybe you're not straight out expecting him to get attacked but things were clearly leading to some sort of confrontation. I'm baffled that the writer seems to have totally missed or ignored all this.

TeenageMoustache

Post by TeenageMoustache »

The producers are saying he's dead, and Harrington is saying he's not coming back.

This might be the first time in history a show killed off a character so seemingly important to the story that no one believed it.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Drizzle, they did set the tone all season. Never got to dance of dragons but I knew it was coming. I'd say he was riding good momentum due to hard home. At least that's my read on it

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

drizzle wrote: Quick show of hands from non-readers, did people really see this as totally out of the blue and unexpected?
absolutely not, in fact it was resolution and a long time coming. You never mix crows with wilds.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I didn't see it coming at all. I had (stupidly) assumed he was one of the few "untouchable" cast members like Khaleesi and Tyrion.