DC comic movies thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

ric

DC comic movies thread

Post by ric »

if there's a marvel thread there ought to be a DC mega thread. mods feel free to move this if I'm missing something.
recently read that dc has been making a little more money per movie than marvel

but whatever

i recently read this green Lantern book my little brother left in my apartment. shit is actually really really really sweet even factoring in the stupid shit about green Lantern and the other lanterns (Yeah plural is mostly dumb whatever not everything is awesome but the ideas and conflicts in the green lantern story/universe are actually really sweet on the whole)

which makes me think you know this shit is actually really conducive to the new darker/realistic thing dc is trying to do and what a fucking waste of space the og green lantern movie is. I mean seriously. reboot this series please.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Re: DC comic movies thread

Post by Reggie »

They're fools if they don't use John Stewart. Even if they collapse different elements of other Green Lanterns into one character, Stewart should be it. He's the most recognizable and probably most beloved Lantern character, notwithstanding the seemingly unlimited weirdos who have a hard-on for Kyle Rainer.

To be honest, the first Green Lantern movie isn't horrible, it just isn't good. And it was an attempt to shovel ten pounds of shit into a five-pound bag. But there are inklings of the decent movie--or series of movies--it might have been. I'm far from defending the movie, but it wasn't a catastrophic failure for the studio and it has its moments.

DCE CCO Geoff Johns has this man-crush for Hal Jordan that he can't shake, it's even throwing the comics somewhat into chaos. Someone should explain that most people could really give a crap about the person behind the ring that projects gigantic boxing gloves, they just want to see a ring project giant boxing gloves.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Interesting take Reg. I doubt that GJ is the only one who is all about Hal Jordan though. But a I agree that John Stewart is the way to go.

Rumors are still circulating that Common might appear as him in the Suicide Squad movie.

ric

Post by ric »

see heres one of my main problems with green lantern inasfar as realism and darkness goes; the constructs are like.....wack. this is a ring of amazing and yet constrained power. constraints help make the shit cool. youre fucking telling me though that this amazing power is mostly used to make swords and cars and roads and shit? like yo thats pretty wack. and helps to make that movie a big whateverfest although the acting direction story and character creation are the biggest culprits there

these are my main qualms with the way the ring thing is done.

-the fact that rings like this arent really unique is way stupid and the fact that they are like....almost computerized is like wtffffff
-fucking recharging the ring? ridonkulous. the idea that 'willpower' is endless just defeats the underlying structure that humanity is frail awesome etc and then add to that the shit has fucking batteries? is it fucking powered by willpower or what?
-constructs can be cool but they are super overdone. constructs should be simpler and less gimmicky and really like more rare and/or more powerful. the ring ought to be super powerful where conjuring up that power is a lot of times just kind of good enough to do what you want where the obvious source of doing this amazing thing is that doing that thing comes from the ring. its not just some bullshit to make swords with
-the lantern groups and their satellite groups for the most part have to be way smaller. way smaller. the fact that theres like 8+ little blue elder dudes makes sense though. those dudes are some counsel shit. other civilizations cool though but like the vastness of space and the power of the rings is important
-in my opinion the power and place that the ring holds in the universe and sort of the idea of the multiplicity of the rings is the perfect kind of physical foundation to hold together what the central conflicts of the rings seems to be about; the tale of making the ethics moment by moment as we constantly live through and create value into the unseen future/present. which seems to have a sort of perfect contrast with how batman is set up and how superman is set up because in all honesty the way they are doing batman is still more black and white than people think i think. i mean afterall he still doesnt kill anybody. he beats them up and challenges the rules of interrogation etc but the darkest he gets is smacking somebody on the head real hard making the choice to save the person he doesnt love and then living the lie that he is a killer under the guise that thats whats best for shit. whereas the ring can kind of take on the idea that killing may be ok etc etc. but also the place the ring has can really assist in for example putting the ring into or keeping the ring out of certain conflicts that may be deemed as less than really important for the mythos etc of the ring and the green lantern universe

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Well, there was a recent storyline in the Green Lantern comics that showed the "emotional light reservoirs" were being depleted by too much Lantern ring use. And now there is an offshoot group of Lanterns that refuse to use their rings in an attempt at conservation.

I agree that the concept of the Green Lantern Corps, not to mention the other Lanterns in rainbow colors, is a little unwieldy to drop on someone in one lump. I've felt that the Green Lantern movie would have made a better trilogy: movie one, Hal Jordan gets the ring, goofs around with it for a while, ultimately gets heroic and saves Coast City from a tidal wave or something. Sinestro shows up and tells Jordan he's to report for training. Movie two begins with Hal and Sinestro training, we're introduced properly to the concept of the Green Lantern Corps. The rest of the movie follows the Sinestro arc, where he is kicked out of the Lanterns by the Guardians and Sinestro creates the Yellow Lanterns. Movie three, Hal is a big space hero but uh oh! Here comes Parallax. And, uh, he probably shouldn't look like a dessicated donkey for some reason.

Though really, I think the Parallax story is a weak one upon which to hinge the Green Lantern mythos. It was a clever add-on after decades of having already shown the Green Lanterns' weakness to the power yellow, but if we're starting from scratch anyway you can skip that whole thing. I think they'd do better to pick a more simple threat, like some horrible alien incursion or something. Either way, to cram all of this backstory into one movie is just a big infodump.

ric

Post by ric »

@reggie
im with you that to cram is unwise
if you slow play the concepts and build the universe really slow it could actually be super super sweet
I mean for green lantern slow play feels best anyway because to really get the emotional content of the ring and really feel the full weight of how that shit works I feel like that is best done by exploring all the little intuitive shit around those emotions
and then as you build the universe you already have that solid baseline of how much gravity the emotions and the rings etc have and then building on that is the foundation for dramatic and super sweet ethical shit etc etc

I'm thinking about writing a screen play because it just seems like they need help if the ryan Reynolds movie is where it's at. somebody needs to frame this shit right. and that somebody. may be me.
:lol: