Sicario (E.Blunt, Del Toro, Brolin, Dir. Villeneuve)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Sicario (E.Blunt, Del Toro, Brolin, Dir. Villeneuve)

Post by drizzle »

Been hearing good things about this. Dope cast and Villeneuve killed both Prisonaires and Enemy (although you gotta give heaps of credit to the Gyllenhaaloucaust on both of those)

Kinda looks like what the basic bitches thought The Counselor was gonna be like, which is fine too.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Spartan

Re: Sicario (E.Blunt, Del Toro, Brolin, Dir. Villeneuve)

Post by Spartan »

Looks good.

ric

Post by ric »

refuse to watch trailer will peep game on the silver
:cheers:

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Didn't realise this was Villeneuve. Looks great.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Spartan wrote:Looks good.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

drizzle wrote:Villeneuve killed both Prisonaires and Enemy
Incendies is his best film by far.

This looks like another winner.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Fucking amazing.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:

Yes and yes.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:

Still not seen Incendies. Enemy was great.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

shocked by all the enemy love. thought that movie was horrendous. prisoners was great though.

and that trailer has me sold.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Looks fantastic

ric

Post by ric »

shit is actually pretty sick. music is super well done. acting is fucking tight. cinematography is actually pretty dope. writing is very good.

great take on the over recycled subject matter

bent

Post by bent »

I loved it. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.The movie is only like three scenes which worked really well.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i would love to mouth rape blunt.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Very heavy handed in themes and politics but nearly impeccable as a thriller, the acting is super good and it's like unbelievably well shot. The border scene and the last raid were panic-attack inducing. The shot of the soldier with the knife silhouetted against the cave mouth, walking towards the camera to center the knife in the frame, almost made me weep.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i've heard these promos on Pandora a hundred times. Cant wait to see it
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

paul_smith

Post by paul_smith »

this was fantastic. Literally at the edge of my seat the entire time, Villeneuve delivered yet again.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Saw this yesterday, its pretty fucking amazing. Only thing that holds it back is some questionable plot logic but this is an impeccably-directed intense thriller that deserves all the critical acclaim its getting.
Most movies that tackle this subject matter (the US government interfering with the drug trade in morally questionable ways) often fumble into conspiracy theory bullshit and come off silly and/or preachy, Villenueve does a great job at keeping everything grounded in a believably filthy reality.
Kept having to pick my jaw up off the floor at how great the cinematography was, didn't realize that this was shot by Roger Deakins going on, but this is another highlight in his legendary career. Deakins and Villenueve must've been watching a lot of True Detective while filming this; there's tons of great ominous helicopter shots of the landscape that do a great job of establishing the setting.
Finding out that this movie was written by nerdy ass Chief Hale from Sons of Anarchy is a surprise of Wentworth Miller/Stoker levels.
This is probably my second favorite movie of the year after Mad Max Fury Road.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Im also a huge fan of this film. Especially the first 45 minutes or so.

Is this the best film about the Mexican drugwar/gangviolence? I cant think of anything better RN

I would give it 9/10 or so. Really happy that films with real intensity like this manage to come out once in a while.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Is this the best film about the Mexican drugwar/gangviolence? I cant think of anything better RN
As somebody who never really got into Traffic that much I'd agree. At least from the american pov, there are a few Mexican features and docs i got in my Neflix list that look really promising.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Mostly agree with what everyone has said here, but probably didn't like it as much as the rest of you.

The entire cast was solid, and I thought Blunt and Del Toro were brilliant. The cinematography was stunning, and the action was all really well done. The border crossing shootout was so damn good. The plot holes did bother me enough that I was wondering "why didn't they just do that instead"? I also felt like the time we spent with the police officer was really unnecessary as they played the same scene out several times in the movie. I realize they were trying to show that not everyone involved with the cartels are wholly bad people, but they didn't flesh the officer out enough for me to have much of a reaction when we got snuffed.

Still, this movie is a clear success and another notch in Villeneuve's belt. I don't think this guy has made a bad movie.

7 outta 10.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

jamrage wrote: I also felt like the time we spent with the police officer was really unnecessary as they played the same scene out several times in the movie. I realize they were trying to show that not everyone involved with the cartels are wholly bad people, but they didn't flesh the officer out enough for me to have much of a reaction when we got snuffed.
it irked me too and i thought his basically foregone conclusion fate was a weak payoff until the final sequence of his kid playing soccer and the sound of gun fire. i think they were going for a little rope-a-dope thing where you're instinctively watching the cop but the kid nagging him to go play was what they're really setting up in that subplot. that point is also maybe underbaked and a little clumsy but better than the token 'not really evil corrupt mexican' setup that it looks like on the surface.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

drizzle wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Is this the best film about the Mexican drugwar/gangviolence? I cant think of anything better RN
As somebody who never really got into Traffic that much I'd agree. At least from the american pov, there are a few Mexican features and docs i got in my Neflix list that look really promising.
there's always that liveleak video of two dudes getting decapitated with a chainsaw
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

drizzle wrote:
jamrage wrote: I also felt like the time we spent with the police officer was really unnecessary as they played the same scene out several times in the movie. I realize they were trying to show that not everyone involved with the cartels are wholly bad people, but they didn't flesh the officer out enough for me to have much of a reaction when we got snuffed.
it irked me too and i thought his basically foregone conclusion fate was a weak payoff until the final sequence of his kid playing soccer and the sound of gun fire. i think they were going for a little rope-a-dope thing where you're instinctively watching the cop but the kid nagging him to go play was what they're really setting up in that subplot. that point is also maybe underbaked and a little clumsy but better than the token 'not really evil corrupt mexican' setup that it looks like on the surface.
You're trying to give the filmmakers far too much credit I think; especially given how clunky the rest of the film is in places.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Finding out that this movie was written by nerdy ass Chief Hale from Sons of Anarchy is a surprise of Wentworth Miller/Stoker levels.
aha. that was the first thing i looked up after finishing cause i knew i recognized the name during the credits and thought that name had written a bunch of other great shit. nope, just this
fucken loved this tho
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Trilogy.

http://theplaylist.net/director-soldado ... -20160615/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Villaneuve and Deakins made Sicario, without them any sequels are just random movies about cartels. Having the same writer helps but the script itself wasn't that great, the direction really picked up a lot of the slack.... But sure, why not. I'd watch just to see more of Brolin going to clandestine meetings in cargo pants and flip flops.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Agreed. Stefano Sollima has a pretty good rep as a director though, seems like a good choice.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh I didn't realize this was the Suburra / Gomorrah tv show guy, that's actually a pretty on point pick