Creed (Rocky spin off)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

GUCCI CONDOMS

Re: Creed (Rocky spin off)

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:
alpha wrote: 1,4,3,6,2........5

Feels odd to put 2 that low but it's actually kinda fair. In retrospect it feels like fan service and maybe the early beginnings of when general trends switched from uncompromising bleak drama of the 70s to 80s crowd pleasing. 3 has a much more memorable villain in Clubber and more at stake for Rocky himself, 4 is the cornerstone of 80s movie jingoism and it works precisely because it's so overboard with it, 6 gives you closure and returns to a darker tone of the original.... so yea what does 2 have going for it besides the win itself?

TBH I haven't seen 2 in ages, but the very fact that I remember so much about the others but not much about 2 feels very telling
The thing about 2 though is it retains the classic seriousness and feel of the original rocky whereas all of the Rocky's after 2 have a a bit of a cartoonish feel to them. I don't think that should go overlooked.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

^^ Strong point, even with a victory ending it does still have a darker tone than the ones that followed. By 3 they're in full on 80s blockbuster mode.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ric

Post by ric »

saw creed last night. favorite movie of this year probably. over mad max and over the martian

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

shit was sold out fuck.

ric

Post by ric »

the thing that this movie just owns is character authenticity situational authenticity. it reflects from the writing all the way into the cinematography music and production values.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Oscar nominations right here. Fuck the noise. This shit was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I could have ever imagined. No complaints at all.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Oscar nominations right here.
:larry:

What is possibly worthy of an Oscar in this film?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Don't MB this shit. You didn't even see it.

For starters, in a weak year, this was a great movie. Stallone could easily get best supporting. But again, you didn't see it, so you don't know what you're talking about or couldn't possibly understand other than your preconceived notion and routine of playing "that guy" all the time.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:Don't MB this shit. You didn't even see it.

For starters, in a weak year, this was a great movie. Stallone could easily get best supporting. But again, you didn't see it, so you don't know what you're talking about or couldn't possibly understand other than your preconceived notion and routine of playing "that guy" all the time.
a) I am more well-versed in modern cinema than you are

b) "...in a weak year..."; what the fuck are you talking about?

c) Stallone climaxed (nh) with Cop Land and should have crawled into a hole after that; you're telling me his performance here, which could have just as easily been handled by a roof shingle, is worthy of an Oscar? Do you also give cash to Nigerian princes via email?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

You'll eventually eat crow or come to the realization what I'm saying is true.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Profound analysis.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm not dancing with you. Watch from afar.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Employee wrote:a) I am more well-versed in modern cinema than you are
LOL

Ithe-levelz

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Don't MB this shit. You didn't even see it.

a) I am more well-versed in modern cinema than you are

b) "...in a weak year..."; what the fuck are you talking about?

c) Stallone climaxed (nh) with Cop Land and should have crawled into a hole after that; you're telling me his performance here, which could have just as easily been handled by a roof shingle, is worthy of an Oscar? Do you also give cash to Nigerian princes via email?

ric

Post by ric »

@employee
see it. the movie manages to do a lot of different things and all of them awesome. there's only scene where shits going on that's a bit :bunk: worthy but it makes sense and is mostly authentic and is a minor part to what is a really awesome scene

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Enjoyed the shit out of this. I'm not sure it's a good movie in the empirical sense, there is some really dumb and contrived writing and OTT cheese, but it's a very strong Rocky movie and that's all that really counts.

Stallone is good in this either way though, his best role since Shade.
I got mad emo when they showed him during the cancer treatment scenes looking extra decrepit. Also, this movie is neck in neck with FF7 in sensitively and emotionally handling a main character's death/removal from a franchise without actually showing it outright. The final line on top of the steps about 'you can see your whole life from here' was a bit too much, but his struggling a bit to get up the stairs and then doing a little fist pump with Creed was right on the money.
TBH tho, I'm not sure Creed can carry the franchise alone. We all know who we came to see, and while Creed's character was fine in this I'm not particularly dying to see more of him. The writing shoots itself in the foot a bit in this regard too, they had a pretty clear path to set up an obvious sequel here and kinda tanked it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
gotta disagree. the thing about - say - what you have in the spoilers at the bottom (the quote) is that
1) the way he delivers this and other lines is absolutely perfect because its just really plain and almost like 'i am saying this because i have nothing else to say' (really reaching beyond his comfort level) because hes a young dude which is how young people talk to old people (which is a fucking fact of life)
2) theyve very skillfully written (and acted) little 'normalisms' like that into the whole thing. it just happens that stallone pulls it off with rockys style not just because hes a better actor but because rocky WOULD HAVE more of an ability to deal with vulnerable life shit etc. notice that creed develops his ability to show vulnerability as the movie goes on (and theres no angelic choir singing moment of 'achievement' because thats not whats going on with the character)

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

pleasantly surprised.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Ryan Coogler is the greatest filmmaker alive today.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

i cant see how anyone from philly didnt find the "jawn" scene offensive.
my only gripe.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

it was awkward and completely unnecessary, but i loved the film.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Really enjoyed the fuck out of this, even though you could tell exactly where the plot was going to go the entire time. (legitimately predicted the "if i fight, you fight" part and the end result of the title fight to my girl during the movie).
The jawn scene was bad but most of the other modern-philly scenes were pretty great; Tone Trump getting knocked the fuck out was hysterical and I loved that they decided to show philly's dirtbike scene even though it came off pretty corny.
Jordan and Stallone were both really solid.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Definitely better than Southpaw; even when Coogler laid the on the lovey stuff far too thick at times.

Jordan and Stallone were superb and definitely deserve oscar noms.

Caught some serious feels in certain scenes. JJ, take note.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

movie was much better than expected. agreed about the "jawn" scene. i disagree with them tanking the sequel setup. Seemed pretty obvious to me that this will definitely get a sequel. Let's just hope that Coogler does it.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

great Stallone interview in Variety

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/creed ... 201671457/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

How great would it be if he won for best supporting actor?

ric

Post by ric »

re oscar noms
Hardy or Theron win supporting actor but I did love Stallone in this movie