Game Of Thrones S6

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Ramen

Re: Game Of Thrones S6

Post by Ramen »

I'm also not sure who's swerving who between the Lannisters and Tyrels. I get Cersei inviting the Tyrel army in to the dirty work so they keep their hands clean in the eyes of the common people but you're also inviting an entire army into Kings Landing.

If I'm not mistaken this is kind of similar to how the Lannisters came into power. Coming in on the side of the Mad King and ultimately sacking the city.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

wheels wrote: I was disappointed that Jon didn't actually head North, but that didn't really make any sense so I'm fine with it.
I was dying laughing at how much hoopla the internet made about north gate/south gate like he was just gonna leave the castle forever right in that moment... my dude was just going to his room to start packing his bags and get a spot of soup.

I was curious about Ramsay's army himself. I remember Robb marching south with way more than that, but neither the show nor the books were ever really consistent and detailed about what represents a large army. Khaleesi is supposed to have 8+ thousand Unsullied for example, but it's not clear how that relates to total # of Dothraki or combined forces of the other cities. Sometimes there's a mention of 100000x of soldiers marching north or something, sometimes they make a huge deal of somebody bringing 200 banner men to help. The fact that the show doesn't have a budget for a cast of thousands nor apparently a budget to CGI a cast of thousands on every occasion where it's needed only makes shit more convoluted. There always seems to be only handful of wildlings around or a handful of nights watch people or like 2 squads of soldiers, but they're supposed to represent a much larger number.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

looking forward to some white walker action next episode

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Ramsey's "come and see" had me dying :lol:

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

drizzle wrote:
wheels wrote: I was disappointed that Jon didn't actually head North, but that didn't really make any sense so I'm fine with it.
I was dying laughing at how much hoopla the internet made about north gate/south gate like he was just gonna leave the castle forever right in that moment... my dude was just going to his room to start packing his bags and get a spot of soup.

I was curious about Ramsay's army himself. I remember Robb marching south with way more than that, but neither the show nor the books were ever really consistent and detailed about what represents a large army. Khaleesi is supposed to have 8+ thousand Unsullied for example, but it's not clear how that relates to total # of Dothraki or combined forces of the other cities. Sometimes there's a mention of 100000x of soldiers marching north or something, sometimes they make a huge deal of somebody bringing 200 banner men to help. The fact that the show doesn't have a budget for a cast of thousands nor apparently a budget to CGI a cast of thousands on every occasion where it's needed only makes shit more convoluted. There always seems to be only handful of wildlings around or a handful of nights watch people or like 2 squads of soldiers, but they're supposed to represent a much larger number.
GRRM's number game is notoriously bad. The North is estimated to have 40k soldiers when Robb goes to war, who takes ~22k with him. In the Riverlands, the Tully's could conceivable have 25k more. The Lannisters have around 40-60k iirc at the start of the war. Stannis has 5k, Renly had the majority of the Baratheon's and the Tyrells, which was an army 80k large. I think the Vale has like 20-30k and Dorne has 30-40k. Then the war happened and numbers of course dwindle. So, having 2k soldiers or 5k is not much by Westerosi standards. Most major bannermen to the key Houses usually have this many soldiers when they go to war, think of Karstark or Umber.

Presume LF now has the Vale under his command and possibly the Northern Houses who are looking to rebel against the Boltons. I don't think Ramsey's storyline will end well, either in the books and in particular in the show.

Overall really enjoyed this episode, best one perhaps since season 4?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Ramen wrote:Ramsey's "come and see" had me dying :lol:
Ramsey is a quality troll. Very descriptive.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Guun

Post by Guun »

:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Hodor

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

odds that hodor now becomes a common word?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Hodor on some KRS one shit like "Officer...officer...officer, officer, overcer, oversir, Overseer, hodor!"

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

holding the door for someone will never be the same

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

Blockhead wrote:Hodor on some KRS one shit like "Officer...officer...officer, officer, overcer, oversir, Overseer, hodor!"
:lol:

"Jon Snow seems nice... but a bit brooding" reeked of shitty fan service too.

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

also, so bran basically fucked up and let that knights king touch him, and as a result he turned an innocent kid retarded, a lifelong servant, and ultimately killed him. if hodor was always the result of brans extreme traumatic warging, he never really had any agency of his own.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

it seems like an already incredibly expansive universe just expanded exponentially with the introduction of time-travel revisions/changes

the bran plotline could undo or alter many of the other plots moving forward, right?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

unbelievable dickhead wrote:also, so bran basically fucked up and let that knights king touch him, and as a result he turned an innocent kid retarded, a lifelong servant, and ultimately killed him. if hodor was always the result of brans extreme traumatic warging, he never really had any agency of his own.
idk about this, he made plenty of choices by himself after he became dumb. his loyalty to bran through everything that happened before this was not a result of warging or whatever.

it's not very clear what actually happened here, but I got the sense that Hodor made choice to hold the door himself, it wasn't Bran in his mind holding him there. I think Bran sent his consciousness forward or linked past Hodor and present day Hodor somehow or someshit. Past Hodor lost his mind watching present Hodor make a conscious choice to die for Bran

but in the end Bran is still absolutely 1000% responsible for all this shit

speaking of responsibility for horrible shit, I love how they pulled this insane dramatic character moment nobody could've expected out of nowhere, while completely botching one of the biggest world building reveals in the whole series. OH THE CHILDREN OF THE FOREST CREATED THE GREATEST THREAT TO THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE ON A PICNIC OR SOME SHIT, NO BIG DEAL, NO NEED TO FOLLOW UP ON THAT AT ALL.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

yeah agreed with how they left that story to fall flat on its face. so much more to know about the children of the forest and really WHY???

awkward looking older bran needs to get got. sick of him being a liability for everyone around him.

Guun

Post by Guun »

I'm guessing Bran and Meera need to find another weirwood (sp?) tree so he can connect to HistoryofWesteros.net? Hopefully they explain more of that backstory on who that human was. If it was one of the First-men, aren't the starks supposed to be descendants of the first-men?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

bran needs to roll with the ice dudes, they can get him a horse.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Guun wrote:I'm guessing Bran and Meera need to find another weirwood (sp?) tree so he can connect to HistoryofWesteros.net? Hopefully they explain more of that backstory on who that human was. If it was one of the First-men, aren't the starks supposed to be descendants of the first-men?
they better run head first into about 300 children of the forest that are waiting with detailed blueprints on how to defeat the white walkers, seeing it's all their fucking fault to begin with. also there's literally no other way for Meera and Bran to survive. How much time did Hodor's death really buy a girl dragging a boy that weighs as much as she does through a snowstorm, against an army of ice zombies.

Guun

Post by Guun »

drizzle wrote:
Guun wrote:I'm guessing Bran and Meera need to find another weirwood (sp?) tree so he can connect to HistoryofWesteros.net? Hopefully they explain more of that backstory on who that human was. If it was one of the First-men, aren't the starks supposed to be descendants of the first-men?
they better run head first into about 300 children of the forest that are waiting with detailed blueprints on how to defeat the white walkers, seeing it's all their fucking fault to begin with. also there's literally no other way for Meera and Bran to survive. How much time did Hodor's death really buy a girl dragging a boy that weighs as much as she does through a snowstorm, against an army of ice zombies.
Agreed. Couldn't have gotten far.
Thinking they run into Cold Hands or Benjen. Otherwise I don't know how else they'd be able to escape, unless they stumbled across an ill bobsled course

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Guun wrote: Agreed. Couldn't have gotten far.
Thinking they run into Cold Hands or Benjen. Otherwise I don't know how else they'd be able to escape, unless they stumbled across an ill bobsled course
was thinking that myself. hopefully it will finally put this foolishness to rest
Coldhands is supposedly not Benjen in the books, it's Ser Duncan from Dunc and Egg stories or some such. Which is dumb as fuck, and with all the fan service and streamlining of characters that the show does they will hopefully fix this to make it Benjen
Also, totally different direction... If Brianne is going back to the Riverlands my hunch from earlier is getting stronger

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

How did Meera kill the white walker? Was that spear made from dragon steel?

wheels

Post by wheels »

Dragon glass, probably. Different thing, same effect

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

drizzle wrote:speaking of responsibility for horrible shit, I love how they pulled this insane dramatic character moment nobody could've expected out of nowhere, while completely botching one of the biggest world building reveals in the whole series. OH THE CHILDREN OF THE FOREST CREATED THE GREATEST THREAT TO THIS ENTIRE UNIVERSE ON A PICNIC OR SOME SHIT, NO BIG DEAL, NO NEED TO FOLLOW UP ON THAT AT ALL.
seriously :lol:

no setup, no payoff, just...

'oh, you did that'
'yah we totez did'

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

if u guys honestly think there isn't going to be a follow up to that, you're about as smart as you are handsome :arrow:

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

So are we to assume that the knights of the vale are going to go home or stay at moat calen? Did Sansa outright deny their offer to fight with her/Jon's army or is it to be determined? I can't imagine that her leaving out that the Blackfish info came from Little Finger isn't going to wind up screwing them over in some way(s).

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

Hodor is such a nice person that he will come back as a Polite Walker and instead of death and doom he will bring hugs and massages. From the dead.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

siLLy KiD wrote:if u guys honestly think there isn't going to be a follow up to that, you're about as smart as you are handsome :arrow:

I'm sure this will be alluded to again, but that doesn't change the fact that this was a giant revelation presented artlessly and senselessly and with 0 dramatic effect.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Martin's thoughts on the Hodor reveal:
He interviewed Joe Hill (Stephen King's son) at the Jean Cocteau. Afterwards he answered questions while Joe Hill was signing books. Someone asked him about the show's Hodor name reveal. He said that his name reveal in the books will differ in the context and how it happens. So while the name will still mean the same thing (Hold the Door), it will be very different from the show's reveal. He said he came up with the name idea in 1991 and seemed depressed that the show got to reveal it before he did. He said he had no one to blame but himself for his slow writing. He joked about how jealous he was of Stephen King's writing speed. He said he seemed to release an entire book every time he's only just written about a chapter and a half.
Someone else asked him if he was caught up on this season and GRRM said all his focus is on the books. Someone complemented his chapter that he recently released online. GRRM said that this is a character that isn't in the TV show as his response. The tone of his show related responses made it seem like he no longer likes it. He did defend the show writer's need to make major cuts to the books.
Not surprised he's gonna flip the Hodor thing differently, that scene was very effective but it was still goofy in the same way the show is just dumb and goofy overall now.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

powerful scene, esp. considering it's a minor character. maybe it's the medium itself you find goofy? stick to books, shorty.

this opens the question of how far the books & the show will diverge. as a nonreader i dgaf if the book is spoiled, but could they have different endgames? seems to solve a lot of problems at once.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.