Game Of Thrones S6

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Re: Game Of Thrones S6

Post by Tommy Bunz »

The way I looked at the whole battle was this:

Sansa sat in on the battle plan meeting and learned that they had no chance unless they got the Bolton army to attack down the middle so they could surround them. When Jon predictably let his emotions get the best of him like a bitch and ran down the middle of the field to their deaths, she had no choice but to wait until the Boltons got cocky and exposed themselves by also going down the middle of the field to surround them. Once that happened the Knights of the Vale had the capacity to surround the Bolton army, leaving them nowhere to go.
If the Knights of the Vale join the fight at the start they too would have just ended up arrow fodder. Timing is everything.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

good point

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

it seemed like Davos and the archers were supposed to watch the flank, but he led them into the chaos instead.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

braavo(s) Bunz on that.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

makes sense. let's say sansa did even precisely time her attack. she still withheld the info from jon, even if she didn't deliberately allow him to diminish his forces.

anyone have a take on what sansa's thinking as she watches the three heroes emerge from the chaos & storm the gates? is she like oh shit he actually made it good on ya?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

binary

Post by binary »

It definitely wasn't precise...she let the army get slaughtered for a pretty long time. If we are going by the Bunz theory, then it would make sense to withhold the info from Jon given that she knew he was going to go emo and ruin everything anyways. But she could've let the other generals know.

I'm guessing she was happy to see them emerge, but she was also thinking, "it's time for Ramsey to get fucked up," and didn't want them to destroy him before she got her hands on him...i dunno.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

As much as i love all these theories, I'm more and more certain that her motivation will be explained as "Umm Jon I'm sorry I didn't tell you before but I wasn't sure how you'd feel about it but it's cool they got here just in time right?". MAYBE they'll throw in her uncertainty about him keeping his cool. After the resolution of Arya's story in Braavos I'm think we are giving the writers way too much credit when we get this deep into it. I really don't think they're capable of the kind of nuance we are crediting them with. Everything we base our expectations on was written by Martin, and that backbone is just not there anymore (plus he kinda lost his own plot too).

the strategy possibilities are fascinating though.... would Ramsey even come out to open battle if he knew the Vale army was with them, or would he hole up for a long siege? had Jon known about the Vale army would he be smart enough to stage a similar strategy on purpose, keep them hidden to draw Ramsay out and then spring them? we can probably assume the Vale's army also has far more experienced commanders, would they just laugh at him for charging up the field like a retard and fight their own way? how would the heavy cavalry stand up to the archers anyway? how does heavy cavalry (or anybody else) beat a phallanx? etc etc etc
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

yeah good point about ramsay holing up.

my theory depends crucially on lilfinga's "half brother" comment getting to sansa. i do feel that she is out for #1 moving forward.
1. Nas
2. Drake

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

my theory is it was a plot hole for dramatic purposes and they won't even mention it

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Jon may have had a sound plan but it all went out the window when Rickon got got

But cot damn was this gangsta as fuck.

They gonna sing songs about the Snow god :ironmike:

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

oh and I know Rickons dumb ass is only supposed to be 10 even though he's like 6 ft tall but dude never heard of zig zagging? :fail:

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Ramen wrote:oh and I know Rickons dumb ass is only supposed to be 10 even though he's like 6 ft tall but dude never heard of zig zagging? :fail:
Yeah, I kept thinking of this the whole time

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

unbelievable dickhead wrote:my theory is it was a plot hole for dramatic purposes and they won't even mention it
They deliberately show that sansa withheld her info+communications with lilfinger. She eved lied about her source on the blackfish and there was a scene with brienne questioning her about it.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

It's bitter sweet cause they've gone the "please the fans rout" so hard and it's pretty satisfying but, at the same time, it's not very game of throne-ish.
The tear jerker moments made me laugh out loud alone on my couch.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Cersei dressing up like Michael and everything tho

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Some really fun things, terribly executed. Felt like a supercut of the big scenes from like 5 different episodes. Not a single moment of follow through or reflection on anything. No continuity, like none. Maddening that it's so rushed and sloppy because I actually like most of the things that happened in abstract

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Yah, I'm very irked by Arya at this point. We never really saw her like learn how to do face swapping aside from the fact that there were shit tons of faces in that temple, so are we just to assume that the whole face changing magic is just them cutting peoples faces off and slapping them on their own face and being able to cleanly peel them off like on some medieval Face Off shit? Woulda been better off cutting from her leaving to Bravos and then re-showing up and killing old man Frey. At least then it would have been open to speculation and I'd just be like, "ok, cool, so she learned the face swap shit. Tight." Woulda liked to see more of Frankenmountain too. That was a full bloan cock tease. Gramma Tyrell still stay winning though.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

My thoughts on the finale are somewhere between Drizzle and Block. I found most of the finale entertaining but I also thought that many of the scenes seemed rushed or poorly executed. There were characters that didn't really get any time (the Hound, Bran was only used for the flashback- no wights anywhere) and then characters who could've been shown in prior episodes instead of taking up time in the finale (Sam).

At least they have the teams pretty established moving forward, for the most part.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Also, how easy has travel become? The dickless bald guy must have a jet blue miles cause he's hopping from Dorne to Marin to a boat en rout to westeros in like a day. And wouldn't arya's travel from bravos to Fray's place take a LONG time. Splitting hairs but they never did that prior to this season.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

yeah i thought the same thing about the travel

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Sepinwall said they no longer care about the whole time travel thing if its getting in the way of their story line and he is 100%.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote:Also, how easy has travel become? The dickless bald guy must have a jet blue miles cause he's hopping from Dorne to Marin to a boat en rout to westeros in like a day. And wouldn't arya's travel from bravos to Fray's place take a LONG time. Splitting hairs but they never did that prior to this season.
it's splitting hairs but it also has some really dumb effects on the story. if you can't gauge or standardize passage of time, you can't have a coherent narrative. this has always been an issue with this show, but before it was mostly just Lil Finger popping up in random places out of nowhere. now it's everybody

it took Sam a season to travel a distance that many characters seem to cover in one episode

did Jaime take a day/two to get back from The Riverlands with an army, or did Cercei wait that long for her coronation? if so, wtf was happening in the land in between? half a capital just blew up, a king and presumably a vast majority of important nobles in the city died... was everybody just sitting around thinking it's all good, Cercei got it covered?

how much time passed between the explosion and the meeting in Dorne?

how much time passed between the meeting in Dorne and Danny shipping out?

if there was enough time Yara and Theon to make whoring pitstop, get to Mereen, help Khaleesi get her fleet together and bounce, why hasn't Euron caught up with them yet?

etc etc etc

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

All that aside, I just have little interest in Fat Sam. He definitely eats away at the minutes on the show. Pun.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Agreed. Fat sam can die ANYTIME. He probably won't and that's too bad.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Sticking with Sam's story is baffling but sticking with the Iron Islands also seemed pointless as fuck and that turned out ok, so who knows, maybe there's a good payoff in there somewhere. The books obliquely hint at one important thing possibly in play there, but don't develop it in any way.

Cutting to him checking into the fucking library was absolutely unnecessary though, no question. Completely diffused the tension and momentum of the episode. Shame because that opening was incredible, maybe one of their best directed sequences ever.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

the piano music was on point

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

also can we talk about how Lyanna Stark wasn't really a great beauty

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

How did Cersei give birth to such weak bitches? Only time Tommen showed heart.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Ramen wrote:also can we talk about how Lyanna Stark wasn't really a great beauty
SHOCKING EXPOSE: THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMEN OF WESTEROS CAUGHT WITHOUT MAKEUP

have a heart man, the poor woman was 2 seconds away from dying after the baby apparently carved it's way out with a dull razor or something

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Lyanna stark was ned's sister, right? Dumb question, I know...