Ballers

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Ballers

Post by capable_keL »

I assumed this would suck but upon further review: this show rules.
It stars Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as a retired football star trying to start a second career as a financial manager, goaded by his boss -- played by Rob Corddry -- to "monetize" his friendships. Who else is on this?

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Dan

Re: Ballers

Post by Dan »

I've been in all season. I never watched Entourage, so I can't compare it to that. I'm not a football fan, so I miss a lot of the cameo appearances until the credits roll and I recognize one or 2 players names. Still, I like it a lot. Looking forward to the season finale tonight.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

It's just a good fun 30 minutes of mindless fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it for what its worth.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

This show is everything bad about entourage with a sports twist and amplified to be updated to current times. It's an abomination.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^I'd argue it's all the good parts of entourage. More likable characters and it's about sports instead of cornball ass actors. It should not be taken seriously but it's definitely not as bad as entourage.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Any Given Sunday meet Entourage. I'm a sucker for this shit.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i never saw Entourage. The plot of 5, white, metro-sexual doods acting like women never appealed to me
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

At least the characters of entourage were more fleshed out, does ballers even have a comic relief (drama)? I've only seen the pilot episode of ballers...

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:At least the characters of entourage were more fleshed out, does ballers even have a comic relief (drama)? I've only seen the pilot episode of ballers...
Maybe give more than the pilot a whirl before speaking on it. You could knock it out in one sitting. Perfect background tv.

alpha

Post by alpha »

capable_keL wrote:i never saw Entourage. The plot of 5, white, metro-sexual doods acting like women never appealed to me
not really a good description.

anyway, as much as I despise the Reggie character, showed ended on a high note. I'm in for season 2.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

I really wanted to like it. The Rock and Rob Cordry should be enough for me, but the writing is so predicatble. The hatable characters are too hatable. Pretty much every character is the dumbest human being.
Gave up after four episodes but maybe I'll go back to it with a shitty respect for what it is. Yeah. Probably will.
Buy my mixtape.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

T Rav wrote:I really wanted to like it. The Rock and Rob Cordry should be enough for me, but the writing is so predicatble. The hatable characters are too hatable. Pretty much every character is the dumbest human being.
Gave up after four episodes but maybe I'll go back to it with a shitty respect for what it is. Yeah. Probably will.
Yea, I thought I would be able to hate watch this in the same vein as entourage (especially the later seasons), but I ended up just hating it so much that it was basically unwatchable for me. Maybe I'll give a few more episodes a chance like block suggested, but it's not on top of my to do list...

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

T Rav wrote:I really wanted to like it. The Rock and Rob Cordry should be enough for me, but the writing is so predicatble. The hatable characters are too hatable. Pretty much every character is the dumbest human being.

Agreed. It is garbage television, but nonetheless, it's decent enough filler until GoT. Plus there is v nice trim to look at on the reg. Although where they did throw me off is that I was so sure that Cowboy bound dude's homeboy was behind the blackmailing photo's. Writing could definitely use a spark though, and whoever wrote all that Ari Gold gold needs to come back and create a new ultra dick character and bring that element if this show wants to see more than 2 seasons.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

probably the worst written show I've ever seen and I'm 100% positive I'll watch every episode that airs til it's cancelled
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Bailed on this show after watching the first few episodes and literally nothing interesting or funny had happened yet.
Entourage ended up terrible but the first few seasons were legitimately entertaining. This show wishes it were half as good.
Such a waste of the Rock and Corrdry's talents.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Entourage was complete trash from start to finish too
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i like the rock but i hate football so i'm not gonna watch this
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

dirt_dog

Post by dirt_dog »

Philaflava wrote:It's just a good fun 30 minutes of mindless fun. I thoroughly enjoyed it for what its worth.
I spend a decent amount of time on the train commuting to work, it's just a good way to kill 30 minutes. Better than some of the other garbage I've been watching.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

I fucks with this. Nice way to wind down on a Sunday evening.

alpha

Re: Fear The Walking Dead

Post by alpha »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i like the rock but i hate football so i'm not gonna watch this
Cool story, faggot.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

i'd watch it just for jazmyn simon.