Mr Robot

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Mr Robot

Post by 360 »

This show is a hidden gem on USA. I suppose it would be labeled as some type of cyber or tech thriller but I want to call it something like hacker noir. Idk

Definitely worth a view

ChaMerZ

Re: Mr Robot

Post by ChaMerZ »

Been thinking of watching this one. I heard that the story deteriorates though. Does it sustain interest over time or are there some slow periods?
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan

Post by Dan »

Been waiting for this show to get its own thread. I love this show.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Love this show too, shits gettin weird though can't wait for finale

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Dan wrote:Been waiting for this show to get its own thread. I love this show.
Really?

I've seen the first 2 episodes and though it had some good parts, the incessant narration, overarching 'society-is-fucked-mkay' speeches and the shitload of emotional baggage of the main character made it hard to watch for me. Not sure if I'll pick this show up again sometime soon.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Fight Club meets the Social Network, still one of the better shows on TV thanks mainly to the lead actor.
UBM CD COMING SOON

Dan

Post by Dan »

The finale has been postponed a week. Apparently there's a scene that is reminiscent of the murders that happened today in Virginia, where a TV news reporter and a cameraman were shot and killed on live TV.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

show is goofy as all fuck, but was really looking forward to watching the finale tonight
______

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Not that the big reveal wasn't obvious, but I'm interested to see how they carry this story forward for multiple seasons. It's a good show.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Caught up with it over the weekend. It's a lot of fun, with some really strong acting and a great sense of unreliable narration. But it also reminds me of Snowpiercer in the sense that you just have to accept the premise and barrel roll with it without thinking about it too closely, because if you start picking at the seams the whole thing might just fall apart.

SPOILER
It was pretty obvious all along that there was going to be a Big Twist, and it was pretty obvious they were either going to Matrix or Fight Club it, and I wish they went with the former instead of the latter. I don't need something as extreme as brains in vats or whatever, but I would've preferred the conspiracy to be external, not internal within the protagonist. Especially considering how the world of the show is exaggerated and stylized to be very on the nose with the 'Evil corporation is the literal embodiment of the evils of capitalism' stuff, to the point where it actively suggests itself to be somehow wrong or skewed or unreal. But who knows, maybe the finale will pull another twist in this direction.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Pretty good finale, I was happy with it. Glad that they def have a long term plan and the big twist was just a step in a larger progression instead of an end onto itself. The after-credits sequence sets up some really great shit for next season too, really hope we get more of the CEO maneuvering and plotting.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I tried to watch this show but the drug use hit a little too close to home and REALLY made me want to go get high which is not a comfortable feeling for me these days. It's unfortunate too because up until maybe the middle of the second episode where It got a little much for me I was really enjoying this show. Do the drug use scenes continue through out the season?

Dan

Post by Dan »

I thought this was a great season. Finale did not disappoint. Some great, tense scenes throughout the series.

Odi, the drug use continues, as well as an episode where he's forced to go through withdrawals. That might be even tougher to watch.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Solid finale. They left enough up in the air that there's a number of interesting places to go next season. I really enjoyed both the writing (occasionally cringeworthy, but great for the most part) and camera work (the use of space).

Anyone know what changes they made to the suicide scene because of the news shootings a couple weeks ago? Pretty goddamn graphic. I'm assuming it was a murder vs. a suicide.

Dan

Post by Dan »

No changes were made. It was just the fact that airing a suicide scene on live TV the same day as a gunman killing 2 people on live TV wasn't exactly good timing.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Ah, that makes sense. I would have thought it damn near impossible to pick up and edit a shot like that in a week.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

the corniness of his speech in front of the protesters made me cringe
but i like the rest
odi he snorts morphine for most of the show, its a running thing. so maybe nah. <3

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I watched the first season in two days. I really liked the show. Can't wait for the second season.
who do you think was knocking on the door?

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Yohan wrote:
Dan wrote:Been waiting for this show to get its own thread. I love this show.
Really?

I've seen the first 2 episodes and though it had some good parts, the incessant narration, overarching 'society-is-fucked-mkay' speeches and the shitload of emotional baggage of the main character made it hard to watch for me. Not sure if I'll pick this show up again sometime soon.
LOL. I'm on the 2nd episode and cosign this post to a tee. I literally wanted to turn it off and delete 15 to 20 minutes in .... but every single one of those UNIX commands are ones I use on a daily basis. My home rig is also almost set up the exact same way as the main character's. The technical aspect of the show is somewhat interesting so I will continue to watch the show to see where it goes.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

carly chaikin is fukkin sexxy. wow. can't get enough of the short moments she is on screen.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Random Sample wrote:I watched the first season in two days. I really liked the show. Can't wait for the second season.
for non-specific reasons i"m like 1000% sure it's cops looking for tyrell

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

just finished the 2nd last episode of the first season, and i will say that the show has definitely grown on me. can't wait to finish the last episode tonight so i can join y'all in your spoiler tagged conversations.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Finished it. Was a fun watch. I'd urge anyone interested in this show to stick with it. It gets better.
drizzle wrote:
Random Sample wrote:I watched the first season in two days. I really liked the show. Can't wait for the second season.
for non-specific reasons i"m like 1000% sure it's cops looking for tyrell
Was Tyrell the one implicated when the president of Evil Corp mentioned to the Chinese national that he knows who the culprit is?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

binged the first season, was pretty fun considering.
ChaMerZ wrote:
Was Tyrell the one implicated when the president of Evil Corp mentioned to the Chinese national that he knows who the culprit is?
the "Chinese national" was whiterose, my understanding is that it was a flashback and that he was sitting there with the evil corp dude when the hack started

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

ayyy

starts july 13th

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

drizzle wrote:

ayyy

starts july 13th
maaaan, thank god :bow: I thought I was going to have to wait until september for the new season.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

They leaked the first half of the 2part premiere over the weekend, anybody else catch it? It was a promising start, but maybe too much time spent on him wrestling with seeing shit. Hopefully the second half has more intrigue in Evil corp and the fallout from the hack and all that

Dan

Post by Dan »

I watched it. I liked it a lot, just was surprised that it didn't immediately pick up from the end of season 1 where we're left wondering who was knocking on Elliot's door.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I think his memory loss is too good of a narrative device for them to just lay everything out plainly. What actually happened in the 3 days he blanked out and immediately after the end of s1 is probably gonna be the central mystery of at least the beginning of the season

Post by 360 »

Good start. The ceo of ecorp shitting all over the Fed was great.
Also Lol@ Joey badass