Daily Show w/Trevor Noah

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Daily Show w/Trevor Noah

Post by Philaflava »

Nobody is replacing John but the first week went better than I anticipated.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: Daily Show w/Trevor Noah

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

he's as good as JS imo. the correspondents are pretty painful right now though. John oliver>>>>
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:he's as good as JS imo.
One of the worst statements ever made on this forum.

Can't bring myself to watch this.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

it's too soon for me to give this a try. I'm still in mourning
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Almost went to a taping yesterday.

As in, waited in line, didn't get in, still can go on a future date with "VIP" status but was able to go to a Nightly Show taping anyway. Win win, I say. I watch that show pretty regularly.

I have only caught the first two episodes and I like what I see thus far. I am curious how the writing is going to change with the evident new batch of correspondents they have on.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

c/s the correspondents are atrocious so far

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Stewart was awful and so is this guy.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:he's as good as JS imo.
One of the worst statements ever made on this forum.
Seriously.
Noah is fine and dandy but he could never be what stewart was.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i liked the show a lot, but stewart was always kinda annoying. he made tons of unfunny "cute" jokes that the audience consistently ate up. the little voices he'd do were among the most egregious, and that gay little crooked smile where he stares silently at the camera for a few secs. trevor noah is much cuter imo.

john oliver has his own annoying peculiarities but he hasn't got to a point yet where they're routinely disruptive. i think trevor noah is so naturally attractive and wavy that he won't have to wade into this hackish territory.
1. Nas
2. Drake

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

going to keep watching faithfully. i made the mistake of sleeping on Stewart for a few years after he took over for Kilborn, obvious mistake.

contextually, i didn't like jon stewart that much as a comedian prior to the daily show. at the time he seemed like a b-level schmo that had too many failed attempts on MTV. he went on to make the daily show one of the most important shows of our generation.

trevor noah, on the other hand, already has a pretty great run as a stand up and a couple really amazing podcast appearances explaining his background that had me interested. i look forward to seeing what he does with the show. that being said, the first week was pretty safe, and i was a little let down with his ducking of the oregon shooting, but his donald trump bit was amazing.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

intuition wrote: and i was a little let down with his ducking of the oregon shooting,
To be fair, by the time they taped the show, the shooting story was about three hours old, and trying to rush a report on it would make them guilty of the same sensationalized rush-to-air journalism that they routinely skewer.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote: To be fair, by the time they taped the show, the shooting story was about three hours old, and trying to rush a report on it would make them guilty of the same sensationalized rush-to-air journalism that they routinely skewer.
valid.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

So are we all ready to admit that Trevor Noah sucks now? The Daily Show has become completely irrelevent. Shit is sad.
At least we have Oliver and Bee.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

It's more of a "who cares?"than straight up bad but, yeah...John Oliver is carrying the torch for sure.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Oliver is already the GOAT imo, but his format is a lil different. Sam bee is most similar to vintage daily show.

I actually like trevor noah but he doesn't know shit about politics. Now that jessica williams has left the show there is no reason to watch.
1. Nas
2. Drake

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

yeah, finally gave up on the daily show. had high hopes for trevor noah because i liked his podcast appearances and special when he first crossed over here, but he has yet to seem comfortable in this format. (edit: oops i said all that in a prior post)

his interviews are shit (every single time "wow oh my god it's really you thank you so much for being here i can't believe it it's crazy")
he laughs at every fucking joke
he's yet to make one effective "oh shit" point (those types of rants that stewart would go viral for all the time, and now oliver does)
he doesn't know how to get out of a bit that's bombing / most of the bits never come to a satisfactory ending

haven't watched samantha bee's show but hear that i'm fucking up by not doing that.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Samantha Bee has been phenomenal.

John Oliver for sure has become standard bearer.

I actually was quite impressed with the post-Orlando response from Trevor Noah. I've been lukewarm to him for the most part, but every now and again he shines. My wife loves him, and so I watch. Good writing team.

Otherwise...I still enjoy watching Wilmore, not for the laughs per se, but for the consistency on the solid coverage of domestic social matters, like that of the insidious shit that just went down, of which is more or less still going down in some form or another.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I think the correspondents on the Daily show aren't helping. They just don't have a super star on the team right now Even Jessica Williams but just Okay to e.
But speaking of bad correspondents, Wilmore's crew is terrible. I like Larry though.

Kace

Post by Kace »

I never really liked the Daily Show, whether it's with Jon Stewart or Trevor Noah. Why do they rarely ridicule liberals? That's just lame.

If you want truly great satire you need to make fun of everyone
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

FUCK YOU NEO-CON BITCH.

but also here's an article that takes a stab at explaining why it's so tough to be conservative and funny:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... rt/385480/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

the Atlantic is full of shit. this is why it's hard for conservatives to be funny (discounting that 'the choir' always thinks their preacher is funny) using politics etc as their subject matter:
because at base conservative ideology right now amounts to using your massive wealth etc to fuck everyone over to suit pretty much only your own purposes. that's not funny. that's dick. only douches and people who yearn to be those douches (thus radiating douchiness themselves) think that stealing water from Africans is actually funny or excusable in and of itself or because some bizarre detached theory of morality etc. and at base western humor (especially in america) is about dealing with injustice and bullshit and trying to find your way through the darkness.

edit how long was this shit? one paragraph? that's why I will never publish anything in the Atlantic. fucking a.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Kace wrote:I never really liked the Daily Show, whether it's with Jon Stewart or Trevor Noah. Why do they rarely ridicule liberals? That's just lame.

Stewart went at liberals all the time if you actually watched the show.
But obviously its easier to ridicule republicans.
The simple answer is because liberals base their beliefs on things like facts and science.
Good satire finds humor in the gaps between reality and fiction. The farther you get from reality, the easier the mark.
Hence, conservatives. Because, you know, facts and shit.

Kace

Post by Kace »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Kace wrote:I never really liked the Daily Show, whether it's with Jon Stewart or Trevor Noah. Why do they rarely ridicule liberals? That's just lame.

Stewart went at liberals all the time if you actually watched the show.
But obviously its easier to ridicule republicans.
The simple answer is because liberals base their beliefs on things like facts and science.
Good satire finds humor in the gaps between reality and fiction. The farther you get from reality, the easier the mark.
Hence, conservatives. Because, you know, facts and shit.
He was still often reticent to relentlessly mock them. It's just all too safe and prudent

South Park on the other hand is a good example of satire that doesn't spare anyone while still offering some intelligent social commentary

Take their last season for example
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Kace

Post by Kace »

intuition wrote:FUCK YOU NEO-CON BITCH.

but also here's an article that takes a stab at explaining why it's so tough to be conservative and funny:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... rt/385480/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol:

Why do you automatically assume I'm a conservative?

Just because I said it's funnier to make fun of both conservatives and liberals?

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

oh my all caps was meant to read as sarcasm.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

jon stewart always admitted his bias, but he'd have a go at obama from time to time.

the conservative counterpart to daily show is o'reilly & them. not pitched as comedy shows, but they are heavy on entertainment. the news content is about equal. this is why i always find it disingenuous when stewart /others fall back on "it's just a comedy show, doesn't matter if we're biased". people go to the show for news.
1. Nas
2. Drake

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

at the same time, it was shown in multiple surveys that daily show viewers were significantly more informed than fox news viewers...only rivaled by NPR listeners as most informed.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

right. it's a real news show. tbh satire is probably a better format for reporting news & politics, rather than "journalistic impartiality" that has never really existed.
1. Nas
2. Drake