Bone Tomahawk (Kurt Russel's mustache hunts indians)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Bone Tomahawk (Kurt Russel's mustache hunts indians)

Post by drizzle »

We mentioned this before in the Hateful 8 thread because of Russel's amazing facial hair but I don't think it ever had a thread of its own. The reviews are good across the board

http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/bo ... 201604748/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://twitchfilm.com/2015/10/fantastic-fest-2015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Ramen

Re: Bone Tomahawk (Kurt Russel's mustache hunts indians)

Post by Ramen »

I don't like any of these actors. Other than that looks cool.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Ramen wrote:I don't like any of these actors. Other than that looks cool.
if you don't like Kurt Russel or Richard Jenkins you should probably just ban yourself from this forum

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

This looks sweet

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

wait a second?

Ramen!

Kurt Russell?

Big Trouble!

Captain Ron!

Snake fuckn' PLISSKIN!

bro! Don't front!

I like the look of this flic. Not overly stylish and it doesn't look like it takes itself serious! like an under-the-radar sleeper hit.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The film was The Searchers meets Cannibal Holocaust.

Impressive directorial debut by Craig Zahler. Superb film.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

This hit torrents.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

This is a decent debut, but I was expecting the movie to unravel in a completely different way having seen the trailer.

It's far too long at two hours, but I understand why that decision was made as it's two different films wrapped into one. The first half is that of the traditional western where we get to know the characters, and that does pay off later as bad things happen and people predictably meet their demise. The second half of the movie is sort of your standard gory horror fare, but it's far more action packed, and that action is pulled off pretty well despite some pretty obvious practical effects in places. I don't want to get into details until more people have seen it.

I think if the director had focused more on making a western horror movie instead of using a two-in-one approach it would have been a much better film, but I think a lot of people on here will like it as it is. You can tell a lot of the budget went towards the actors which you can get away with on a western. It drags at the beginning, and there are some plot holes in places, but all in all it's a decent movie.

6 outta 10.
Last edited by jamrage on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

I guess I liked it way more than you. I didn't mind the "two-in-one approach" since western horror films such as The Burrowers and Exit Humanity from recent years felt way more gimmicky than this. The general dark tone of the film was a constant from start to finish which made the eventual branching out from one genre to another far more organic than those mash-ups. Also I enjoyed watching Kurt Russell and Matthew Fox in badass roles.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I really can't stand Matthew Fox, this was all about Russell and Jenkins for me.

perlman

Post by perlman »

Saw it today. Kinda slow, not great writing the whole way through, but Russel, Jenkins, and the surprising amount of carnage made it a enjoyable watch.
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Surprisingly was kinda disappointed with this. Noble intentions but disjointed and lacking in execution both as a character piece and as exploitation. There's some great acting, Jenkins and Russel shine as expected, even Fox is surprisingly effective. Strong dialogue, even if some of probably looks a lot better on page than it sounds out loud. The gore is pretty fun too.

But these pieces feel like standalone items that don't combine into a coherent whole. Some of the character-oriented set up doesn't even really provide a strong dramatic payoff, especially considering how much running time is spent on it. The gore most exists for the sake of itself, it doesn't really add much to the narrative, not even as a way to raise the stakes for the protagonists. If a little more time was spent establishing the bad guys, eg if stuff like the throat whistle thing and the pregnant women in the end, it might have been more effective.

It doesn't help that the direction is mostly flat and just shy of boring too. Aside from a few nice lighting choices the thing looks pretty pedestrian, which makes the budget constraints more apparent than they need to be. I thought the action scenes at the end were pretty dry too. Even considering they're purposefully matter-of-fact, watching nameless troglodytes just run towards a gun barrel over and over isn't that exciting. Aren't these guys supposed to be masters of lurking or something? It's very obvious that the writer/director is much better at writing words than he is at creating images, and that's a serious detriment here.

I'm making it sound like I totally hated it and that's not really the case, in and of themselves the positives are great and I very much admire the ambition and effort to make something unique. I can see the director doing cool things in the future. But I definitely expected more here.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

The crotch chop scene was :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:
Agree that it's slow but, you know, it's a western. Westerns are slow.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

The pacing didn't actually bother me at all. It's a little too long because the writer has a self-editing problem similar to QT, a more experienced director would've chopped some of it I think. But the talky part where they're moving through the desert might have been my favorite overall, that's where the actors really got to shine and they're the best part of this thing.

Hush

Post by Hush »

All the actors did a good job, including Matthew Fox and Patrick Wilson. Pretty good flick.

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

drizzle wrote:if stuff like the throat whistle thing and the pregnant women in the end, it might have been more effective.
well the whispers were the former candidates still trapped on the island and the island itself is like a bottle of wine...
moved by duck muscles

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

shitty LOST reference
did think fox was great in this tho
moved by duck muscles

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

WE HAVE TO GO BACK KURT

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

so what if this movie was a little slow at times. i loved it.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

Incredibly brutal ‘Brawl in Cell Block 99’ destined to be a cult classic

"Close your eyes when you need to..."

That was the warning of director S. Craig Zahler to the audience at the Fantastic Fest premiere of “Brawl in Cell Block 99,” his follow-up to "Bone Tomahawk." To say this warning was necessary is an understatement. One of the most graphically violent films I've ever watched in my life, this is a wild throwback to classic grindhouse pictures of the 1970s.

Vince Vaughn stars as Bradley Thomas, shaved bald with a giant cross tattoo on the back of his skull -- this is a hulking Vaughn as you've never seen him before. The film begins with him being laid off from his job as a tow truck driver only to get home to find out his wife, Lauren (Jennifer Carpenter), has been having an affair.

He is a man with a unique moral code. Without laying a hand on her, he takes his frustrations out on her car, literally ripping the entire hood off with his bare hands and throwing it across the front yard. It's not exactly a subtle bit of foreshadowing but does give us a sense of what he is capable of.

Out of desperation for his livelihood and to save his marriage, he decides to take an old friend up on a job offer to run drugs. We flash forward 18 months to discover that things have worked out pretty well. They've upgraded to a much nicer home, and his wife is pregnant. Things seem like they're working out, which is exactly how you know they're about to go terribly wrong.

A drug pickup ends in a police shootout, and the incident costs a very powerful man several million dollars in merchandise. Bradley is sent to a minimum security prison but is quickly visited by Udo Kier (credited only as Placid Man) to let him know that his wife has been kidnapped and things are going to be very unpleasant unless he kills an inmate to help cover this lost revenue. The only problem? The mission involves being transferred from his relatively cushy jail cell over to a maximum security facility, and the target is located in cell block 99 - essentially solitary confinement for only the very worst prisoners. You can probably see where this is going now.

Bradley takes out a prison guard (or three) in order to get immediately (and conveniently) transferred to the other prison, and it only gets worse from there. Upon arrival, he is greeted by the sinister Warden Tuggs (Don Johnson) who immediately makes a joke about how the facilities are not approved by Amnesty International. You get the feeling pretty quickly that Guantanamo Bay would be like Club Med compared to these digs.

Keep in mind that it takes nearly an hour to get this point. Zahler's story is layered but could undoubtedly have benefited from some judicious editing. At a bloated 132 minutes, it could easily be at least 30 minutes shorter. But from here on is where fanboys will have a field day.

There are more broken bones and head stompings in this movie than you can really be prepared for. It had the audience at the festival cheering, although two people next to me got up and walked out after the first time an arm was bent backward and snapped in half. And, yes, I said first time. The brutality on display is gleeful and unapologetic and, like it or not, this is destined for cult classic status.

"Brawl in Cell Block 99" will screen again at Fantastic Fest at 8:45 p.m. Sept. 26 and is expected to be released Oct. 13 on VOD. It is unrated, and I can't imagine how much would have to be edited out to earn a proper R-rating from the MPAA.
http://www.austin360.com/entertainment/ ... l1EuSFA5H/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

:face: :face: :face: Can't wait for this.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ It was tremendous.

What a film. So much brutal asskicking, not from start to finish but in swift, devastating blows. Some cool pro-family characterization as well which really ups the stakes as you follow Vaughn descend in to hell. He was excellent too, by the way.

The director is 2/2 and made an even better, I would say much better, film this time around.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

admiral

Post by admiral »

Vaughn was fantastic in this. Really enjoyed the face dragging and limb snapping

Don Johnson's warden needs a spinoff movie out of this

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

This was interesting.

As a pure action/crime drama it's great. Vaughn is absolutely incredible, if the movie becomes popular it might end up as one of his career-defining moments. The script works on action movie logic, but it works. There's a lot of talking but the balance between talking and action is much better managed here than in Bone Tomahawk, and even at 2+ hours the movie flows well and never drags. It could definitely be shorter, but there's not much that feels superfluous in the context of what the director is trying to do. The dialog is mostly good, occasionally even great. The protagonist is incredibly well developed for a lowbudget exploitation outing. The focus is completely on Vaughn at all times so the supporting characters are pretty thin, but these small parts allow for some memorable cameos from great actors.

The action, when it comes, is phenomenal. This might be some of the best fight staging I've ever seen for a movie that isn't specifically about/driven by martial arts. It's purposefully not very stylized but the takes are long and the movements are clear, every hit is felt, the choreography is inventive, and the levels of gore/brutality are off the charts.

I definitely enjoyed it a lot, I want to establish that before the next part....

Here's the weird thing, this movie has a pretty overt Christian right mindset. Granted, action movies always lean right, that's a given. But this feels different from the usual reactionary/jingoistic blueprint of the 70s/80s, it's more like one of those weird independent movies about The Rapture or saving Christmas that are made specifically for red state Christians. The entire plot hinges on Vaughn's character, himself a drug runner, protecting cops from other violent drug runners. There are moments that happen specifically to establish him as a good-ole Southern boy patriot who loves Jesus and the American flag, even when things aren't going right for him. He loves his wife and wants them to have a good marriage, but a good marriage is him saying what goes and her just being there to love him unconditionally and wait for him and give him a child. And then there's the villain who is referred to only as The Abortionist, saying more on that would be a spoiler but the name is telling just in itself.

So I'm torn on this because I don't agree with a lot of it, but the director is obviously entitled to get his views across and there's definitely an audience for them. It's just not what I expected to underpin a really solid movie about faces being smashed and dragged repeatedly against concrete.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

The movie wouldn't have been as good without the rightwing Christian themes. Not just because they're superior values and refreshing in contrast to the leftwing cliches most films revovle around, but they add depth to the characters and the story and really give the feeling that something important is at stake while you watch it. So that subtext is strong enough to leave and impression but at the same time subtle enough to not hammer you over the head with it, which is a tough balance to strike.

Other than that I see a lot of people saying its too long which I don't get at all. And I'm usually someone who thinks pretty much every 2h+ movie is too long.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:The movie wouldn't have been as good without the rightwing Christian themes.
I agree, Regardless of how you feel about this stuff personally, in the context of the movie all this is character development in a character-driven narrative. It provides motivation, makes the stakes tangible, etc. And that's parlays into the running time thing too - yes you can cut scenes here and there, like the cop/flag thing, maybe fasttrack the plot a bit by shaving some of the details from the drug dealing part and the prison part, but you'd end up with something more generic and maybe closer to an Undisputed movie. And there's not really enough action to carry a more generic, less personal story.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I watched it today and thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole right wing conservative angle didn't weigh as heavily to me as it seems to for you guys. Like, sure, he's some sort of "patriot" but there weren't any particularly jarring moments where it felt imposed on the viewer beyond talking shit to those mexicans in the yard.
Aside from that, i squealed with excitement at some of the kills at the end and that, to me, is what it's all about.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Loved it.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

surprised at how much you guys liked this. watched it last night and thought it was incredibly boring and the action was meh at best. maybe the amazon prime streaming version telegraphed the camera trickery? some of the choreography looked corny as fuck and the smashed faces looked SUPER fake

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

let me know when you find a low budget action movie where a caved-in head looks in any way realistic