Better Call Saul

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re: Better Call Saul S2 (Premiers 02/15)

Post by capable_keL »

Cryptic One wrote:easter egg of sorts... re-arrange this seasons episode titles... first letters of each spells "Fring's Back"

confirmed by creators... gotta love the interwebz
:ohhh:

that's a very crypic decipher, bro
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Cryptic One

Post by Cryptic One »

capable_keL wrote:
Cryptic One wrote:easter egg of sorts... re-arrange this seasons episode titles... first letters of each spells "Fring's Back"

:cheers:

i wish i was capable of figuring this shit out myself... im just a nerd that watched the stupid "Talking Saul" show where they talked about it

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Cryptic One wrote:
capable_keL wrote:

:cheers:

i wish i was capable of figuring this shit out myself... im just a nerd that watched the stupid "Talking Saul" show where they talked about it
Talking saul is so horrible, but I admittingly watched it too :owens:

Kace

Post by Kace »

'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

crap finale

entirely predictable that Jimmy was being recorded

if the Gus thing is true then they should have left more in-episode clues, otherwise there's no payoff until S3 and that's not how a finale works.

this is quickly devolving into unmemorable television.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Yeah I thought the whole season was kinda dull tbh. Great characters, good acting, but the story just crawls.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

had a bad feeling about the season after 4 episodes so i gave up watching it weekly and figure i'll binge it when it comes out on netflix.

glad to hear i wasn't the only one feeling the decline.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Good points made, if this was like a weekly show that never took a break or way more episodes a season, the slow burn would be more understandable or easier to deal with

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

tehgiftofgab wrote:Good points made, if this was like a weekly show that never took a break or way more episodes a season, the slow burn would be more understandable or easier to deal with
Yeah, it's not that I don't like the show, but there needs to be way more episodes to justify the slow burn.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Yep, that 2nd season was pretty so-so. Saul's brother being a hypochrondriac and a piece of shit works but I want to see how more of the plots play out with that law large firm, that blonde chick, and Gustavo.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

alpha

Post by alpha »

Chuck is such a POS glad Kim called him out in in ep 9. Agreed the season was a bit slow but I'm not down on it like everyone else. Caught the second half the last few days.

dilla7

Post by dilla7 »

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Thank fucking Christ. Just started a Breaking Bad marathon, then I'll follow that up with a Better Call Saul marathon, and that should lead me right into this shit.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Better Call Saul

Post by drizzle »

Pretty good season premiere if you liked the show up to now. The Jimmy and Chunk things are still impeccably observed but interminably slow, Mike being a black ops McGuyver is still the funnest thing/the show's crutch to counterbalance the slowburn of the other plot lines.

Howard is still randomly my favorite character in this
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Premiere was typical better call Saul, it was like the show never even went in hiatus. Everything was picked up meticulously and seamlessly in trademark better call Saul slow burn fashion. However, I constantly jump back and forth from each side of the fence in my head on whether this is a good or a bad thing. It's maddening, but anyone still around at this point is going to stick this one out for the duration. I think I've accepted that Jimmy is not going to turn into Saul Goodman and things aren't going to get "really exciting this season". I now am under the line of thinking that we won't see Saul until the series finale, and that's that.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

loved the opening sequence with cinnabon gene

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Is it possible the reason it's such a slow burn is because Gilligan doesn't know how or when he wants the series to end?

How many other prequel type shows are there? The faster they move things the quicker they get to season 1 of breaking bad or whatever

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

What are Chuck's plans for the tape? His mission is to destroy Jimmy's legal career

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

really liking this season.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

fucking chuck....he baited jimmy. Seeing jimmy in orange is setting the stage for a great story line.

As far as Gus: he looks like he did in the BB series, so I'm excited; but, he is nothing more than a footnote in the current story line.

kim wexler, howard, chuck and hhm need resolution

new season gets 3 1/2 microphones

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

First episode was solid, second was a classic, had everything the show does best in spades.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Second episode was pretty damn amazing. Chuck is the worst

Kace

Post by Kace »

Yeah awesome second episode. It's also great we get to see Gus at the start of the season already. I thought they were going to drag that out as long as possible
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Gotta give them credit, they managed to make the least surprising/most predictable reveal feel taut and suspenseful. You knew they were going to do this with out of focus/partially obscured 'you already know but we're still not going to tell you' theatrics, and I audibly groaned at the slow pullback that dramatically revealed the big Pollos Hermanos sign after it was already very obvious where the dude went. But watching Mike's investigation/surveilance is almost an ASMR thing at this point, and Jimmy made that scene inside the restaurant. The fact that it was his overeager snooping that gave away the surveillance was a really great way to use established character traits to advance the bigger plot. Gus himself was pretty secondary in all this, it was about the process of getting to Gus.

Really loved the last scene too, again because of how they've built it around established character traits. Chuck revealing himself more and more as nearly sociopathic manipulator under the pretext of righteousness juxtaposed with Jimmy's honest and well meaning crookedness, Harold's balance of pragmatism and general decency, even the sweetly lunkheaded PI, all employed with surgical precision. This kind of payoff makes the slow crawl worthwhile.

A small detail but linking the 'just give me a dollar .... ok I'm your lawyer now' thing back to Kim was sweet too

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

drizzle wrote:Gotta give them credit, they managed to make the least surprising/most predictable reveal feel taut and suspenseful. You knew they were going to do this with out of focus/partially obscured 'you already know but we're still not going to tell you' theatrics, and I audibly groaned at the slow pullback that dramatically revealed the big Pollos Hermanos sign after it was already very obvious where the dude went. But watching Mike's investigation/surveilance is almost an ASMR thing at this point, and Jimmy made that scene inside the restaurant. The fact that it was his overeager snooping that gave away the surveillance was a really great way to use established character traits to advance the bigger plot. Gus himself was pretty secondary in all this, it was about the process of getting to Gus.

Really loved the last scene too, again because of how they've built it around established character traits. Chuck revealing himself more and more as nearly sociopathic manipulator under the pretext of righteousness juxtaposed with Jimmy's honest and well meaning crookedness, Harold's balance of pragmatism and general decency, even the sweetly lunkheaded PI, all employed with surgical precision. This kind of payoff makes the slow crawl worthwhile.

A small detail but linking the 'just give me a dollar .... ok I'm your lawyer now' thing back to Kim was sweet too
Gotta agree with the Pollos Hermanos sign reveal being corny. It seemed out of place for the show in general.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote: Gotta agree with the Pollos Hermanos sign reveal being corny. It seemed out of place for the show in general.
it did, big melodramatic reveals don't really fit a show that moves this slowly and deliberately

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I am digging this season. Sometimes they do stuff that annoys me. Showing Jimmy peel back the painters tape like that for what felt like 10 minutes was heavy handed. The story is awesome tho.

zombie

Post by zombie »

i dont think frings appearance was a big appearance at all.

also, chuck is such a piece of shit, but so is jimmy

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

zombie wrote:i dont think frings appearance was a big appearance at all.

also, chuck is such a piece of shit, but so is jimmy
Jimmy is obviously no Saint, but chuck is a much bigger piece of shit than Jimmy.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

in hindsight(maybe foresight in this case) Gus should have went with a bullet to Hector's head