10 Cloverfield Lane (surprise Cloverfield sequel apparently)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

10 Cloverfield Lane (surprise Cloverfield sequel apparently)

Post by drizzle »

somebody in the youtube comments was dead on in saying this is a lot like Desmond in the hatch in the opening of Lost S2
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

LilLeftBrain

Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane (surprise Cloverfield sequel apparen

Post by LilLeftBrain »

yeah, thought about dez in the hatch near immediately. fist pumped when the title popped
moved by duck muscles

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

was expecting the trailer to be a lot less rapey

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

Will be seeing this

Cloverfield was one of my favorite theater experiences ever, i know this might not be the sequel but it's Bad Robot so it should be good
Last edited by Truth. on Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

I'm worried that we've seen the whole film here, but I'm excited for it nonetheless. John Goodman is great when he's allowed to really cut loose.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

in. goddamnit jj!

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Tommy Bunz wrote:was expecting the trailer to be a lot less rapey
yeah where the aliens at

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

This would be way better if they hadn't killed off hipster Lizzy Caplan in the first.

SYM

Post by SYM »

i recall being super involved in the original cloverfield thread from eight years ago. i feel a renaissance has emerged, i.e. the whole theorizing rabbit hole that i went down. it's not conducive to offline productivity whatsoever so i'll definitely try keeping it less involved this go aorund.

that said there'll be aliens out there for sure. "blood relative" definitely implies same universe.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

SYM wrote:i recall being super involved in the original cloverfield thread from eight years ago. i feel a renaissance has emerged, i.e. the whole theorizing rabbit hole that i went down. it's not conducive to offline productivity whatsoever so i'll definitely try keeping it less involved this go aorund.

that said there'll be aliens out there for sure. "blood relative" definitely implies same universe.
Whats your theory on how the aliens have become the master race and forced humans underground?

SYM

Post by SYM »

I don't think it's about a theory on the aliens. I think it just makes sense to continue the story from another angle.

Eerie foreshadowing in the Cloverfield thread btw:
jamrage wrote:A sequel of the same monster using different cameras would suck, and it's laughable that would even be considered. I think you have to go with a more traditional movie next time. Would love to see another monster make groundfall and fight the first. Pretty sure we'll see a sequel after the cryptic shit at the very end and the fact that this movie is going to make its entire budget back on the very weekend. Would be fine with it if they decided not to make a sequel as well.
Trademark wrote:I agree with you, like I said a sequel with just another camera would be an absolute waste of time. But I couldn't put it past JJ Abrams who did some amazing things with lost kind of in the same vein with stories having new meanings from different perspectives..
There are a few theorizing articles that focus on the easter eggs from that trailer. Like the Dinner sign. Why the one guy has a sling on his arm. What's in the barrel. Why Goodman is crazy.

For the record that thing falling from the sky at the end of Cloverfield is a satellite.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Was thunking one of those 'lice' parasite things from the monster might be in the barrel

SYM

Post by SYM »

Alternate Reality Game, anyone?

http://swamp-pop.myshopify.com/collecti ... ter-supply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a 15 year ration of assorted flavors, specially packaged for extended periods of dry storage—for when there doesn't seem to be anyone around. Available by special request only.
The soda bottle featured in the trailer is evidently made by Swamp Pop, and subsequently they're getting in on the fun. Note that the price is $4813, by no random coincidence the same number punched in for the jukebox song, which is also quoted up there because WHY NOT.

the subreddit updates, be damned!

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... post_from/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

SYM

Post by SYM »

i'd honestly be happy to believe all that, if only to go into seeing this with low expectations and then just be completely surprised.

should all this end up being is a chamber play with emphasis on end of the world paranoia, it will play right into to the directive abrams is touting.

so maybe no aliens. but death and destruction? most certainly.

seagrams hotsauce

I dunno, the thing that I liked about the first one was how they teased the monster and didn't give you a real look at it until basically the last scene. I was hoping the trailer was being coy about showing too much since the first one did the same, but if it's a movie primarily set in a bunker, my interest wanes quickly.

SYM

Post by SYM »

:killacam:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

if this is a movie about how an insane survivalist was essentially right but still an insane asshole, I'm with it. that's a way more interesting spin on monster movies than 'what if we film this with a shaky cam'

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

regardless, will be the first time i enter a movie theatre in months and months
moved by duck muscles

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

More I see, the more it reminds me of The Divide.

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

LilLeftBrain wrote:regardless, will be the first time i enter a movie theatre in months and months
too good for the star wars?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

abso-lutely
moved by duck muscles

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Lol way to cover your ass Abrams.... there's gonna be a barrel of toxic sludge in a corner of a shot somewhere and that's gonna turn out to be the thing that the japanese company from the viral videos dumped into the ocean that eventually made the monster from the first movie

Still into it tho, no question

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/27/j-j-abr ... erfield-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last month, when Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot Productions dropped a surprise trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane, some people assumed it was a sequel to 2008's Cloverfield. Over the past several weeks, we've learned that it isn't a Cloverfield sequel, however, it will have connections to the original film.

“This movie is very purposefully not called Cloverfield 2, because it’s not Cloverfield 2,” producer J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) told Fandango, adding that “the association is clear and there are multiple connections – and there is a bigger idea at play for us with these movies and this connection.”

Abrams, a man that loves his secrecy, is keeping a tight lid on those connections. However, he did eliminate one possible connection by revealing that the "Cloverfield monster isn’t in this movie."

“And the fun of it is that some of these connections – and there’s a lot of them – are not the kind of connections you might think,” Abrams continued. So if you’re approaching it as a literal sequel, you’ll be surprised to see what this movie is. But while it’s not what you might expect from a movie that has the name Cloverfield in it, I think you’ll find that you’ll understand the connection when you see the whole thing.”

The film was directed by Dan Trachtenberg, and written by Josh Campbell and Matthew Stuecken. It stars John Goodman, John Gallagher Jr., and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

10 Cloverfield Lane, a new film from J.J. Abrams. In theatres March 11, 2016.

SYM

Post by SYM »

This is jj's first film since everyone in the world saw star wars. People are going to go into this extremely excited and will subsequently leave extremely disappointed.

I do like the indication that this is stripping away the normal concept of a "sequel." I'm still in. Hopefully opening night.

The Reddit page must be going cuckoo bananas right now.

seagrams hotsauce

drizzle wrote:Lol way to cover your ass Abrams.... there's gonna be a barrel of toxic sludge in a corner of a shot somewhere and that's gonna turn out to be the thing that the japanese company from the viral videos dumped into the ocean that eventually made the monster from the first movie

Still into it tho, no question

http://comicbook.com/2016/02/27/j-j-abr ... erfield-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last month, when Paramount Pictures and Bad Robot Productions dropped a surprise trailer for 10 Cloverfield Lane, some people assumed it was a sequel to 2008's Cloverfield. Over the past several weeks, we've learned that it isn't a Cloverfield sequel, however, it will have connections to the original film.

“This movie is very purposefully not called Cloverfield 2, because it’s not Cloverfield 2,” producer J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) told Fandango, adding that “the association is clear and there are multiple connections – and there is a bigger idea at play for us with these movies and this connection.”

Abrams, a man that loves his secrecy, is keeping a tight lid on those connections. However, he did eliminate one possible connection by revealing that the "Cloverfield monster isn’t in this movie."

“And the fun of it is that some of these connections – and there’s a lot of them – are not the kind of connections you might think,” Abrams continued. So if you’re approaching it as a literal sequel, you’ll be surprised to see what this movie is. But while it’s not what you might expect from a movie that has the name Cloverfield in it, I think you’ll find that you’ll understand the connection when you see the whole thing.”

The film was directed by Dan Trachtenberg, and written by Josh Campbell and Matthew Stuecken. It stars John Goodman, John Gallagher Jr., and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

10 Cloverfield Lane, a new film from J.J. Abrams. In theatres March 11, 2016.

That reddit post I linked to basically says that this had absolutely nothing to do with the first one until they decided to market it as a sequel, and then went back and shot stuff to tie it in. Apparently they shot it a while ago and haven't had any idea what to do with it until they tacked on the Cloverfield name.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

enthusiastically positive review, basically confirms that there's almost no direct link to the og movie

http://screencrush.com/10-cloverfield-lane-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SYM

Post by SYM »

My buddy said it best after what was a unanimous satisfactory cinematic experience.
"Like Room meets Independence Day."
I was really into it, likely because I managed to overlook all the speculation.

Goodman can do no wrong.

SYM

Post by SYM »

c'mon, truth, drizzle, leftbrain, anyone else check this?

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

nada yet!
moved by duck muscles

Versive

Post by Versive »

I loved it, my brother hated it. If you're expecting a monster movie or a sequel by any conventional means, you'll be terribly disappointed.