Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (D: Gareth Edwards)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Truth.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (D: Gareth Edwards)

Post by Truth. »

Spartan

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (D: Gareth Edwards)

Post by Spartan »

Dope.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Kinda underwhelming trailer honestly. Not nearly as good as the Episode VII trailer.
Still all in regardless.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Oh yah another female focused lead and a ninja added to the script to.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

100% certain I will like this more than TFA, which I liked a lot too. Been waiting for a sw that doesn't revolve around a skywalker for like 20 years
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

We'll see if they'll stick to it being a non-Skywalker story. I'm not 100% convinced just yet.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

I'm not seeing a lot of light sabers
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

capable_keL wrote:I'm not seeing a lot of light sabers

Ain't no Jedis son.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

drizzle wrote:100% certain I will like this more than TFA, which I liked a lot too. Been waiting for a sw that doesn't revolve around a skywalker for like 20 years
also holding your breath for a dune movie that doesn't revolve around an atreides ?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
drizzle wrote:100% certain I will like this more than TFA, which I liked a lot too. Been waiting for a sw that doesn't revolve around a skywalker for like 20 years
also holding your breath for a dune movie that doesn't revolve around an atreides ?
Star Wars has no single origin source. Dune is a single adaptation of a specific book. Expecting that book to be adapted in a new way with a different focus is dumb.

However the extended universe of Dune by now includes a shitload of prequels inspired by Herbert's worldbuidling details, some of which have only a tangential relation to Paul's storyline or none at all. I would absolutely love to see some of those adapted.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

haven't read any books besides the first one, but the second bbc series covers (i believe) the second book. it has some interesting ideas but you can already sense the magic deteriorating. at some point herbert's son starting writing and apparently those ones are terrible.

back to SW: they're definitely giving up some of what made the other movies special, but hopefully this provides some room to do something new. who am i kidding, this looks like a basic ass blockbuster and forrest whittaker looks retarded.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Mildly interested. I'd rather a movie about Ahsoka Tano.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Some of you are fucking crazy.

You've got old school stormtroopers, AT-ATs and Imperial Star Destroyers, Forest Whitaker on some mentor shit, Ben Mendelsohn in Grand Admiral Thrawn gear, and Donnie Yen being his usual bad ass self. They even got some ginger bird who looks spot on like Mon Mothma. On top of all that, a hooded up dude looking like he's about to make a holo call to Palpatine that doesn't look like Vader (which makes me suspect it could be a younger Snoke). All that wonderful shit and you're worried over the lack of lightsabers, or that you wanna see a movie about a boob tube wearing shitty padowan who didn't make fuck all sense being taught by Anakin Skywalker.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Donnie Yen is dope but where does a ninja fit in this story? GI Joe, sure, Star Wars tho?

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

We had an entire SW trilogy where Jedi were busting moves like they were straight out of a Godfrey Ho flick. Donnie Yen could do that shit in a Dalai Lama biopic and he would still get a free pass from me.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Yeah I don't consider those prequels apart of the franchise. As far as I'm concerned there has only been 4 SW movies. I really do love Yen, but it's weird seeing a predated movie with some samurai doing shit. Other than that, they're making this feel real authentic.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Spartan wrote:Some of you are fucking crazy.

You've got old school stormtroopers, AT-ATs and Imperial Star Destroyers, Forest Whitaker on some mentor shit, Ben Mendelsohn in Grand Admiral Thrawn gear, and Donnie Yen being his usual bad ass self. They even got some ginger bird who looks spot on like Mon Mothma. On top of all that, a hooded up dude looking like he's about to make a holo call to Palpatine that doesn't look like Vader (which makes me suspect it could be a younger Snoke). All that wonderful shit and you're worried over the lack of lightsabers, or that you wanna see a movie about a boob tube wearing shitty padowan who didn't make fuck all sense being taught by Anakin Skywalker.
Cause we know how the story ends. I bet she gets the plans..........

Watch your mouth about Ahsoka lil biaaatch.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

prequels>> force awakens
prequels>>> ROTJ
1. Nas
2. Drake

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Meh I have ROTS > ROTJ

Force Awakens is right about on par with ROTJ

Can't say the same about Phantom Menace or Clones.
UBM CD COMING SOON

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

ewan mcgregor is by far the best actor in the series
1. Nas
2. Drake

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Spartan wrote:We had an entire SW trilogy where Jedi were busting moves like they were straight out of a Godfrey Ho flick. Donnie Yen could do that shit in a Dalai Lama biopic and he would still get a free pass from me.
:phila: Movie Poster material :lol:

zappy

Post by zappy »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
KOTOR man, KOTOR.

zappy

Post by zappy »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:haven't read any books besides the first one, but the second bbc series covers (i believe) the second book. it has some interesting ideas but you can already sense the magic deteriorating. at some point herbert's son starting writing and apparently those ones are terrible.

back to SW: they're definitely giving up some of what made the other movies special, but hopefully this provides some room to do something new. who am i kidding, this looks like a basic ass blockbuster and forrest whittaker looks retarded.
read the first six. 1 is GOAT, 2 is good, 3-4-5 are weird good to varying degrees, and (spoiler).
mostly focused around duncan idaho clones, who are i guess atreides but not bloodline really idk they're clones and shit gets really weird.
6 shit was getting really, really good again and going in a new and interesting direction and then he died oh well.

started reading those prequels but they are so so so very different in tone and while good i had just finished reading the original 6 and i kinda had to put them down. may try again at some point.

zappy

Post by zappy »

the prequels were shit, but got less shitty with each movie.

episode 1 was a steaming pile of hot garbage meant to sell pod racing toys and videogames. terrible terrible movie.

just terrible.

if i had seen episode two at a theater i would have wanted my money back. at home on TV, whatever. as long as i have enough beer to make it through.

episode 3 was okay-ish. still wouldnt have been happy if i had spent $15 to see it at a theater, but it's fine i guess at home, but only once. have no urge to see this movie ever again.

force awakens was good, a few too many Image moments, and the plot ripoff was kinda lazy, but still a better movie by far than any of the prequels. will probably see this movie again in 5-10 years.

original trilogy i will watch any time. empire strikes back > new hope > return of the jedi.

best star wars product by far is Knights of the Old Republic. Fantastic game. I will sink another 30 hours into this game in a year or two probably (for the third or fourth time). And i'll probably be playing it until i die. thanks steam.

if they make a kotor movie i will full on geek out, we're talking hundreds of dollars in $ and time to make a costume, waiting in line for opening day theater tickets, the whole nine yards.

Kace

Post by Kace »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:prequels>> force awakens
prequels>>> ROTJ
ROTS obviously is an epic movie. I won't lie, I even liked Attack Of The Clones.

When that movie came out, right in between the 911 attacks and the Iraq war, some people thought that the story about Palpatine staging false-flag terrorist attacks in order to gain extra-judicial powers and become a dictator was an analogy to Bush's policies at that time.

But the funny thing is George Lucas already had the script of that movie ready in the year 2000. In fact, Lucas included that storyline about false-flag terrorist attacks in the original script of New Hope around 1975 but later scratched it.

He was probably inspired or influenced by some of the conspiracy theories floating around during the 1970s concerning terrorist attacks that hit Italy and were allegedly tied to Operation Gladio, several high Italian government officials, the Vatican, Freemasons and the Maffia. Coppola also alludes to these conspiracy theories in the Godfsther 3 and as we know Coppola was Lucas' mentor back then (right before he made the first Star Wars movie).
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

obi wan & qui gon jinn 2v1 vs darth maul is my fav fight in the series. great choreography, acrobatics, drama. haven't watched the actual movie since 1999 but i youtube that scene often.
episode 1 was a steaming pile of hot garbage meant to sell pod racing toys and videogames. terrible terrible movie.
what would be sadder -- and possibly true -- is if ep1 wasn't a cash-in, but an accurate manifestation of lukas' greatest artistic aspirations.........
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

@zap

might peep dune 2, honestly i'm pretty happy with how the first book ended. there is no way i'm ever going to read so much as a foreword by dude's disappointment of a son tho.... in the mean time my roomie lent me some books by ursula K le guin, "the word for world is forest" was pretty sick.
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Kace wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:prequels>> force awakens
prequels>>> ROTJ
ROTS obviously is an epic movie. I won't lie, I even liked Attack Of The Clones.

When that movie came out, right in between the 911 attacks and the Iraq war, some people thought that the story about Palpatine staging false-flag terrorist attacks in order to gain extra-judicial powers and become a dictator was an analogy to Bush's policies at that time.

But the funny thing is George Lucas already had the script of that movie ready in the year 2000. In fact, Lucas included that storyline about false-flag terrorist attacks in the original script of New Hope around 1975 but later scratched it.

He was probably inspired or influenced by some of the conspiracy theories floating around during the 1970s concerning terrorist attacks that hit Italy and were allegedly tied to Operation Gladio, several high Italian government officials, the Vatican, Freemasons and the Maffia. Coppola also alludes to these conspiracy theories in the Godfsther 3 and as we know Coppola was Lucas' mentor back then (right before he made the first Star Wars movie).
or, you know, the fact that nazis staged the reichstag burning...
1. Nas
2. Drake

zappy

Post by zappy »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:@zap

might peep dune 2, honestly i'm pretty happy with how the first book ended. there is no way i'm ever going to read so much as a foreword by dude's disappointment of a son tho.... in the mean time my roomie lent me some books by ursula K le guin, "the word for world is forest" was pretty sick.
yeah you should definitely read 2.

i'm probably gonna have to reread all 6 at some point though. 3-4-5 i might appreciate more now that i'm older.

zappy

Post by zappy »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:obi wan & qui gon jinn 2v1 vs darth maul is my fav fight in the series. great choreography, acrobatics, drama. haven't watched the actual movie since 1999 but i youtube that scene often.

yeah, i have never really watched movies for fight scenes. not that i dislike them, that is just never a pull for me, and movies that rely almost totally on them are not usually my thing.

that goes double for Epic Battle Scenes. maybe triple. maybe more.
what would be sadder -- and possibly true -- is if ep1 wasn't a cash-in, but an accurate manifestation of lukas' greatest artistic aspirations.........
fucking bleak.