Current state of Nonfiction Cinema

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Current state of Nonfiction Cinema

Post by Trademark »

Nonfiction is in a fucking GOLDEN age right now. There are greater and more varied platforms for this type of storytelling, short form has become wildly popular, HBO has programmed it and given it a digital platform on HBOGO and HBONOW, and on demand services like Sundance Documentary Club have shown that people have no issue paying for strict nonfiction content. Not to mention OJ Made in America for ESPN, Making a Murderer on Netflix, and the ESPN 30 for 30 series. Of course I'm biased, it's what I do for a living, but I wonder about the :phila: 's documentary habits? Do you all consume nonfiction regularly? Some bad ass shit I've seen recently, not sure if ya'll give a fuck:

Leviathan

A Western

Cartel Land

Body Team 12

Armor of Light

Trapped

The Messenger

Spartan

Re: Current state of Nonfiction Cinema

Post by Spartan »

I've been meaning to check out Cartel Land out on Netflix.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

I think you're absolutely right. I don't think documentaries have had a bigger audience, and been putting out such entertaining material than they are right now. For the most part this real medium's role is to challenge us, or to help us delve into an issue. As this these docs start to fill the role of fiction movies, I wonder what impact they actually have on that large audience. Does the audience care, or do they just see it like a movie? Do they post about it on social media (Blackfish is still responsible for most of the anti-seaworld sentiments on my facebook feed) and move on?
I'm really getting inspired to move away from news and get into long form, be it video or audio/podcast format.

All of those trailers are intriguing. The trailer for Liviathan is intense and the way it's shot is really captivating. It seems like it's taking POV/gopro type of shots to another level of story telling.
Here's a few recent films I really enjoyed.

These two are a little older but when I think of great non-fiction films they come to find immediately.

Buy my mixtape.

ric

Post by ric »

cartel land interrupters and leviathan. dope. thanks. as far as golden age goes as disconnected as I am it still seems like the same shit it's always been. a bunch of whateverish stuff and a few gems. at least one in my list above above will disappoint or get preachy or possibly lose its center of gravity etc etc