The most important SHERLOCK HOLMES thread

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

darkwingduck

The most important SHERLOCK HOLMES thread

Post by darkwingduck »

Getting older, I am starting to see the appeal of Sherlock Holmes and his many adventures. I clearly see him influencing Flemings Bond and countless other super sleuth characters since. I have a back log of books Im going through and some of Sir Authur Conan Doyle's stories are on queue to getting read. With the resurgence of popularity thanks to the BBC series as well as the "meh" (still watching) series on Fox Mondays "houdini and doyle", I have been on a hunt for some of the finer SHERLOCK HOLMES movies out there. The movies listed here are by no means a definitive complete list (obviously). As a matter of fact, I'm hoping that others with chime in with some recommendations. I haven't seen the latest movies with Law and Downy Jr. and would like to hold off on them before I discover more from the vaults. Below are the ones that I have found and love every one of them. The PRIVATE LIFE being the stand out for me...

Would love to find more :sherlock:

The Great Mouse Detective

In Victorian London, England, a little mouse girl's toymaker father is abducted by a peglegged bat. She enlists the aid of Basil of Baker Street, the rodent world's answer to Sherlock Holmes. The case expands as Basil uncovers the crime's link to a plot against the Crown itself.

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Returning to his family's manor house on the lonely moors after his father dies under mysterious circumstances, Sir Henry Baskerville is confronted with the mystery of the supernatural hound that supposedly takes revenge upon the Baskerville family. The famous detective Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr. Watson are brought in to investigate.

Murder by Decree

Sherlock Holmes investigates London's most infamous case, Jack the Ripper. As he investigates, he finds that the Ripper has friends in high places.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

Director Billy Wilder adds a new and intriguing twist to the personality of intrepid detective Sherlock Holmes. One thing hasn't changed however: Holmes' crime-solving talents. Holmes and Dr. Watson take on the case of a beautiful woman whose husband has vanished. The investigation proves strange indeed, involving six missing midgets, villainous monks, a Scottish castle, the Loch Ness monster, and covert naval experiments. Can the sleuths make sense of all this and solve the mystery?

The Seven-Per-Cent Solution

Concerned about his friend's cocaine use, Dr. Watson tricks Sherlock Holmes into travelling to Vienna, where Holmes enters the care of Sigmund Freud. Freud attemts to solve the mysteries of Holmes' subconscious, while Holmes devotes himself to solving a mystery involving the kidnapping of Lola Deveraux.

alpha

Re: The most important SHERLOCK HOLMES thread

Post by alpha »

I kept up with elementary for a couple seasons and then gave up because CBS produces crap.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i enjoyed reading the books when i was a kid.

ric

Post by ric »

been a huge fan since I was a kid. get the Barnes and Noble set. it's two thick books.

I haven't seen the newer stuff and I'm weary about the American show but hear the newer BBC one is good

but invest in the complete Jeremy Brett sherlock Holmes set it's not that expensive iirc. grit your teeth for the first season or two but once Watson changes it signifies a sea-change for the show and the complete set comes with four feature lengthish episodes (80-120 min). Jeremy Brett is the most accurate Holmes I've seen considering both the obvious and non obvious idiosyncrasies. like Rathbone of course makes a good Holmes. but he's missing the eccentricity intensity etc that is the Holmes of the sir arthur Conan Doyle set

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Not a fan of Billy Wilder's Holmes film. Hammer's The Hound of the Baskervilles and Murder by Decree are my personal picks. Worth noting another Holmes Vs Jack the Ripper flick, A Study in Terror is also pretty good. It's not a patch on Bob Clarke's film, but it's worth checking out for its badass cast.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Big big fan of Study in Terror, although maybe more for the way that it folds Holmes into a 60s pulp adventure than a specific adaptation of the character. Didn't realize it predates Murder by Decree by 14 years, that's surprising.

I'm really curious about Mr Holmes, still haven't gotten around to it. McKellen is a g and it's rare to see a Holmes story set in his later 'retired to bee keeping' years, especially if loosing his powers with age is a part of it.

Of the two Downey Jr movies, I though the first was fun and a neat way to adapt the character for the age of blockbusters, but the second one was a pretty average sequel.

The Cumberbatch show is definitely my favorite modern adaptation by far but I'd still love for somebody to do a proper, straight-forward, period and source accurate adaptation, without trying to be cute or tongue in cheek about it. Put a tall assholish dude in the hat, give him a regular dude as a foil, have him track Moriarty through early-industrial London and that's it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I highly recommend the OG Hound of the Baskervilles from 1939.
It's actually the first of a series of movies with Basil Rathbone as Holmes, they made 14 of them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes_(1939_film_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

ric

Post by ric »

@drizzle
mr Holmes with mckellan was actually pretty dope and you'll want to see it. but only after you're steeped in the lore. you'll miss some important subtleties. an impressive and enjoyable movie.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

oh man spartan! Excellent rec on THE STUDY OF TERROR. just watched the opening credits. Def. looks dope!

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

Spartan wrote:Not a fan of Billy Wilder's Holmes film. Hammer's The Hound of the Baskervilles and Murder by Decree are my personal picks. Worth noting another Holmes Vs Jack the Ripper flick, A Study in Terror is also pretty good. It's not a patch on Bob Clarke's film, but it's worth checking out for its badass cast.

just ordered this but realized that its a REGION 2 BR. shit. Anybody know of a way I can watch?

Also found out that Miazaki had an entire Sherlock Holmes series...holy shit! I didn't know that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

holy shit I think I've seen this when I was little but completely forgot it exists until your post

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

drizzle wrote:holy shit I think I've seen this when I was little but completely forgot it exists until your post
i see that all episodes are up on youtube...

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I just started the BBC series, liking it so far.

Study in Terror looks pretty ill, gonna try and catch that.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

darkwingduck wrote:
drizzle wrote:holy shit I think I've seen this when I was little but completely forgot it exists until your post
i see that all episodes are up on youtube...
Started watching it last night and it's about as good as you'd expect from Miyazaki doing a kid-oriented take on the source material. Flambyant Wolf Moriarty was fucking killing me

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

hahaha wolf Moriarity is hilarious and a huge asshole. The series is great. Im plowing through the series with my 10 year olds who cant get enough.

somewhere along the way, Miazaki isn't involved.

i think i lucked out as the STUDY IN TERROR BR I ordered from amazon actually plays. About to pop it in.

darkwingduck

Post by darkwingduck »

ayyy. found another Sherlock Holmes flick that is pretty great so far. Haven't finished, but its def. worth a watch. Reviews on amazon rave about this as being one of the best.

Also, I finally folded and got the Guy Ritchie movies. Watched the first, looking to watch the sequel this weekend.