The Night Of (HBO Miniseries)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

samdoom

The Night Of (HBO Miniseries)

Post by samdoom »

This show is fire. Discuss.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Re: The Night Of (HBO Miniseries)

Post by intuition »

think it's too soon to say after one episode. episode was frustrating cuz dude was fucking up so frequently, also frustrating that they premiered it 3 weeks ago and still haven't put out a new episode.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I definitely was into it. Agreed that they fumbled the release though.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Great start. Just as much as Naz seemingly fucked up at every turn, it appears the cops did as well. Did they read him his miranda rights? Keeping him in the car isn't going to fly in court. Desk clerk guy already pointed out the knife/evidence was mishandled.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I'm in, great premiere. Was it me or does his dad look too young to be his dad?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ thought the same thing

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Brougham33 wrote:Great start. Just as much as Naz seemingly fucked up at every turn, it appears the cops did as well. Did they read him his miranda rights? Keeping him in the car isn't going to fly in court. Desk clerk guy already pointed out the knife/evidence was mishandled.
I think people commenting on Naz "fucking up" is almost implying that they believe he is the culprit. If he isn't the culprit, like the show intends to make us believe, not really sure its fair for us to think he should have made every prudent step that a seasoned and strategic criminal would make. Clearly he did some dumb things, but I think his panicked responses make him a more endearing and likely more innocent character.

As for reading someone Miranda rights- it is only relevant if the person has been arrested and if they are being questioned. It also only applies to statements made, not observations of the defendant or things they consented to being taken (i.e., the samples of his blood, etc.). If he makes comments without being questioned, they can usually admit those statements.

As for keeping him in the car- that's a gray area. He was technically being detained and wasn't formally arrested at that point. Arguably when he says "is she dead?" or whatever during the transport, it would be the "fruit of the poisonous tree" as it was derived from the potentially inappropriate detention, but if he was ok to have been in the car and he said it without being questioned, the statement is likely admissible.

The evidence being mishandled will very likely be a key point later on. Chain of custody for evidence is integral to a case.

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

i think the comments referencing naz fucking up have more to do with the ridiculously stupid shit he does once he's in the house.
i turned it off once the police got involved.
am i to believe that the show gets better?

Versive

Post by Versive »

Anyone else feel like the 2nd ep dragged a bit? Turturro's eczema is an odd character trait.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Versive wrote:Anyone else feel like the 2nd ep dragged a bit? Turturro's eczema is an odd character trait.
It was definitely more procedural and less intense than the initial episode, but I think the show is doing a really good job of showing the steps that a case takes from the original allegation up through someone facing trial. As someone who is a part of the criminal justice system, I appreciated the attention to detail and accuracy of what was being presented. The writing, the directing, and the performances outweigh any potential pacing issues for me.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Oh yeah, I'm still 100% on board, and procedural was definitely the word for it. I was just saying, compared with the presentation of the incident itself, which was so well executed, I felt like this episode was a bit more drawn out than it needed to be. Even if that made it a more realistic portrayal. However, I wholeheartedly agree on the writing/directing/performances outweighing pacing issues.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Enjoyed the series. Wasn't thrilled on how they decided to make his attorney turn drug mule. That wasn't at all necessary. The fact she would waste her career on kiss and stuff dope in her cooch isn't at all believable. The acting all around was great tho. Box is the man.

CheezPizza

Post by CheezPizza »

I really liked it too. A lot of the proceedings in the courtroom weren't believable (there would have been a shitload more objections than there actually were), but that wasn't the point of the show (and I was cool with it being a little fantastical). The fact that they didn't show the killer getting caught was great. The show wasn't about "justice being served"; it was about how it'll fuck up your life.
Rule number one: Keep your fazers on stun

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Yeah. I'm down with it, as a whole. Definitely flawed but a good watch, nonetheless.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Great show. I liked the focus on the role that individuals, their experiences and biases can effect the justice system every step of the way. Fucked up, yo.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

i expected the finale to be much more grim and ambiguous and even though it took some leaps of logic or made characters do some things they probably wouldn't do to get to the ultimate ending, i was very satisfied with the ending. the intensity of damn near every scene in the courtroom was fantastic and the attention to details was great.

no disrespect to the gawd gandolfini but i honestly can't see him doing what turturro did with the same character. maybe the quirks and approach would have been different but turturro's closing was the perfect climax to the series

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

A good show, but because of the potential to be great I was let down. Courtroom stuff started very realistic and then went down hill quickly once trial started. Lawyers don't/can't talk that much and tell stories while they are questioning witnesses. Hard to believe the female lawyer would of kissed Naz, smuggled in drugs for him, and put him on the stand. Few other small things that bugged me. Overall enjoyed it, but I thought I was going to love it after first two episodes.

ric

Post by ric »

Philaflava wrote:Enjoyed the series. Wasn't thrilled on how they decided to make his attorney turn drug mule. That wasn't at all necessary. The fact she would waste her career on kiss and stuff dope in her cooch isn't at all believable. The acting all around was great tho. Box is the man.

haven't seen show
fwiw attys do shit like this they just don't need to stuff in vagina. that's some cheese drama right there

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

thought turturro was amazing throughout. but there were a lot of problems with the writing.

they made the young woman attorney laughably weak in what seemed like some seriously sexist writing. would've been much more interesting if the (extremely suddenly well trained) convict Naz tried to kiss her and she began questioning his innocence or some shit. but the weak attraction plot that leads to her putting dope in her pussy seems embarrassingly far fetched.

naz becoming an iron clad convict so instantaneously seemed like it was written by someone that has watched too many prison movies and never talked to anyone that's actually been to jail. the fact he gets finger / neck tats, becomes a basehead, becomes like the number 2 dude in lockup was all ridiculous. even with their weak attempt to tie it up with omar's unicorn speech, and turturro's reference to "this is what it looks like trying to survive on ryker's" speech it seemed like a white guy's prison fantasy come to life.

those are the two that really stuck out as dumb af to me, but there were certainly more. tbh turturro's performance was good enough to keep watching.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

intuition wrote:thought turturro was amazing throughout. but there were a lot of problems with the writing.

they made the young woman attorney laughably weak in what seemed like some seriously sexist writing. would've been much more interesting if the (extremely suddenly well trained) convict Naz tried to kiss her and she began questioning his innocence or some shit. but the weak attraction plot that leads to her putting dope in her pussy seems embarrassingly far fetched.

naz becoming an iron clad convict so instantaneously seemed like it was written by someone that has watched too many prison movies and never talked to anyone that's actually been to jail. the fact he gets finger / neck tats, becomes a basehead, becomes like the number 2 dude in lockup was all ridiculous. even with their weak attempt to tie it up with omar's unicorn speech, and turturro's reference to "this is what it looks like trying to survive on ryker's" speech it seemed like a white guy's prison fantasy come to life.

those are the two that really stuck out as dumb af to me, but there were certainly more. tbh turturro's performance was good enough to keep watching.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Blame it on the source material they stole it from