Westworld

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Westworld

Post by drizzle »

Am I the only one kinda on the fence about this? I was really looking forward to it but a few things about it turned me off a bit.

The first ep left me feeling like there's a lot of potential but also like this might be a show that will fall back on violence/brutality to cover plot weaknesses (similar to later seasons of Thrones), and is waaaay too pleased with its own supposed cleverness despite working with one of the oldest concepts in scifi.

Watching Ed Harris and Hopkins chew scenery is a no-brainer, the rest of the cast is good, the production is very high quality, hopefully the story will be good enough to pull all that together into a coherent whole.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

samdoom

Re: Westworld

Post by samdoom »

^^^
I think I was more intrigued and interested in seeing where the season was going to go until I saw the preview trailer for the next couple of weeks. Kinda killed all mystery as to how they'll handle things. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thus far, I'm in. I mean...it could easily become one of those shows I say I watch but really just look at my phone the whole time but I think it's got potential.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Pretty shitty first episode. Definitely an on-phone show.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I'm planning to give it another try, as it completely lost me that first episode. tbh though I don't have much desire to recheck it out, not what I was expecting at all.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

thought it was cool for a premier.

Post by 907 »

HBO put the second episode out early, has me much more excited for the rest of the season than the pilot did.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Post by 360 »

I haven't read the book this is based on but I hope we are being tricked into thinking the self-awareness isn't the main concept, just the outer layer.

Dan

Post by Dan »

360 wrote:I haven't read the book this is based on...
No one has. There never was a book.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

hmm...kinda confused by most of you guys' initial reviews. 100% in so far.

1st 2 eps were great. it's like if red dead redemption and ex machina had a baby.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Second episode felt more settled in, like they're getting into their long term groove now in terms of tone and how the story will be told. I think I'm fully on board now.

Some good stuff here on how the park supposedly works in terms of costs and contracts and shit, culled from viral extra-media

http://www.slashfilm.com/westworld-map-and-contract/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit. The style is a bit more cinematic and artsy than I was expecting based on the subject and the original movie, it took me a while to get with it.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

hustler says it's good so i'm in.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

alpha

Post by alpha »

This is so good. I'm in

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Still not sure what the fuck is going on but I'm in.

Those dudes in the masks hosts or guests? They just ate those bullets.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Anyone fucking with this dual timeline theory?

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

i think i'm out. the longer it goes the more it looks like a scyfy channel show with nudity.

Post by 907 »

alpha wrote:Anyone fucking with this dual timeline theory?
Heavy.

Even moreso after this week, considering the old Westworld logo that Bernard walks past in the basement is the same one on the sign when William and his dickhead friend first get there.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Oh shit! It's gotta rewatch that part

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Dual timeline is silly. They just had an old logo.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

blastmaster wrote:Dual timeline is silly. They just had an old logo.
this is where I'm at. I think it's a dumb idea that won't add anything to the story except a meaningless gotcha, one that's too forced to even be a real surprise at that. if it turns out to be true I might not continue with the show, it's just not the kind of shit i'm looking for here. i'm hoping it's misdirection. the clues in its favor beyond the 2 logos are all flimsy and contradictory.

alpha

Post by alpha »

That's where I tend to fall too. But I am enjoying the speculation and that it's give some importance to every detail.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Bicameralism is the underlying philosophy and everything seems geared toward a focus on that. Two timelines would be a silly addition.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Yea exactly, I want the story of robots gaining consciousness, and adding a confusing two tier story about how a milquetoast good dude became chaotic neutral doesn't really add much to that. if McPoyle is really Man In Black in the past, and was there to experience (the first?) robot awakening, it doesn't seem like he took much away from it. there's absolutely nothing to reflect any consequential difference of then and now aside from corporate signage.

Post by 907 »

Does Bernard being a host make the to timeline theory more or less likely at this point?

Really liked this episode, and was glad to see this was renewed for another season today.

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

according to reddit, yeuh. because it looks like a differently dressed bernard was interviewing the dolores in a similar (or the same room), asking her questions and knowing things that now android bernard cant know/cant see.

(ie, he says hes never seen the infield interview room before, when clearly he has in the interview scenes)

whether the mcpoyle/mib split is a real tangent of this, or a red herring to throw off, we shall see. another thing that im seeing pop up now, that i didnt notice( and was brought to my understanding via reddit), is that the teddy/wyatt combo is looking/heading towards pariah in the same way that william/logan did with dolores. in that someone, whether ford or the MIB, may be trying to recreate the situation that led to william, dolores and lauzo created with the escape from pariah...

shows mindbending, i cant wrap my head around it all.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

so what's up with that downstairs area?

Post by 907 »

Ramen wrote:so what's up with that downstairs area?

Ford's making hosts that no one else knows exist, which is pretty crazy. I'm wondering who/what was being made there when Bernard killed whatshername, and wouldn't be shocked if it was a copy of her to cover up shit, or the tech girl who got grabbed last week.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

oh, I was actually wondering about the sub levels of the main building. we know one area is for cold storage and another looked like it was possibly a lobby, but why would Bernard need to go downstairs in the previous episode to check for unregistered hosts, or was that just something Ford needed him to do.

also 83 levels? what kind of fuckery is going on on those other levels.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I assumed that was just where they kept all of the old shit.