Samurai Jack is Back!

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Tommy Bunz

Samurai Jack is Back!

Post by Tommy Bunz »

And Genndy is involved, this is amazing fucking news.
Challenging AMC’s Into The Badlands to a televised duel, earlier this morning Cartoon Network teased the return of cult animated series Samurai Jack to TV with a brief, but intriguing, video:

The network isn’t offering much in the way of details, except to say that series creator Genndy Tartakovsky is involved and will “[continue] the epic story with a new season.” That season, according to TVLine, will run during the usually anime-heavy Toonami programming block.

Originally airing on Cartoon Network from 2001 to 2004, Tartakovsky’s ultra-stylized, post-apocalyptic ode to samurai cinema followed the adventures of Jack, a legendary samurai from feudal Japan who is hurled through a time portal and into the distant future by evil shape-shifting demon Aku. Reruns of the series have been airing on Adult Swim since 2014, which makes sense because the show was always appreciated best in—let’s call it a late-night state of mind.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: Samurai Jack is Back!

Post by drizzle »

excellent
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

I never got into Samurai Jack, will have to marathon a few episodes
UBM CD COMING SOON

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

so holy shit

this season might be better than their old ones. just incredible. keeps getting better with every episode.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Those last 2 were insane, some of the trippiest animation I've ever seen.

The opening w wounded Jack floating down the river and then the wolf helping Jack in the cave>>>>>>>>>>

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the snow fight was the best thing I've seen in a cartoon in fuck knows how long, the direction is unreal this season. but more than that, the dark tone is really pushing this into an area the older version could't really go. it's the one time where the gritty reboot actually really paid off as intended.

can't get over it or stop thinking about it

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I have been so busy with work that I haven't had a chance to watch any tv for a couple months so I've just now gotten around to watching the first 4 episodes of this but I have to agree this is so good I can barely wrap my head around it.
The darker turn, Jack having to deal with actually killing humans for the first time, the wolf symbolism...its blowing all expectations out of the water.
The original run was damn near perfect but this is >>>>. I was worried about Genndy after he left the series and made the two Hotel Transylvania movies (which are perfectly enjoyable for what they are but rarely showcased his talents as a ground-breaking animator). This is the best work he's done yet.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

It ended so well I got a little emotional. Not even kidding. The story continues to becomes even more emotionally complicated in the second half, and the results are just incredible.

zombie

Post by zombie »

finally got around to finishing the second leg of this last season

it was very depressing