Alien: Covenant (May 2017)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Alien: Covenant (May 2017)

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Very excited for this.

I was one of the guys who was not too enthusiastic about Prometheus. After a rewatch this weekend I feel pretty much the same but its a very solid film regardless. Hopefully they will start connecting this film better/more with the original trilogy - it's what most of us fans want I think, eventhough it feels silly to obsess over the Alien mythology it would be a shame not to use it more since the material is so good. From what I understand this is the direction Scott is taking for the next few films and there will be a lot more xenomorph action in them as well.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

ric

Re: Alien: Covenant (May 2017)

Post by ric »

from my understanding ridley was basically like 'sorry we fucked up' and basically set about making things right again with the audience. I've been avoiding trailers

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I actually fuck with Prometheus more than most, it makes a lot of ponderous/dumb narrative choices but still ends up as a fun B-movie (granted with that kind of budget and talent you'd need to do something extraordinarily terrible to not end up with at least a fun B-movie). Hyped for this one too, it feels more or less fail-proof in a similar way. I kinda hope they don't dial things back too much because of the fan backlash, Prometheus hints at a larger universe that can offer more than just xenomorphs chasing blue collar grunts down dark corridors.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

I'd go a step above that and say that Prometheus is legitimately a great movie.
It suffered from overhype with being Ridley's first sci-fi film since the 80's, and there was just no way it could ever achieve the level of perfection of Blade Runner and Alien, which are both probably top 5 all time science fiction films.
But with expectations in check, its held up fantastically to repeat viewings.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

the aryan all-star thing is a cool idea, and david is a great character, but it's a no for me dog.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Green band trailer:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

oh well, I guess xenomorphs down dark hallways it is

look cool though.... is this supposed to be the same planet from Prometheus?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I've been curous about AVP again, either of those any good? I remember the second one was supposed to be better or something

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's been a long while since I last watched them, but I enjoyed the first AVP way more than the second one.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

first one has good action scenes and a cool idea. second one is aliens shoehorned into an abysmal teen rom com.
1. Nas
2. Drake

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

drizzle wrote:is this supposed to be the same planet from Prometheus?
it's called LV-426, noob.
1. Nas
2. Drake

Comedy Quaddafi

drizzle wrote:Prometheus hints at a larger universe that can offer more than just xenomorphs chasing blue collar grunts down dark corridors.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lolol fair

Comedy Quaddafi

The alt cuts of the first two films both improved the originals for me. Watched the "assembly cut" of 3 this weekend and was pretty bored. The extra and different scenes improve the movie but 2½ hours was entirely too much of that messy and dull script. Haven't seen Ressurection since I was a little kid in the cinema but even back then I thought it was lame - might watch the "special edition" of that.
- MB

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

I actually just watched Resurrection Special Edition last night. It's not completely irredeemable but doesn't add up to much. I can see why Jeunet seemed like a good idea for an Alien movie, there are moments where it clicks as a blend of grotesque visuals, horror and really dark humor that gives you a sense of what he had in mind and how it could've worked. It starts kinda promising actually, for the first 30 mins I thought this might be underrated. But then the script really falls apart in the second half and Jeunet's idiosyncrasy doesn't really lend itself to the more straightforward action/horror thriller heroics that the studio seemed to have in mind. So the result is not very satisfying on either side.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

New poster is a modern renaissance masterpiece:

alpha

Post by alpha »

Dope

ric

Post by ric »

dope dope dope dope dope

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

Saw 20 minutes at SXSW. There are hints of the prometheus themes/storyline still intact, but for the most part, from what we were shown, this is a straight up Alien movie. Danny McBride FTW.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

http://io9.gizmodo.com/new-alien-covena ... 1793989478" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

somebody guessed that Noomi Rapace's character from Prometheus becomes some form of an alien queen and I'm trying to remember if this makes sense going by what happened in that movie. The proto-xenamorph was a product of the parasite gestating in her body or some shit like that, so I guess that could work.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

at this point not even james cameron could save this franchise
1. Nas
2. Drake

zombie

Post by zombie »

drizzle wrote:http://io9.gizmodo.com/new-alien-covena ... 1793989478

somebody guessed that Noomi Rapace's character from Prometheus becomes some form of an alien queen and I'm trying to remember if this makes sense going by what happened in that movie. The proto-xenamorph was a product of the parasite gestating in her body or some shit like that, so I guess that could work.
the doctor dude inseminated shaw > shaw had parasite baby growing inside of her > baby parasite was taken out of her uterus > baby parasite grew and latched on to space jockey > proto xenomorph busted out of space jockey.

where exactly does shaw becoming an alien queen happen throughout the above timeline?

zombie

Post by zombie »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:at this point not even james cameron could save this franchise
respectfully disagree.

the people who love the Alien universe will eat any of this shit up, and it doesnt matter if its lame or there are plotholes or whatever. This is fact. Based on statistics from Prometheus.

this movie is going to be crazy. sorry!

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

zombie wrote:
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:at this point not even james cameron could save this franchise
respectfully disagree.

the people who love the Alien universe will eat any of this shit up, and it doesnt matter if its lame or there are plotholes or whatever. This is fact. Based on statistics from Prometheus.

this movie is going to be crazy. sorry!
i'm one of em. my dad let me watch alien when i was 8, it was my fav shit. then aliens took it to anotha level. when i first saw the internet i would constantly yahoo alien fan websites. i even read the discontinued spec script for a more straightforward version of alien 3.

resurrection was the first one i got a chance to see new in cinemas. so i'm used to being disappointed.
1. Nas
2. Drake

zombie

Post by zombie »

same. same.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

am I seeing this correctly, did David
drop the black goo on them
?

ric

Post by ric »

here's the thing. they are but they shouldn't explore the back story of the aliens. they're just fucking aliens. not knowing makes it that much sweeter. but oh well. maybe if the characters try to find the source and dig but find nothing. that's pretty sweet. it's gonna be sweet regardless. I like prometheus but they just have to bring back that mysterious atmosphere.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

ric wrote:here's the thing. they are but they shouldn't explore the back story of the aliens. they're just fucking aliens. not knowing makes it that much sweeter. but oh well. maybe if the characters try to find the source and dig but find nothing. that's pretty sweet. it's gonna be sweet regardless. I like prometheus but they just have to bring back that mysterious atmosphere.
^ real good point. the whole terror in alien is not understanding the creature or what's going on. for the sequel JC had to flip the script cause after the reveal, you can't recapture that fear. then the rest of the series is a futile attempt to do just that.
1. Nas
2. Drake

admiral

Post by admiral »

drizzle wrote:

am I seeing this correctly, did David
drop the black goo on them
?
That's what it seems to be implying
If so, Dr Shaw stay taking L's

zombie

Post by zombie »

ric wrote:here's the thing. they are but they shouldn't explore the back story of the aliens. they're just fucking aliens. not knowing makes it that much sweeter. but oh well. maybe if the characters try to find the source and dig but find nothing. that's pretty sweet. it's gonna be sweet regardless. I like prometheus but they just have to bring back that mysterious atmosphere.
I think the intent was to explain the space jockeys.

Everyone (audience) was going apeshit over them in Alien, and wanted to know what that was. Clearly, Ridley had a purpose of including them in the first place.

I guess Prometheus was his way of explaining it. Not the best way, but look , we get some more cool Alien movies out of it.