Game of Thrones Season 7

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Ramen

Re: Game of Thrones Season 7

Post by Ramen »

Drogon mad OP

Bran just becoming a shittier human being every week, tho he had little finger when he dropped that "chaos is a ladder"

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

that shit was crazy... I think Tyrion is going to feel like he just watched his brother die (maybe/maybe not) and he is going to have to decide whether he is a Lannister or a part of danny's freak show... great episode
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

they definitely planted the seed for Tyrion to have a change of heart.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

gusty wingers wrote:https://thepiratebay.org/search/game%20 ... e04/0/99/0

download subtitles from sub-scene.com

don't use your internet unless you want to get in trouble for downloading... try to use starbucks or your neighbors

https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/183128 ... B.h264-TBS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://subscene.com/subtitles/game-of- ... nth-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh it was just 4 that got leaked. I thought it was 5 too. Thanks though.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Ramen wrote:they definitely planted the seed for Tyrion to have a change of heart.
I feel like they planted more of a seed for Jamie to have the change of heart than Tyrion

Post by 360 »

Did anyone read about the popular Theory were bran is actually the night King?

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

360 wrote:Did anyone read about the popular Theory were bran is actually the night King?
no. link?

Post by 360 »

I believe some Reddit user posited it. It comes up immediately if you search it in Google

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Yes I've heard of that theory but it's physically impossible... they've been in scenes together and the night king walks...
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

night king did allow snow to live, but highly doubtful its bran.
bran is a limp wrist queer and the night king seems likes he gets plenty of poon.

alpha

Post by alpha »

They showed the origin of the night king last season. He was created by the children.

Post by 360 »

So was bran and his predecessors

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

right now, where does Game of Thrones rank with the best TV dramas of all time?

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

also

1. loot train
2. battle of the bastards
3. blackwater
4. hardhome

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

djjeffresh wrote:right now, where does Game of Thrones rank with the best TV dramas of all time?
I think the seasons are too uneven, though I love certain elements of the series. It started off great, I think seasons 1-4 would qualify for my top 10, but right now it sits firmly outside of my top 10.

It's not fucking with The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men or Breaking Bad, so for sure not top 10.

Re: episode 4: the battle scene was great. Had a smirk on my face as soon as Drogon entered the battle, loved the Arya fighting scene as well. I think the episodes might progressively get better as more characters are eliminated or get together. The show really benefits from not having multiple sprawling sets and scenes.

By the way, was it Dickon or Bronn saving Jaime? Or is the jury still out on that one?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

djjeffresh wrote:also

1. loot train
3. blackwater
4. hardhome
lol wut

Hardhome probably the best ep of the series

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Ramen wrote:

1. loot train
3. blackwater
4. hardhome
lol wut

Agreed, or maybe last season's finale. First 20 minutes were a thing of beauty. Blackwater was stellar as well.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Philaflava wrote:night king did allow snow to live, but highly doubtful its bran.
bran is a limp wrist queer and the night king seems likes he gets plenty of poon.
excellent reasoning.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

Ramen wrote:

1. loot train
3. blackwater
4. hardhome
lol wut

sorry i should have specified that my list is based on the battle sequences specifically, not the entire episodes. loot train battle was so awesome my heart was pounding when watching it last night. never seen battle sequences like that before. way more gripping for me than the cgi undead baddies and stuff like that. i know a lot of people love the hardhome battle though.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

BTS 15 min making of loot train battle, worth a watch

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

was definitely cool to see Drogon get loose, tho I thought Dany was gonna get him killed

those stuntmen the real mvp

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

Philaflava wrote:night king did allow snow to live, but highly doubtful its bran.
Agree with the logic behind your latter reason. But for the first case I think it's a stretch to say that the night king decisively allowed Snow to live during that battle

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

Yohan wrote:
djjeffresh wrote:right now, where does Game of Thrones rank with the best TV dramas of all time?
I think the seasons are too uneven, though I love certain elements of the series. It started off great, I think seasons 1-4 would qualify for my top 10, but right now it sits firmly outside of my top 10.

It's not fucking with The Wire, The Sopranos, Deadwood, Mad Men or Breaking Bad, so for sure not top 10.

Re: episode 4: the battle scene was great. Had a smirk on my face as soon as Drogon entered the battle, loved the Arya fighting scene as well. I think the episodes might progressively get better as more characters are eliminated or get together. The show really benefits from not having multiple sprawling sets and scenes.

By the way, was it Dickon or Bronn saving Jaime? Or is the jury still out on that one?
U mean to say that it's not in your top 5? Cuz u listed 5 shows, which are all excellent no doubt, but I'd be hard pressed to name 5 more shows that'll push GOT outside top 10. This shit easily slides into my top 10, and I don't see how it doesn't break into anyone else's top 10 at the very least. No issues there with those 5 classics u listed as they're fairly unanimous with everyone, but I'd like to know which other 5 more shows u would put ahead of GOT. Seems to me that there's a possibility GOT may suffer in discrediting its greatness due to some peeps holding some kind of anti-dungeons n dragons/fantasy sentiment that holds them back from seriously considering this as one of the greatest shows. Obviously all of those other popular shows that are always mentioned as being one of the greatest were all set in the "real world". GOT's the only one set straight in full fantasy realm.

I myself was never into any of that dragons/magic, fantasy world bullshit before the show. I could still care less about any of that even after being immersed in the show and its world, and don't give enough shit to have any interest in further exploring other works within the fantasy genre. I haven't read any of the asoiaf books and don't care how they compare or contrast to the show. I'm just judging it as a TV drama. Based on that, it's one of the greatest. Can't say it's the GOAT as of now, but certainly deserves to be in that conversation. It's had all of the elements that other great TV drama shows have had. It's been great at doing what it has done, excelling in weaving through and presenting a compelling, yet very complex and intricate story without diverging nor lagging much if at all. And just like most of the other great shows, it knows the show must finally come to its end, and it's now pushing through the plots at an even better pace. They could've easily decided to milk the shit out of its world popularity and drag it out to at least another, 8th season, but because they didn't, that'll help this show in the future as one of the greatest in hindsight.

What's made this show to be one of the greats is ultimately that it's had a firm grip on and never lost track of the story's essence and the overall end-game it was heading toward with an inevitable, moment of truth, convergence of its key characters. And fuck the fact that it's all set in some fantasy turd world if u can't get over that. Cuz it's always been about human nature in the end. About how great the show has been in engaging and pulling the emotional strings of viewers through its portrayals of human nature in all of its shades. I don't see how anyone can argue against this show having done an exceptional job in fleshing out/portraying, handling/juggling all of the numerous characters, all the while somehow emotionally connecting the viewers to them by giving them a good look into each character's psyche. GOT has and have had its share of definitive, purely evil/or good characters, but what makes it great and drives the story has been all of those morally grey characters just as those types everyone loved from other great shows. And GOT probably has the most number of such key characters out of all those shows.

Honestly, the more I write and think about it, I'd say that GOT as a TV show is on the same level and pretty much equivalent to The Wire, which is one of my top 3. Right now, Wire is the only other show I can think of that similarly matches GOT with its intricate complexities where everyone's a chess piece. Similar themes with there being some sort of a greater, behind-the-curtains, unstoppable and forceful theme that provides the stage for human nature to play out and unfold through all of its various, morally grey characters. I bet someone's already made a youtube matching characters of GOT to ones from Wire. So yea, I'd say this shit is one of the greatest shows ever.

And btw, as to who saved Jaime's ass, looked to me like it's between Bron and Dickon, but not for certain.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Well said, I'm not as big of a Thrones stan as some, but the way everything is coming together from seeds planted in the very first episode is pretty undeniable.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

the wire went seriously off the rails in s2 but some people round here really like poles apparently
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

zombie

Post by zombie »

it was pretty obvious who saved Jaime..

It was Bronn. He was wearing the duster type piece. Dickon was wearing all armor.

Bronn also has longer hair , and the scene showed a guy with long hair pushing Jaime off the horse, wearing a duster.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

‘Game of Thrones’ Dragon Battle Was Inspired by ‘Apocalypse Now’ and ‘Saving Private Ryan’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This battle had elements of the “Battle of the Bastards” in it, and it had the surprise ambush quality of “Hardhome,” but everything about it on the micro level was very different. On a macro level, too, given the dragons. So what I looked at more were things like “Apocalypse Now,” the helicopter attack on the village, which felt very similar in terms of shifting points of view and the horror on the ground. Dealing death from above — going through swirling clouds of smoke and napalm and all of that — felt much more like what I was trying to create.

I looked at “Saving Private Ryan,” the opening battle on the beach, where the sound drops out and Tom Hanks is watching men being burned alive and shot to death. That to me was very much what it should feel like for Jaime, watching men die left and right around him. I looked at John Ford. I looked at “Children of Men.” Bronn running through the field of horror was very similar to some of those Clive Owen oners [single continuous shots] as he’s running through hell with death all around him. I looked at a lot of different references and did what I could to pull from them as inspiration.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

unlike apocalypse now we see it from the receiving end tho (nh)
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

zombie

Post by zombie »

djjeffresh wrote:‘Game of Thrones’ Dragon Battle Was Inspired by ‘Apocalypse Now’ and ‘Saving Private Ryan’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/arts ... .html?_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This battle had elements of the “Battle of the Bastards” in it, and it had the surprise ambush quality of “Hardhome,” but everything about it on the micro level was very different. On a macro level, too, given the dragons. So what I looked at more were things like “Apocalypse Now,” the helicopter attack on the village, which felt very similar in terms of shifting points of view and the horror on the ground. Dealing death from above — going through swirling clouds of smoke and napalm and all of that — felt much more like what I was trying to create.

I looked at “Saving Private Ryan,” the opening battle on the beach, where the sound drops out and Tom Hanks is watching men being burned alive and shot to death. That to me was very much what it should feel like for Jaime, watching men die left and right around him. I looked at John Ford. I looked at “Children of Men.” Bronn running through the field of horror was very similar to some of those Clive Owen oners [single continuous shots] as he’s running through hell with death all around him. I looked at a lot of different references and did what I could to pull from them as inspiration.
nice homages

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude wrote:
Yohan wrote:

U mean to say that it's not in your top 5? Cuz u listed 5 shows, which are all excellent no doubt, but I'd be hard pressed to name 5 more shows that'll push GOT outside top 10. This shit easily slides into my top 10, and I don't see how it doesn't break into anyone else's top 10 at the very least. No issues there with those 5 classics u listed as they're fairly unanimous with everyone, but I'd like to know which other 5 more shows u would put ahead of GOT. Seems to me that there's a possibility GOT may suffer in discrediting its greatness due to some peeps holding some kind of anti-dungeons n dragons/fantasy sentiment that holds them back from seriously considering this as one of the greatest shows. Obviously all of those other popular shows that are always mentioned as being one of the greatest were all set in the "real world". GOT's the only one set straight in full fantasy realm.

I myself was never into any of that dragons/magic, fantasy world bullshit before the show. I could still care less about any of that even after being immersed in the show and its world, and don't give enough shit to have any interest in further exploring other works within the fantasy genre. I haven't read any of the asoiaf books and don't care how they compare or contrast to the show. I'm just judging it as a TV drama. Based on that, it's one of the greatest. Can't say it's the GOAT as of now, but certainly deserves to be in that conversation. It's had all of the elements that other great TV drama shows have had. It's been great at doing what it has done, excelling in weaving through and presenting a compelling, yet very complex and intricate story without diverging nor lagging much if at all. And just like most of the other great shows, it knows the show must finally come to its end, and it's now pushing through the plots at an even better pace. They could've easily decided to milk the shit out of its world popularity and drag it out to at least another, 8th season, but because they didn't, that'll help this show in the future as one of the greatest in hindsight.

What's made this show to be one of the greats is ultimately that it's had a firm grip on and never lost track of the story's essence and the overall end-game it was heading toward with an inevitable, moment of truth, convergence of its key characters. And fuck the fact that it's all set in some fantasy turd world if u can't get over that. Cuz it's always been about human nature in the end. About how great the show has been in engaging and pulling the emotional strings of viewers through its portrayals of human nature in all of its shades. I don't see how anyone can argue against this show having done an exceptional job in fleshing out/portraying, handling/juggling all of the numerous characters, all the while somehow emotionally connecting the viewers to them by giving them a good look into each character's psyche. GOT has and have had its share of definitive, purely evil/or good characters, but what makes it great and drives the story has been all of those morally grey characters just as those types everyone loved from other great shows. And GOT probably has the most number of such key characters out of all those shows.

Honestly, the more I write and think about it, I'd say that GOT as a TV show is on the same level and pretty much equivalent to The Wire, which is one of my top 3. Right now, Wire is the only other show I can think of that similarly matches GOT with its intricate complexities where everyone's a chess piece. Similar themes with there being some sort of a greater, behind-the-curtains, unstoppable and forceful theme that provides the stage for human nature to play out and unfold through all of its various, morally grey characters. I bet someone's already made a youtube matching characters of GOT to ones from Wire. So yea, I'd say this shit is one of the greatest shows ever.

And btw, as to who saved Jaime's ass, looked to me like it's between Bron and Dickon, but not for certain.
Let me preface my post by stating that I like the show GoT very much. I was introduced to the books after I saw the first season of the show so there's at least 2 reasons for me to like the show. I understand that the books and the TV show are two different entitites, with book canon and show canon. I believe the show should be judged on its own merits and the books for theirs. I don't try to make comparisons to the books too often because it makes me seem more of a gigantic cunt than I already am, but even so they sometimes can be a logical reference point for arguments.

Besides the many things this show does well, there are, in my humble opinion, a few pitfalls which can, at times, make the show borderline unwatchable for me. In general, I think the show hurt more by the books as opposed to gaining because of it. Some things could have been avoided, other things not because of GGRM's abysmal writing speed.

In short, the reason why I don't think GoT is ultimately a top show hinges on a set of arguments. (1) Character and story sprawl, (2) Character motivations, (3) It's transition to a cliché show about dragons and good vs. evil and (4) Continuity issues.

Let's start with the first issue I have with the show: character and story sprawl. For every good to extremely good episode we have had (with the last one being an example of a very good episode), there have been so many middling episodes in between. In my mind, this has happened because of the ginormous cast of characters and locations which makes it very hard to pace the story properly. It is no coincidence that the better episodes were traditionally the episodes that largely took place in a single location and/or between a few major characters. This pacing issue has been at the heart of the show since probably season 2: I think season 1 was very concise. I maintain this was because B&W remained largely true to the books, although the books at that time were also more limited in scope. The character sprawl in my mind is closely related to issue (2), but in general I don't think the show benefits from having such a large cast of characters. It can only devote so much time to deepen motivations and the arc of a single character, which in turn sometimes gives a character an uneven feel. Or developments go too fast, which is tightly connected with point (4).

As for (2) character motivations, the show suffers from the books being too large in scope. In the books, there are a few more storylines which are super important to the bigger picture, mainly (f)Aegon and Dorne's political strategy of aloofness. In the books, book 5 (Dance with Dragons, to be exact), these storylines really start coming together, but the foundation has been laid as early as book 1. The storylines of Dany, Varys, Illyrio, Viserys, Drogo and Doran/Oberyn/Dorne in general are (greatly) impacted by the decision to cull important characters from the show. Varys, for instance, shouldn’t have been in the show now that (f)Aegon hasn’t been shown. So now, after x seasons of GoT, we are left with a pretty important character whose impact of the story has greatly diminished with nothing left to do. Dorne (especially season 5 and 6) was absolutely butchered by the showrunners, and for what? Jaime and especially Brienne’s storylines don’t make as much sense without Lady Stoneheart. Jaime has been aimlessly wandering around for seasons now, only now once again becoming a prominent character in the show for how long it takes. Littlefinger does everything to be caught and killed, and has seemingly lost all purpose in the show. For somebody who’s supposedly into using chaos for his own benefit and as widely regarded to be a master schemer, he is as see through as some Ikea curtains. Sansa should be a good politician, yet does almost literally everything to discredit her from that title. Sometimes it gets both laughable and annoying.

The biggest issue I have with the show is about (3), its transition from a show and/or series which defied the traditional fantasy genre to a show which has become exactly that, a cliché fantasy show. GGRM has structured the story so that it was able to be more than just good vs. evil, although there was always the omnicidal threat of the Wild Walkers. While the series attempts to stay true to that philosophy, part of its appeal is breaking some of the more prevalent character tropes in fantasy, the hero’s journey, the romantic, how to deal with bad guys etc. To me, it feels the show has thrown everything in the wind in order to stage a few large set piece battles. It could have been so much more then it currently is.

Finally (4): GoT just does a lot of stupid shit which at times makes it very had to take seriously. Just in the current season alone, there have been major moments of contuinity issues. Grey Worms fleet sailed a full episode earlier than Euron’s fleet yet is caught almost as soon as they land at Casterly Rock. Let’s not forget both fleets had to circumnavigate half a continent, which makes no sense if you place it in the perspective of the general timeline. Jon sails for Dragonstone and arrives almost instantly. Tyrion and the Dothraki teleport from Dragonstone to Highgarden in a moment’s notice. Last season, you had Varys in Dorne and Mereen almost at the same time. The logistics just don’t add up. It’s not just a single moment, it’s becoming a recurring theme in almost every episode. In the Battle of the Bastards, you had a wall of dead bodies stacked up almost 5-7 meters high. That shit’s just not possible. For a show that attempts to be as realistic as possible regarding military tactics, that shit’s a major immersion breaker for yours truly. I think we can go back as early as season 2 for these issues.

And then I haven’t even started on using nudity and gore as shock tactics without a real purpose.

I did list 5 shows off the top of my head which are, at least in my opinion, definitely and undeniably better than GoT. There are some shows I would list before GoT as well, of which Friday Night Lights and Better Call Saul are the most notable. I think I can come up with more shows, so I still maintain this show is not really a top 10 contender for me. It’s not about the fantasy genre, which I personally love.

The Wire has a very different goals as a show and I personally don’t think GoT is fucking with the intricacies of that show. Both do share a similar broad scope, which only hurt The Wire in season 5. The newsroom and its characters wasn’t really done well, even though I did appreciate the sentiment of what David Simon was trying to tell. The serial killer storyline also fell a bit flat, which makes season 5 by far the worst season of the show. I personally think season 2 was by far not as bad as many people say it was. I think the storyline on the docks was very good and it’s place in the show was logical. I can imagine if you just want gangbangers featured on the show season 2 was a bit of a disappointment, but IMO that misses what the show set out to do. I’m not sure if The Wire is the greatest show of all time, I used to think it was. The top few spots are really crowded and I don’t mind any of the 5 shows I listed as a top pick.

Anyway, this ends my way too long analysis of GoT as a show and it’s place in the top 10 shows of all time. Slow day at work today. Sorry you had to bear with me, I understand if you skipped my post after the first paragraph.