Annihilation

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

unclebengi

Annihilation

Post by unclebengi »

I really enjoyed this movie, but it could have been a lot better. The central concept was awesome and the last 3rd of the movie (save the last 5 minutes) was pretty fucking awesome. But the women actors were underwhelming IMO. I would have liked to have seen a few more scenes devoted to Isaac's charter's journey. If anything this movie convinced me that we need to give Alex Garland the biggest budget possible, because he's great at putting an abstract sci-fi vision on the screen.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Annihilation

Post by Employee »

I thought I would hate it; rather enjoyed it when all is said and done. Blissful, beautiful, brutal (occasionally) sci-fi.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

saw it opening weekend. Liked it a lot.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Gone straight to Netflix over here. Shame as I quite wanted to see it on a big screen. Looks great.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Enjoyed various elements, but overall, I felt it was an overambitious mess from Garland.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Enjoyed it a whole lot. I'm a little offput by how much he wears his influences on his sleeve, but I also love all the same things he loves and takes from and everybody steals from everybody anyway, so I can't really fault him too much there. I think the best thing he does here is successfully marrying the slow abstracted contemplative approach of high concept scifi to the more visceral jump scares and paranoia of the pulpier side of the genre. It reminds me a bit of Tarantino in that regard, what Garland does here feels similar to QT's arthouse and grindhouse at the same damn time style, but not as self conscious about it.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

CarlosDelgothoes

Post by CarlosDelgothoes »

lots of open-ended questions by the finale which makes it a satisfying watch. hearing it's getting criticism for its pacing, but I think it moves beautifully.

binary

Post by binary »

I thought this movie was dope. Some cringe parts but overall a good experience. It didn't leave my head for a while after.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

After sitting with it for 2 days, the one thing that sticks out prominently as a negative are the flimsy characters. Evan Portman's lead is pretty sketchy, and the others on the mission are given like 2 lines of exposition each and not really enough to do to fill them out beyond that. Far from a deal breaker for me but still not great writing, and just a shame to not give JJL something better or anything at all to Tessa Thompson.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

binary

Post by binary »

drizzle wrote:After sitting with it for 2 days, the one thing that sticks out prominently as a negative are the flimsy characters. Evan Portman's lead is pretty sketchy, and the others on the mission are given like 2 lines of exposition each and not really enough to do to fill them out beyond that. Far from a deal breaker for me but still not great writing, and just a shame to not give JJL something better or anything at all to Tessa Thompson.
I get what you are saying but the movie doesn't really lend itself to a ton of dialogue. It's so visually stunning and the characters would be in a state of awe for most of the film, so I find it excusable. Portman is such a good actress, it doesn't really matter if she says much imo.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Portman being the only character that’s fleshed out is the point , I think.
Anyone have questions about which Portman got out? I thought it was clear

binary

Post by binary »

alpha wrote:Portman being the only character that’s fleshed out is the point , I think.
Anyone have questions about which Portman got out? I thought it was clear
I can see arguments for both, but in the end it doesn't really matter. I hope they don't even make a sequel honestly, it stands well on its own as a dope sci fi thriller thingy.

binary

Post by binary »

Just wanted to reiterate how good this movie is.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I’ve been wanting to re watch for the visuals.
Agreed it doesn’t matter which Portman got out. Just fun to think about.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

So arrival is a genre now?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

binary

Post by binary »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:So arrival is a genre now?
Would that be a bad thing? This movie is better than Arrival.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^sure, it has more action. and the twist is more substantial. i'm not complaining, i like a movie with a pensive female protagonist with relationship trouble being recruited because of her academic specialty to contact aliens with a foreboding sense of mystery and occasional jump scares. same soundtrack too.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.