The Deuce

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

The Deuce

Post by drizzle »

Was anybody else watching this? Seems like the failure of Vinyl soured people towards high-concept HBO projects but I thought it was very good.

It wasn't very dramatically exciting or even plot heavy, just had this pleasant immersive ambient quality. An interesting world filled with interesting characters that was fun to check in on once a week, and somehow they sneakily squeezed something kinda great out of it. It hit a good balance between 70s pop culture mythology and realism too, didn't shy away from the harsh realities but didn't let them get in a way of a good yarn either.

The Double Franco stunt casting was kinda od, having the younger Franco as the irresponsible one could've been pretty clever but whatever. Everybody else really killed it, and the show finally corrects the Soprano's cardinal sin of not letting Jackie Aprile have more screen time.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

unclebengi

Re: The Deuce

Post by unclebengi »

Fucking loved it. Franco was fantastic, loved seeing Meth and Thought getting meaty roles and killing it. I'm an unabashed lover of every series Simon has done (and every mini-series), even Treme. But I have to admit this is his best work since season 4 of the Wire. I think it really connects well though to Show Me A Hero in the Simon universe. It's supposed to jump forward 5-6 years in each of the 3 seasons so I can't wait to see how they develop it.

I just wish Frankie got more screen time, every scene he was in was great, but it sounds like that will happen next season.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

also, the chick who plays Darlene has been amazing in everything I've seen her in and I'm in love with her because of it.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Excellent show. Simon is really good at this. I just wish Maggie had better Tits. Those things were depressing as fuck.

admiral

Post by admiral »

blastmaster wrote:Excellent show. Simon is really good at this. I just wish Maggie had better Tits. Those things were depressing as fuck.
:lol:

Really good show - the sets, clothes, and casting are all great. It's incredible everyone in NYC in the 70's didn't die from lung cancer / STD's

Meth's hair game is on some other shit. I am in love with the bar girl who is really in her mid 30's

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

first season was fantastic. hopefully hbo gives them more episodes in later seasons

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

psyched that they're planning time jumps for the 3 planned seasons, although seeing who got HIV and who's dying of H addiction is gonna be tough
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

I'm on episode 3 and love it. They did a great job of showing 1970s New York.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Too slimy and grimey. I am a prude by nature, so this was not up my alley. It was up Blastmaster's alley. Lots of things are up Blastmaster's alley. Dildos, cucumbers, 18 inch flashlights, etc.

Lots of good actors, though.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Whoa man. Remind me who you are again?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Method man's wig is worth the price of admission
Hey, by the way who's Curt?