The House that Jack Built (Lars von Trier, Matt Dillon) 2018

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Spartan

The House that Jack Built (Lars von Trier, Matt Dillon) 2018

Post by Spartan »

The story follows Jack, a highly intelligent serial killer over the course of 12 years and depicts the murders that truly develop Jack as a serial killer.

Trailer has piqued my interest and seems like a logical follow-up to von Trier's Forrest Gump film from a couple of years ago.

gusty wingers

Re: The House that Jack Built (Lars von Trier, Matt Dillon)

Post by gusty wingers »

is this any good or just violent fodder??
Bury me with the Sergio Tacchini on

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

^ I doubt anybody from here attended the Cannes festival :lol:

We'll know if it's good some time in autumn but I don't see why it wouldn't be, if you like von Trill.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

didn't realize how far from it's official release it was haha... I am excited to see this I am not familiar with the work of anybody involved in this project I just am aware of the hype surrounding it and the level of appall some have for it

Comedy Quaddafi

This film is everything I wanted it to be. Haven't seen every von Trier film but this is my favorite of his and perhaps it is the best serial killer film ever made, at least if you narrow it down to the killer-POV films (American Psycho, Henry, etc.) rather than cop-POV (Se7en, Silence of the Lambs, Zodiac, etc.).

The film is structured like Nymphomaniac with stories being told in chapters in the context of a confession to a third party. There are a bunch of philosophical discussion about art running through the film which some people will find pretentious but I enjoyed the high-minded banter mixed with absolutely mad setpieces that go where few other directors have gone before. There are three scenes in particular which has made reviewers clutch their pearls ("will someone please think of the children/ducklings/breasts") and I think the negative and laughably selfrighteous reviews are doing a psychological assessment of von Trier rather than actually reviewing his movie. Yeah, hes probably not someone you want to invite to a dinnerparty but that's hardly the point. The film is fucking brilliant.

Hes basically the Kanye of cinema at this point. A tremendous artist being shitted on by small minds.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

That would open up a whole new rabbit whole.
Back on topic: I'm looking forward to catching this. A serial killer film made by LVT is a lethal combo and despite the expected controversy, it's high time monsters like this were vilified for their evils and not worshipped like anti-heroes throughout various media - a common default for the last couple of decades.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Loved it. Best movie Matt Dillon has been in since There’s Something About Mary.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

Still haven't gotten around to watching it. I must.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Can anyone think of a better more realistic serial killer film? I loved it

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

can't wait to check this thing, might be tonight but def by tomorrow night. i have a nice clean stream if anybody needs one.

Comedy Quaddafi

Still can't decide if this, Climax or Hereditary is my fave of last year.

I'm also unsure if this is a realistic portrayal of a serialkiller, but I'm not a true crime buff. Henry: Portrait is the usual gold standard in that convo I guess. Then you have weak films like August Underground which might actually be the most realistic portrayal. In AU the murderers are just moronic sadists which is probably the case with a lot of them, though I'm sure many of them are uber neurotics like Jack too. He is an intellectual like Hannibal which I assume is a rare thing for psychotic murderers but I could be wrong.

The German film Angst seemed to me to be a very convincing portrait of a severely mentally ill serialkiller
- MB

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

I still have to see Henry. I was about 30 mins into THTJB last night and was thinking of Henry, I will probably watch it tomorrow if I am not sick of serial killer films by then. Ended up watching exactly half of this last night. Incredible. Exactly what I was hoping it would be. When he kept playing with the chair, that is exactly how I would imagine the mind of a serial killer. Can't wait to finish this tonight.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

I’ve watched so many serial killer docs and read so much about them.. I’m not an expert but this to me was one of the most realistic portrayals

Spoilerish:

For example the slow turn from super ocd and meticulous at murders to giving zero fucks and becoming wreckless.. happens a lot, most relevant example because of his doc out and movie coming out would be Ted Bundy

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

There was also a Bundy reference with the victim crying for help to the cop and not getting treated seriously.

It's quite a funny film overall. Actually felt like a douche for laughing out loud a few times, especially the hunting scene.
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Still can't decide if this, Climax or Hereditary is my fave of last year.
I think Hereditary might have this beat slightly, but this is easily my fave Von Trier flick by far.

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

really enjoyed this, trippy ending

gusty wingers

Post by gusty wingers »

after watching henry this week and going back and forth with it i feel henry is the greatest serial killer film ever. something so raw about it, like it's an extended unsolved mysteries episode. for me it might just be the time period and the gritty look of it, but it is def number 1.