No talk of Sorry To Bother You?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Clean Hobo

No talk of Sorry To Bother You?

Post by Clean Hobo »

?

ric

Re: No talk of Sorry To Bother You?

Post by ric »

It's a movie? So put up an article or your thoughts.

Clean Hobo

Post by Clean Hobo »

ric wrote:It's a movie? So put up an article or your thoughts.
I don’t want to. I haven’t seen it yet. Just figured a hip hop website would be talking about a feature film written and directed by Boots Riley. I’m gonna see it this week.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i think the fact its in select theaters and hasn't come out officially in most places had made it challenging to have a discussion. i'd like to see it tho.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Not sure what the buzz is about it; it's a typical tale of "Black guy is oppressed by white guys." Rather than explore that topic or offer any compelling argument to bolster it, Riley relies heavily on editing, set design, location etc to distract from the reality that the movie lacks any sincere heart. Lakeith Stanfield's performance in the lead is superb given the source material he had to work with. But even as endearing as he is, he doesn't rescue the film from its inevitable self-placed booby traps.

Armie Hammer, Lakeith Stanfield, and Tessa Thompson's gorgeous ass and face are the only reasons to see it on a big screen.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

how's the soundtrack?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Employee wrote:Not sure what the buzz is about it; it's a typical tale of "Black guy is oppressed by white guys." Rather than explore that topic or offer any compelling argument to bolster it, Riley relies heavily on editing, set design, location etc to distract from the reality that the movie lacks any sincere heart. Lakeith Stanfield's performance in the lead is superb given the source material he had to work with. But even as endearing as he is, he doesn't rescue the film from its inevitable self-placed booby traps.

Armie Hammer, Lakeith Stanfield, and Tessa Thompson's gorgeous ass and face are the only reasons to see it on a big screen.
100% this

Only SJW cucks will claim to enjoy this movie when deep down they know the topic has been exhausted to the point that it's nearly lost all meaning. It's unfortunate Lakeith Stanfield's movie debut had to be this abomination, he should fire his agent.

Post by 907 »

Employee wrote:Not sure what the buzz is about it; it's a typical tale of "Black guy is oppressed by white guys." Rather than explore that topic or offer any compelling argument to bolster it, Riley relies heavily on editing, set design, location etc to distract from the reality that the movie lacks any sincere heart. Lakeith Stanfield's performance in the lead is superb given the source material he had to work with. But even as endearing as he is, he doesn't rescue the film from its inevitable self-placed booby traps.

Breitbart does movie reviews?
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Sorry To Bother You...With My Opinion.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

It's probably the best movie that's gonna come out on theaters this year.

Boots is a genius movie maker. His future is brighter than ever. He might fuck around and become his own character Darius and get offered a dumb bag of money from some massive corporation.

I wish they had more space for Terry Crews in the movie and two more scenes with Danny Glover, but yeah I get it. Tessa Thompson is invincible. Armie Hammer just immortalized himself. The movie floats like a dream. There will be three subpar knock offs of Sorry To Bother You by next summer, all trying to do for their own causes what Boots does for unions and... the other things he fights for in this MaStErPiEcE fEvEr DrEaM on celluloid.
The "RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! :owens: NIGGA SHIT! NIGGA SHIT! NIGGA SHIT!" scene is THEEEEE most triggering coontastic white hipsterriffic moment of filmmaking in the last two decades and for THAT moment alone, Sorry To Bother You is actually the best movie of the year, so snort another line and go see it again :rofl:
Rotten Tomatoes got it right this time, lulz
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:It's probably the best movie that's gonna come out on theaters this year.

Boots is a genius movie maker. His future is brighter than ever. He might fuck around and become his own character Darius and get offered a dumb bag of money from some massive corporation.

I wish they had more space for Terry Crews in the movie and two more scenes with Danny Glover, but yeah I get it. Tessa Thompson is invincible. Armie Hammer just immortalized himself. The movie floats like a dream. There will be three subpar knock offs of Sorry To Bother You by next summer, all trying to do for their own causes what Boots does for unions and... the other things he fights for in this MaStErPiEcE fEvEr DrEaM on celluloid.
The "RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! RAP! :owens: NIGGA SHIT! NIGGA SHIT! NIGGA SHIT!" scene is THEEEEE most triggering coontastic white hipsterriffic moment of filmmaking in the last two decades and for THAT moment alone, Sorry To Bother You is actually the best movie of the year, so snort another line and go see it again :rofl:
Rotten Tomatoes got it right this time, lulz
Jesus christ, why aren't you still banned from CYE?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I loved it. It's a pretty broad satire of capitalism, and it has some flaws and more random ideas than it really knows how to handle, but it's consistently hilarious and at times pointedly uncomfortable. Boots is definitely a film school kid, there are tons of influences on display ranging from Mike Judge to Bunuel; and in fitting with what he seems to be emulating the movie is driven more by stylization and non sequiturs and vignettes than by focused narrative. Trimming things a bit and making the writing more specific could've maybe made for a better film but a lot of the appeal of this thing is in seeing all the shit Boots is mad at/making fun of so I'm cool with it being a little sloppy in service of that.

Will almost certainly end up as one of the years favorites.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I liked it and found it unlike any other movie i had ever seen. sure, topically, things have been covered but , style wise, it was all over the place in a cool way. I felt strong UHF vibes at points and I wonder if that's even a possible real influence. It definitely kinda flies of the rails at times and could have been more focused but i already can tell it will be one of those movies I watch anytime it's on.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Blockhead wrote: I felt strong UHF vibes at points and I wonder if that's even a possible real influence.
I get the sense that Boots is just big movie nerd, or at least he's very well versed in social satire on film, so pretty much anything from that realm is on the table as a possible influence.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... oots-riley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry to Bother You: is Boots Riley’s new film this year’s Get Out?
A rip-roaring tale of code-switching and capitalism, it’s the most significant state-of-the-nation satire since Jordan Peele’s masterpiece

Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Didn't like it as much as I expected to, thought it was pretty average honestly. Not nearly as funny as it was trying to be.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Like most Coup albums: Seems like it will be a good time based on reputation and what you think you remember, but it never really works and you just kinda feel like you wasted some time. Very average and mostly annoying album.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/j ... oots-riley

Sorry to Bother You: is Boots Riley’s new film this year’s Get Out?
A rip-roaring tale of code-switching and capitalism, it’s the most significant state-of-the-nation satire since Jordan Peele’s masterpiece

this is ludicrous, the connection is specious as hell and STBY was already written and published as a screenplay several years ago during Obama's tenure

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

blastmaster wrote:Like most Coup albums: Seems like it will be a good time based on reputation and what you think you remember, but it never really works and you just kinda feel like you wasted some time. Very average and mostly annoying album.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

i'm just gonna rewatch the fat cats+bigga fish music vid
1. Nas
2. Drake

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:i'm just gonna rewatch the fat cats+bigga fish music vid
but you'll be missing out on discovering who the REAL spirit animals of capitalism are to Boots Riley :cas:

There is no way 'Sorry To Bother You' is not a Top Ten Movie on every list that should matter in 2018.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^i reality i will prob peep at some point. but i also want to point out how prescient the third verse on "freestylin at the fortune 500 club" now sounds (the trump verse).
1. Nas
2. Drake

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

Saw it. It was alright. I'll probably watch again when rips leak for the tessa scenes.

Oh and apparently they're going to make a new soundtrack for the movie next year.