True Detective Seaon 3

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

the dead poet

True Detective Seaon 3

Post by the dead poet »

Anyone watching? I just caught up this weekend. I think it's pretty good. So far a lot of vibes from the first season. But some great acting....but wtf do I know...I also thought season 2 wasn't as bad as people made it out to be lol.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admiral

Re: True Detective Seaon 3

Post by admiral »

Ali is rightly getting a lot of praise for this, but the gawd Stephen Dorff is just as good, and probably better

The story is engaging, although a bit slow
During the Woodard / redneck patriarchy shootout, it was a bit confusing, but didn't the rednecks turn their guns on the police? No one seemed to care they were the ones really shooting at Ali/Dorff

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Re: True Detective Seaon 3

Post by drizzle »

Def into it for Ali and Dorf, but first few eps felt like they're trying to re-capture the magic of S1 while stripping away most of most of Pizza's eccentricities because of the bad reactions to S2. Which is kinda lame, especially since the story is not that compelling and they're relying too much on time jump trickery to keep the mystery going. 3/4 way into the season and we still don't really know most of what happened, and hanging that on Ali's memory is starting to feel like stalling.

But the last episode pointed to a possibly different aim for the season, they might be going for a meditation on aging and loneliness. And that could be pretty good. The scene on the porch really drove it home as the central theme and was maybe one of the best in the entire show.

I find myself missing the nuttiness of S2 sometimes, it was bad but it's wasn't boring and S3 could use some of that energy.

Still maintain that Sharp Objects was a better follow up to the first 4 eps of S1 than anything else the show did itself.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo