Midsommar

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

unclebengi

Midsommar

Post by unclebengi »

This shit will be hard to top as film of the year, took my breath away from beginning to end. Hereditary showed Ari Aster had serious directing chops, he knocks it out the park w/ this one. Don’t want to spoil anything. The less you know the better.

Y@k Bollox

Re: Midsommar

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Can't wait to see this.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I didn't get much out of this as a drama or a horror movie. Hereditary had deeper and better developed character drama driving the plot and had a much more satisfyingly crazier ending. It also bothered me that the movie depends on the viewer being familiar with folk horror tropes but ultimately doesn't deliver much on those tropes, but that's more of a nerd gripe.

I did love the aesthetic of this, all the design and detail of the village is very cool and they obviously did a lot of homework on it. It's not scary nor does really surprise you with anything, way but there is a strong rising feeling of dread and inevitable doom throughout. The movie is also often very funny, the one scene that everybody latched onto is legit some of the best comedy I've seen a bit.

So a great watch for the scenery and general strangeness very slowly coiling into tension, but they really could've done a lot more with this much running time imo.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I wouldn't describe it as scary, but neither was Hereditary (at least to me). The dark comedy is thick tho, that one particular scene is great and the hardest I've laughed in the theater in years, but Will Poulter was funny as hell too. It's unsettling as shit to me and the deeper angle that really hooked me is the relationship/empathy/group support line that runs through it. Going through an awful breakup a few years back I could relate to this movie like crazy, especially when the relationship stuff is really brilliantly put through the prism of a cult framed against how casually shitty people can be in a relationship and how hard it is to see the truth from the inside. Jordan Peele and Aster have almost created a new genre that I call the Rosemary's Baby Genre. It's labeled as horror, but it's not horror. I couldn't stop thinking about this movie for 3 days solid. They beautiful cinematography and set design and ability to get such a large cast playing roles so perfectly took it over the top for me. The performance that Florence Pugh gives is Oscar worthy IMO. The trippy camera tricks were cool as hell too.

Shit was just great, I can't complain about a single aspect.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I loved it a much preferred it over Hereditary. I actually kinda hated the ending of Hereditary, tbh.
Midsommar, however...was weird, creative, gory and shot beautifully. And it's not really like any other movie I can think of.
It also has some highly relatable "Being in a relationship sucks" moments that added a very human side to a movie that is fairly ridiculous.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Had to wait forever. Release date was pushed back by two weeks :owens:

Agree with drizzle I think. Hereditary really hit me hard and the family drama really struck my guts fiercely, there's something similar at work here but it didn't have the same devastating impact. The relationship bit left me kind of cold but the aspect of losing your family and being offered a new "home" under sinister premises left the biggest impression on me.

If the funny scene you guys are talking about is the sex scene then I took it completely differently and was very annoyed with the childish laughter in the cinema. Maybe that's on me.

Visually this was unbelievably tasty and did a good job of transferring the acidy moments to the viewer. I was actually relieved when the first scary drug scene was cut short because I was starting to panic a bit in my seat too :cas:

I saw The Little Drummer Girl recently and already had huge respect for Pugh and she really impressed here again.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB