"The Irishman" (Deniro, Pacino, Pesci, Scorcese)

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Employee
Fast Eddie

"The Irishman" (Deniro, Pacino, Pesci, Scorcese)

Post by Employee »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: "The Irishman" (Deniro, Pacino, Pesci, Scorcese)

Post by Philaflava »

looking forward to seeing Joe and Bobby do their thing together, again. Action Bronson makes a cameo in this.

The Road

Post by The Road »

Saw it over the weekend.
It's superb. Probably will be the last of its kind.
Script, cinematography, acting - everything is just right. Pesci KILLS it.
Deserves to be seen on the big screen.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Very very good, feels like Scorsese is critiquing his past work and career on screen through the lens of this movie, expanding on previous ideas and themes and occasionally maybe even correcting himself. A very complex and layered movie, leaves you with tons and tons of stuff to think about. The last hour is devastating. Agreed that Pesci is the standout, one of his best roles ever, if not the best.

With all that said, the de-aging thing didn't sit right with me. It's not a deal breaker by any means, it even adds additional layers of meta meaning, but still.... shit's weird.

The Bronson cameo is fine, literally 30 seconds and plays like Jim Jones randomly popping up in The Wire for no reason.

The random cameos from the Sopranos cast were very welcome though. Kinda wondering if Marty is purposefully winking at the audience by pinning this whole movie to somebody's daughter's wedding and throwing in supporting actors from the Sopranos into the background. I'm probably overthinking that one.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Took me a minute or two to get used to the CGI deageing, After that it seemed natural to me (except for the watermelon guy who i initially though was a CGI aged/fattened Stephen Graham.)

Criticism of Anna Paquin's lack of lines from certain quarters just comes off as yer usual "Scorsese doesn't care about female characters" griping even though this was definitely a The Boys Are Back In Town movie. That was the whole point of her character and she managed to convey multitudes with her face. I was more disappointed Keitel didn't get to do much, although his "he won't need it" line x2 about the Whispers was a great mixture of chilling/funny.

Frank Vincent obviously woulda been in this if he hadn't died. Which character do you lot think he might have played?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

The Paquin thing is a very superficial critique, bafflingly dumb. We don't get to know her better.... because the father whose eyes we see her through didn't get to know her better.... because of his actions that we do get to see... and that's literally the whole point of the movie.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Pesci was fucking outstanding. Everyone was. Even Norton as Rickles was great!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Film was awesome. Fitting swan song for these guys.

Pesci got me fiendin' for new threads.

Thread badly needs Gusty Wingers' take on this portrayal of the pre-Sergio Tacchini years of the mob.

tehgiftofgab

Post by tehgiftofgab »

Had to watch it in two sittings but loved every second of it

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Incredible movie. No complaints here except for the length, but these days I don't really mind watching movies in multiple sittings.

The ending—that revolved around getting old—seemed like a send off for these guys, as this is likely the last movie like this that we'll get from them.

Edit: Going into this I thought I was going to hate the de-aging CGI, but I really didn't mind it at all. I do have to say as a minor gripe, that there were times that it was hard to buy these guys as tough guys when you could still tell they were moving around lethargically—even with the de-aging—at their current advanced age.

Y@k Bollox

Post by Y@k Bollox »

Was very good - mid tier Scorcese. Lot of characters felt very underdeveloped to me. Compare to say Goodfellas, where even the minor characters are memorable and really well thought out. Stephen Graham I felt was especially wasted. I'll always judge Scorcese's films harshly, and whilst this is probably going to be one of my films of the year, it's not one I think i'll revisit in the same was a lot of his others. Won't lie - I was checking my watch by hour three hoping they were about to wrap it up.

Stephen Graham had the best outfit in the movie

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

it's an absolutely ridiculous fit and I almost yelled PLAYED CALIFORNIA IN MY FLORIDA OUTFIT when I saw it

ric

Post by ric »

HAVE NOT YET SEEN

Versive

Post by Versive »

drizzle wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:15 pm
Very very good, feels like Scorsese is critiquing his past work and career on screen through the lens of this movie, expanding on previous ideas and themes and occasionally maybe even correcting himself. A very complex and layered movie, leaves you with tons and tons of stuff to think about. The last hour is devastating. Agreed that Pesci is the standout, one of his best roles ever, if not the best.
Well said. Despite its length, I've watched it multiple times already, which has been v rewarding.