Rambo back

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Comedy Quaddafi

Rambo back

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Hitting cinemas this weekend, if you didn't know.

Think it looks incredible. A decade ago Rambo was a breath of fresh air in the action genre and this looks like it might be just as good.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

admiral

Re: Rambo back

Post by admiral »

The last Rambo is one of my favorite movies of the decade - a glorious throwback to everything that made 80's action flicks incredible, with even more over the top blood and guts.

I'll be there opening night

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

This was not great, passable at best. Rambo gets plopped into a rushed Taken scenario. The setup doesn't feel coherent with the rest of the franchise and a few gestures toward it feel mostly ornamental. Doesn't help that the whole thing has exactly 1.5 action scenes, maybe 5 mins of the run time in total. There were a few interesting things set up that are never really followed up on, and it doesn't really take the address the larger themes of the franchise as the last movie should. I could be ok with it not doing anything dramatically at all, just give me violence, but 5 mins of action in 90+ minutes of Rambo movie is just not a good look.

Those 5 minutes of action are awesomely gruesome though, as are the 2 other brief moments where shit gets violent, I'll give it that. More of that would've helped a lot.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

admiral

Post by admiral »

Agree with Drizzle

I could give a shit about its politics, but to have less than 10 minutes of action is unconscionable. I did enjoy the Home Alone vibes at the end though...

Beastly Swagger

Post by Beastly Swagger »

I took it for what it was/is, gratuitous violence & action , I was not disappointed.