Favourite Dinosaur Jr Album

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Went to see these guys last night - f**king dooope. If they play near you, you should definitely check them out.

All the classic tracks from the first three albums - Forget The Swan, The Lung, Little Fury Things, ended with Freak Scene. We thought we'd be clever and left right after that, thinking they were too cool for an encore, and ended up missing their Just Like Heaven cover. Shame.

Gargoyle
In A Jar
Raisans
Little Fury Things
No Bones
Kracked
Forget The Swan
Repulsion
Budge
Tarpit
The Lung
Sludgefeast
Freak Scene

Encore -
Just Like Heaven
Does It Float
Mountain Man

Just remembered being in the pub afterwards and getting in a heated debated with two guys who were moaning about the 'lack of new material'. Idiots.

Saw Bobby Gillespie (I see that guy everywhere, I swear) and Mani, apparently Kevin Shields was there too.

jimmy78

Post by jimmy78 »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:Just remembered being in the pub afterwards and getting in a heated debated with two guys who were moaning about the 'lack of new material'. Idiots.
Heated debate?? Man, that could well have gone the way of the pear!!!

tpp

Post by tpp »

goddamn i wish i didn't have exams at the moment.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Good stuff, Yak.

When i saw them back in '93-ish J. Mascis went wild with the solo on "just like heaven" for, like, 10 minutes or so
man, they were ridiculously loud too.

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Good stuff, Yak.

When i saw them back in '93-ish J. Mascis went wild with the solo on "just like heaven" for, like, 10 minutes or so
man, they were ridiculously loud too.
Yeah, they were really, really loud. First time i've left a gig in ages with my ears ringing.

I saw them around 93 ish too - around the time 'Where You Been' dropped.

Tpp - they're playing again tonight.

Steezel Weezel

Post by Steezel Weezel »

I think Magik Markers are supporting them on their U.S. tour

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Steezel Weezel wrote:I think Magik Markers are supporting them on their U.S. tour
Eugene Kelly was the support in the UK - the guy from Captain America/The Vaselines/Eugenius. I think Nirvana covered them, not really familiar with their stuff. Would have liked to have seen him actually, but he was on really early - 7.30 or something.

Some nice merch for sale. My buddy Dan bought this really nice, hand silk-screened poster, printed on this really heavy card. He just told me he was on his way home all pissed up and a passing Tube blew it out of his hands onto the tracks - hahaha.

Dope, dope, dope night. I haven't come out of show buzzing like that for years

Anybody here heard/got "Where You Been"..?
what's that album like..?

Y@k Bollocks

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

I Drive A Lexus wrote:Anybody here heard/got "Where You Been"..?
what's that album like..?
Its... OK. 'Start Chopping' is good. I haven't listened to it in literally 10 years or so, but don't remember it being that good.

I have it on tape, I think i'm gonna try and download it... If i find it i'll post it.

Nice
i've never heard it and i can't even remember the singles off it but a friend recently told me it's actually a pretty good album if you ignore that it wasn't going to be another "you're living.." or "bug".

I do remember the couple of albums they dropped after "where you been" though
..terrible.

zizek

Post by zizek »

The debut is strange. They were casting around for a sound, resembling the Cure on several songs. But there are several classics, including "Severed Lips" which contains one of my favorite lyrics:
"Let the world be free of my disease./ Who ever knew a rubber doll would be so hard to please?"

You have Yak Bollocks to thank for this one.

Dinosaur Jr-where you been.

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

never heard any dinosaur jr. outside of feel the pain. this where you been cd sounds pretty damn good. thanks for the upload.

i have to say, i'm really diggin a lot of the late 80s/eary 90s band knowledge some of you have been dropping lately. 91/92 was the time i first started discovering music on my own, and nirvana and pearl jam were the beginning for me. so finding out about the likes of the pixies, dinosaur jr. and others is great at a time when i'm not really digging very much rock these days on the radio.

so, yeah. thanks and shit :grin: