What's the Most Important Part of a Movie?

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

cascarrabias

What's the Most Important Part of a Movie?

Post by cascarrabias »

Is it story? Casting? Editing? Writing? Cinematography? Did I already make this thread?

What do you think? What's the most important part of a movie?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Originality and writing. I think great writing is what enables a movie to stand the test of time.

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

the nudity.

(but on the real, i'm a big cinematography fan, and story line has to be good as well).

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

9/10 writing is the most imporant part.

Andvil

Post by Andvil »

hmm

I dont know
I'd say writing too. And cinematography.
I mean, all that shit's important.
I really love it when a movie has great original music though. I.E. Amelie, Willy Wonka, Singin in the Rain, Requiem For A Dream, etc.
It's rare these days. I'm talking either a great score or a musical with amazing music. Fuck some original song that Green Day wrote for some shitfest.

I dont know if that makes any sense, but whatever.
EVERYTHING is important

shopvack

Post by shopvack »

gotta be the writing. now and then effects can save a movie, but most movies can't function without good dialogue.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

ackbar wrote:9/10 writing is the most imporant part.

FreshShabazz

Post by FreshShabazz »

story... nothing else is even close.

"the hardest thing is to forgive, but God does/ even if you've murdered and robbed, yeah it's wrong, but God loves/ take one step towards him, he takes two towards you/ even when all else fails God supports you."

Peeping Tom

Post by Peeping Tom »

I'd say actors

I've seen some of the shittiest dialogue, ideas, story twists pulled off because the guy is making this stupid shit seem believable

and on the opposite end of the spectrum

shitty acting just makes things unbearable

Kid B

Post by Kid B »

What I thought this thread meant at first sight was what part of the movie is most important like the beginning, exposition, climax or resolution.
I don't know exactly when I figured it out, but the best cinematic masterpieces have very important beginnings.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

I'd probably have to go with writing.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Thee Pro Doosur.

curiouscharles

Post by curiouscharles »

cinematography, it can make bad everything look good, and good everything look bad.

Masked Terror #1

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

Gimme some ill visuals and I'm straight.

Film as an almost exclusively linear narrative medium is played.

It's as if painting never advanced beyond the three panel comic strip.

2root2

Post by 2root2 »

Andvil wrote:EVERYTHING is important

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

im gonna go on the limb and say editing is the core. you can write a drama but with proper editing you could turn that into a comedy.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Kalel wrote:im gonna go on the limb and say editing is the core. you can write a drama but with proper editing you could turn that into a comedy.
But the question is: could editing somehow magically turn 'Dude, Where's My Car' into a comedy?
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Cleanhobo wrote:
Kalel wrote:im gonna go on the limb and say editing is the core. you can write a drama but with proper editing you could turn that into a comedy.
But the question is: could editing somehow magically turn 'Dude, Where's My Car' into a comedy?
Only if they edit Ashton Kutcher's character getting a shotgun blast to the face in the first minute or so.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Psychosis Again wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
Only if they edit Ashton Kutcher's character getting a shotgun blast to the face in the first minute or so.
Maybe it's in the deleted scenes.

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

Cleanhobo wrote:
Psychosis Again wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
No, Ashton is still alive. I meant to include the actual homicide of Kutcher in the movie.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

Psychosis Again wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
Psychosis Again wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
No, Ashton is still alive. I meant to include the actual homicide of Kutcher in the movie.
Ah, yes. It would have been an instant classic, and would definitely be deserving of a spot in the majestic Criterion Collection.

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

I'm not sure, but I'm gonna say creative dialouge and use of storytellign devices, it seems most movies these days are so caught up in tryign to "look cool" and forget abotu substance.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

FreshShabazz wrote:story... nothing else is even close.
yeah, i have to be interested in what's going on at some level

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

i just saw the first few minutes of Boogeyman. That cheesy movie that one white guy that looks slightly different then all the other white guys.

well from what I saw, the cinematography was actually very good. Visually it seemed nice and had good use of color to really make the scene. But the direction was terrible. The scenes weren't really built up with any suspense. The dialogue was bad, but most of these kind of movies are like that. The story, from what I've seen, isn't very good, but no worse then some other movies. The acting is fair to poor, but again in this genre thats to be expected. The main problem is clearly the directing.

I think one of the most underrated elements is definetly the music. Thats one of those things that I can never get passed in a movie. It's one of the reason why i hate micheal bay movies, he reuses the same music in almost every movie.

slimebucato

Post by slimebucato »

^ Boogeyman is the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I wanted to vomit and die and the same time while I was watching it.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

ChristPuncher wrote:^ Boogeyman is the worst movie I have ever seen in my entire life. I wanted to vomit and die and the same time while I was watching it.
thats what i've been told. actually i've tried to sit down and watch twice now. still haven't gotten past the first 15 minutes or so.