Rambo Back On Duty

Discuss the world of entertainment; movies, tv, journalism and radio.

Moderator: drizzle

cascarrabias

Rambo Back On Duty

Post by cascarrabias »

"Rambo" Back on Duty
Wednesday June 1 8:47 PM ET

Rambo is coming out of hiding and looking for some fresh blood.

After a 17-year layoff, Sylvester Stallone is ready to reprise his role as everyone's favorite muscle-bound Green Beret for a fourth installment in the popular 1980s film franchise.

After protracted legal wrangling, the rights to Rambo were snapped up in 1997 by Miramax's genre division, Dimension Films. But a planned Rambo IV stalled. Now, with Miramax heads Harvey and Bob Weinstein exiting Disney, they have sold the sequel rights for the intrepid character to Nu Image/Millennium Films, and the project is finally moving forward.

In addition to breaking the old red bandanna out of mothballs, Stallone, 58, will write the screenplay.

"I've signed the deal and I have the old headband, machine gun and bow and arrow ready to go. I am looking forward to showing movie fans the real action hero again," Stallone said in a statement.

Stallone, who earned an Oscar nomination for writing the original Rocky and who has directed such flicks as Staying Alive and Rocky V, compared Rambo IV to such 1970's revenge classics as Straw Dogs and Deliverance.

The sequel opens with our brooding Vietnam vet finally settling down with a wife and child, while still working for the military. (Sadly, Richard Crenna, who costarred in the three previous installments as Rambo's longtime commander, Colonel Samuel Trautman, will be MIA from the new sequel, havingdied in 2003.)

Though he's "assimilated into the tapestry of America," workplace stress forces Rambo to leave the big city and move his family to the boonies. Their lives are upended however by white supremacists unhappy about a part-Navajo man moving into the area. When the racists take Rambo's 10-year-old daughter hostage, dad is forced back into action to rescue her.

According to Stallone, the new film will be similar in tone to the "character-driven" franchise-launching First Blood (1982), in which Rambo uses his battle-honed skills to get even with a small-town sheriff, as opposed to the more cartoonish action-packed sequels. Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) was the blockbuster film of the series, featuring Rambo returned to Vietnam to rescue fellow POWs; 1988's Rambo III found our hero battling the Soviet army with the help of Afghan guerrillas.

If Rambo is able to tap into moviegoers' rah-rah nationalist fervor that made him so popular during Reaganmania of the '80s, Nu Image boss Avi Lerner promises more first blood adventures.

"It's a franchise," Lerner says. "If number four works, then you have a number five."

That

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

We'll see how it turns out but I'm not holding my breath

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

i hope he kils some gooks

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

straight to video/incinerator
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Psychosis Again wrote:straight to video/incinerator
Eye See You aka Detox had a dope set and Jeffrey Wright, but that was about it

HopeLess
Steve Roger's Ghost

Post by HopeLess »

StormShadow wrote:i hope he kils some gooks
:lol:

But for real, Ill check it out.

cuntface

Re: Rambo Back On Duty

Post by cuntface »

cascarrabias wrote: If Rambo is able to tap into moviegoers' rah-rah nationalist fervor that made him so popular during Reaganmania of the '80s, Nu Image boss Avi Lerner promises more first blood adventures.
would it appeal to jingoism though if the bad guys are americans?

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

WORST MOVIE EVER

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Moe Cheeks wrote:WORST MOVIE EVER

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

^ It's actually Freddy Got Fingered.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Psychosis Again wrote:^ It's actually Freddy Got Fingered.
I can happily say I've never had the displeasure.